School of Webcraft Update - May 24th, 2011

Pippa Buchanan

May 24, 2011, 7:05:36 AM5/24/11
[Click here to view this update in a web browser]

Twice a month we bring you updates on School of Webcraft, Mozilla's free web-development training community organised in partnership with Peer 2 Peer University (P2PU). We also use this update to let you know about the great new features that have been released in P2PU's new site.

If you can't find a study group or course that suits your needs, get involved and create your own! Our community of passionate web developers is here to help you with advice about resources and useful tasks to learn your topic.

New P2PU Feature - "Branch" from an existing course or study group.

P2PU is almost ready for the final transition to its custom-developed Lernanta platform.  The P2PU Dev community has been updating content and adding features to make this transition easier for all learners.

2nd Phase of the School of Webcraft Badge Pilot

Together with P2PU, Mozilla is working on Open Badges, a framework that tracks your learning achievements.  Our first focus for this new technology is providing peer-assessed badges for Web Developers.

Group Spotlight - HTML and CSS from the Beginning

Jamie Curle's running a great course about HTML and CSS from the Beginning. He's writing HTML in his greenhouse and making ordered lists of meat.

Next week we'll be interviewing Jamie to learn more about his reasons for getting involved with School of Webcraft and to find out his tips for organising an exciting project.

If you know of some exciting School of Webcraft news we should be reporting - let us know!

Need advice? Want to get the most out of School of Webcraft and P2PU?

Take a look at the Help Desk group on the new site for answers to any questions you may have about participating in P2PU, and regular updates about the new site's features.

Get Involved

There are lots of great ways to get involved with School of Webcraft and help build our community of web developers.

  • Start a learning project at School of Webcraft
    It's easy, just create a P2PU account and follow the prompts.
  • Got a question about School of Webcraft?
    Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.
  • Join the Webcraft Discussion List
    To participate in ongoing discussions about the project, sign-up here.
  • Dying to just hack?
    Learn more at the Contributing to Lernanta group.
    Submit a bug on the trackerContribute to the code at Github

This (and all P2PU mailings) are licensed under CC BY-SA. Please feel free to translate it and share it with your friends!