Fwd: Continuing ed courses of note (DIYbio University)

Heath Matlock

Jan 25, 2010, 12:22:45 AM1/25/10
to p2pu-d...@googlegroups.com
Forwarded conversation
Subject: Continuing ed courses of note (DIYbio University)
------------------------

From: Bob Keyes <keye...@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 6:19 PM
To: diy...@googlegroups.com

Hello all,
I go to Harvard Extention School, Harvard's night school. There's a
few courses which might be interesting to people on this forum which
are being offered this term. Unfortunately, scheduling conflicts are
preventing me from enrolling in any of them, as my primary course of
study is computer science. Here's some of note:

Fundamentals of Microfluidics with Applications in Biological Analysis
and Discovery, ENSC E-155. $1800. Course web site
http://isites.harvard.edu/course/ext-22768/2010/spring

Principles of Genetics, BIOS E-14, $600-$1800,
http://isites.harvard.edu/course/ext-22962/2010/spring

Principles of Human Disease: Cellular Metabolism, BIOS E-234 (online
only) $1850, http://isites.harvard.edu/course/ext-23029/2010/spring

There's an Introduction to Microbiology that I would have loved to
have taken, but it's full with a waitlist. But I am supposed to do CS
anyhow. There's more courses than what I've mentioned above. Some are
available as 'distance-ed' online and some are not. Some courses are
cheap if you take them not for credit, more expensive if you take them
for undergrad credit, and most expensive for grad. credit.

What I'd like to see is other people post interesting classes,
particularly those which are distance-ed with no admission
requirements. Even those which are taught 'in the flesh' (classroom)
would be worthy of knowing about.

And I know this is far-fetched, but I like to think about the idea of
a DIYbio University, completely online. Hrm. Maybe we can arrange
something informal to start? For instance, in the future I can teach
people how to make their own microbial fuel cell. Lectures could be on
you-toob or similar. Q&A, advisories, discussion on IRC or forum.

----------
From: William Heath <wgh...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 7:25 PM
To: diy...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bob,
I am interested in learning from you!
-Tim
----------
From: Bob Keyes <keye...@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 9:40 PM
To: diy...@googlegroups.com

OK William when I am ready to get the course together I'll be sure to
let you know!

From: Michael Gross <mdgr...@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 11:11 AM
To: diy...@googlegroups.com

Bob, but does that mean you are going to put together an entire
curriculum (curricula) for all of us?

Either/or, I am willing to contribute as someone who can aid in
structuring content. Maybe just a place for people to add links which
can be queried. Actually, I would have thought that this had been
going on all over the country, by now. Is that not the case?

Can anyone on this list confirm that there isn't already some
significant grassroots movement for home-based video education, as
regards DIY BIO? That is, besides the most elementary videos ("This is
a virus, it has a protein coat", etc).

________________________________

----------
From: Tito Jankowski <titoja...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 11:28 AM
To: "diy...@googlegroups.com" <diy...@googlegroups.com>

For molecular biology, there are videos around the net. I think there
was an lecture series from India, and a search on MIT's open
courseware will probbly lead you to a semester's worth of lecture
videos in various topics.

Tito

--

----------
From: J. S. John <phill...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 2:28 PM
To: diy...@googlegroups.com

Its one thing to have videos but a structured learning system will be
of greater use. Maybe we can use a wiki structure. It would need
powerpoints or similar items to guide interested sutdents. There must
be use of cheap or open source texts that one can follow. Even using
past editions of older texts will reduce expenses.

Just throwing some ideas around. I would like to help also. I'm
Biochemistry student with interests in computational and
statistical/mathematical biology/chemistry.

----------
From: Heath Matlock <heathm...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 11:21 PM
To: diy...@googlegroups.com

If you guys and gals are really going to go through with this, would
you consider teaming with the P2P University? http://p2pu.org They are
lacking in quite a few courses, but they are working toward
accreditation, and they have decent funding.

--
Heath Matlock
+1 256 274 4225

--