Revised timelines

Jonas Öberg

Jun 14, 2011, 9:34:44 AM6/14/11
to p2pu-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

I know that many of you have said that it's difficult for you to find
time with writing the projects. While I hope you still keep this on a
priority, I understand that we are all working on different schedules.
I think we should be a little bit more flexible with the deadlines and
I won't stick strictly to it.

If you agree, then I think that we should work towards the end of
August as a final deadline for the course instead. That should give
everyone during the summer to work as well. I'll allow time for our
reviewer Julia and myself to read and comment on proposals *as you
submit them*, and once I have a few that's been reviewed and edited,
then I'll put you together two-and-two so you can review each other's
proposals, but this depends on when each of you finish your editing.

Does this sound reasonable?

--
Jonas Öberg, Executive Director, Föreningen fri kultur och programvara (FFKP)
Phone: +46 31 780 21 61 ---- Webb: http://ffkp.se/

Isla Haddow-Flood

Jun 14, 2011, 10:00:04 AM6/14/11
to p2pu-f...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jonas. That would really help from my side!!
: :
Isla Haddow-Flood
Marketing and Communications Manager

a. 1st Floor, 44 Long Street, Cape Town w. www.africacentre.net
c. 074 197 3429 t. +27 21 422 0468 f. +27 21 422 0446

The Africa Centre is a non-profit organisation that is a platform for
exploring
contemporary Pan-African artistic practice as a catalyst for social change.

Fabiana Kubke

Jun 14, 2011, 5:48:25 PM6/14/11
to p2pu-f...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jonas, this will be of great help!
Cheers
Fabiana

Jonas Öberg

Aug 1, 2011, 5:25:38 AM8/1/11
to p2pu-f...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

end of August is soon approaching, and I've seen some activity from a
few of you but definitely not all :-) Who thinks they can deliver
something in four weeks?

Also: as a bonus question, it's interesting to get some feedback about
P2PU and the course itself. My personal feeling from the past months
is that the primary problem has been that everyone is too busy, and
that writing a proposal actually takes longer than one thinks. If this
is true, it will influence the way we do things in the future: perhaps
less time should be spent on the discussions and more time on
workshops where we advance more with a more limited number of
projects.

Perhaps working together in pairs around projects, not necessarily
your own projects, might also be good. Let me know your thoughts.

Jonas

Daniel Mietchen

Aug 1, 2011, 7:58:32 AM8/1/11
to p2pu-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonas,

thanks for reminding us of our own goals - perhaps we need more of that...

Our project is still advancing, and you can follow the process by way of
http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/User:OpenScientist/Open_grant_writing_-_Encyclopaedia_of_original_research
and
https://github.com/Daniel-Mietchen/Open-Research-Proposals
as usual, but we are slower than envisioned.

This is partly due to us being busy with other projects - e.g. Fabiana
has moved her lab, and I wrote a smaller grant proposal in parallel,
which was successful (perhaps in part because of the course) and is
described at http://science.okfn.org/2011/07/26/wikimedian-in-residence-on-open-science/
- and because the involvement of others that we hoped to get by
drafting in the open took place more slowly than we had hoped, simply
because everyone else is also too busy with their main projects.

However, we did get offers to help from a rather unexpected end - two
companies - but they prefer the collaboration to be a bit less open
for the moment, so what we do with them in order to make the proposal
stronger is not visible right now (it will be when it's ready, and
that hopefully is before the end of August).

As for improving the course, I think that having some "compulsory"
interaction between the individual projects would help, even though it
would add to the time burdens.

Cheers,

Daniel

Patricio Velasco

Aug 1, 2011, 9:59:54 AM8/1/11
to p2pu-f...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jonas,

Ddi you receive my proposal? I send it a couple of weeks a go.
Regarding the course, I think that dead lines should be more flexible, in the way in which we are currently working. Also, it was a lot of information and tips in the first sessions, maybe it is better have fewer meetings and concentrate them in workshops where we present our recent advances.

Greetings!

PS: Congratulations for your new position at CC.
--
Patricio Velasco Fuentes.
ONG Derechos Digitales.