The week at P2PU - 5 Mar 2011

Philipp Schmidt

Mar 5, 2011, 2:36:19 PM3/5/11
to p2pu-a...@googlegroups.com
The P2PU Update on 5 Mar 2011 - your shelter from the storm

// Co-produced by Bekka & Philipp (Do you have news to report for the next update? Send them to bekka...@gmail.com)

No matter how mad your week has been, how tired or frazzled you may feel, P2PU is here, like a virtual cup of tea and a ginger biscuit, to help restore and soothe your soul. This week, it's all about the friends, because every peer needs a posse ... or a gaggle.

More money - Learn how to get funding for your Creative Commons projects

In a moment of deep web post-modern inter-connectedness, our friends at CC are helping run a course at P2PU in April, which is all about “Getting your CC project funded,” The course consists of a series of workshops and seminars that will take you through the steps from an initial idea to having a finished project proposal for submission. You provide the idea; the course provides the guidance to turn it into a proposal that can’t be refused. The course will be run by Jonas Öberg from the Nordic CC network, a lecturer at the University of Gothenburg in Sweden with extensive grant writing and reviewing experience with the European Commission and several Nordic cultural foundations.

More badges

Erin's badge paper has gone global - it went out on the Digital Media and Learning community list and we've been getting a lot of positive feedback. The next step is to build out our badges pilot, and design a whole map of badges that will allow different pathways for aspiring web developers in the School of Webcraft. Another piece of the badges picture came into focus last week when Brian built a prototype badge creator. We'll be smoothing out some of the rough edges in the next weeks, but the idea was to create a space where we can let anyone create badges for the friends - and then see what happens. http://builder.p2pu.org

More tools

Why not take a look at the following annotation tool: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/246391/bookmarklet/demo.html We have worked on this with our friends at the Open Knowledge Foundation and are curious to see how the tool could be brought into the P2PU context. It is a prototype and we would love some feedback - either on the community list or directly to the OKFN developers.

More animation

And, in more friend news, the updated storyboard for Alison and Natalie's Pixar-beating animation is now ready for review. Take a look here ( http://wiki.p2pu.org/w/page/36575413/animations) and let us know what you think. Does it encapsulate what P2PU is?

More C-c-c-c-Courses...

And, while we're speaking about courses, the call for April courses is nearly ready to go out. Yup, we're gearing up for the next round, so keep your eyes on the mailing lists to find out the when, why and who. Don't be caught napping!

More weekend - have a great one!