The week at P2PU - 18 Mar 2011

Philipp Schmidt

Mar 18, 2011, 8:22:31 PM3/18/11
to p2pu-a...@googlegroups.com

The P2PU Update on 18 Mar 2011

// Co-produced by Bekka & Philipp (Do you have news to report for the next update? Send them to bekka...@gmail.com)

Planning the new platform

Last week, Zuzel our tech lead, met with Stian and Philipp to get the design discussion started. This coming week, more meetings will take place in San Francisco to finalize the list of key pages and features, and then start building so that we can run the first prototype courses on http://new.p2pu.org in this upcoming April round. Ali is working on a blog post that will explain what all of this means for course organizers and users in more detail. You can follow progress (and get involved) on the task tracker.  out the list of tasks and milestones on our task tracker http://bit.ly/dUWEDG

More courses

Our call for courses for April went out. It's been tweeted, blogged and mailed out and draft courses are starting rolling in! Courses launch on 25 April. If you’ve got an idea for a course, study group or workshop you’d like to participate in, simply create a course plan or view existing course drafts. If you are not sure about starting your own group, we invite you to join the orientation where the community will be on hand to help you out. All the details are here: http://bit.ly/courses-april

The migration(s) continues

Not geese, but our tech migration and consolidation continues. DNS is the system that translates p2pu.org into an IP address (a string of numbers) which your computer needs to find our server. Our DNS was recently moved from one webhost to another, which is a pretty big deal if something goes wrong. But nothing did go wrong ;-) And the School of Webcraft Discussion & Announcement lists have moved over to the new P2PU mailing listservs.  All 500 million trillion webcrafters are reported to be happy, which I think we can all call a definite win. If you are not already on them, you can sign up to the Discussion List here:  http://lists.p2pu.org/mailman/listinfo/p2pu-webcraft and the Announcement list here:  http://lists.p2pu.org/mailman/listinfo/p2pu-webcraft-announce

So who? So what? SoSi!!!

The School of Social Innovation are busy busy busy. As you know they were the first project to receive a P2PU Schools micro-grant, and even before the paperwork is completed, they are now proposing an open research project to explore in detail the many different ways and methods through which peer to peer courses are design and created. Anyone is welcome to join the discussion: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1keZ1RefAMVfLnnEU_4NDLmUH9CjQKeRywzRcBbta8i4/edit?hl=en&authkey=CITtmeEL.

P2PU Presentations & Media

SXSW - http://slidesha.re/eQ2Ixm

University of California Humanities Research Institute - http://bit.ly/uchri-p2pu

Digital Media and Learning - New Collectives Panel