Military option on table concerning Iran

goozlefotz

Jun 9, 2007, 6:33:00 AM6/9/07
to P0liticalF0rum
Yahoo! News

Military option on table concerning Iran

Military action is one of the options in dealing with Iran's nuclear
program, Israel's deputy prime minister said Saturday, after
discussing the issue with senior U.S. officials.

For now, sanctions are the best way to go, said the Cabinet minister,
Shaul Mofaz. He said Israel and the U.S. agreed to review the
effectiveness of sanctions at the end of 2007.

Mofaz met earlier this week with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.
At the time, State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said he was not
aware of any discussion of a deadline for diplomacy.

The United Nations has imposed sanctions twice against Iran for
defying international will with its uranium enrichment program. The
United States and its allies have signaled their support for harsher
sanctions.

Mofaz told Israel Radio on Saturday that the U.S. and Israel agree on
how to deal with Iran.

"The strategy shared by the U.S. and Israel has three elements," Mofaz
told Israel Radio. "One is a united international front against the
Iranian nuclear program. Secondly, at this time, sanctions are the
best way to act against the aspirations of Iran."

He said the third element is "a very, very clear signal and a clear
statement that all options are on the table." Mofaz added: "I never
said there is no military option, and the military option is included
in all the options that are on the table, but at this time it's right
to use the path of sanctions, and to intensify them."

Iran insists that its program is designed to produce civilian energy.
It has resisted Western offers of diplomatic and economic benefits if
it would suspend enrichment programs.

Copyright © 2007 The Associated Press.

Rebel

Jun 9, 2007, 8:08:32 AM6/9/07
to P0liticalF0rum
Well let Israel first disarm her nuclear missiles, Then the U.S should
talk to Iran, If Pakistan that harbour terrorist are left untouched
because they are part of the N.P then I see no reason why Iran cannot
defend itself. All this bally hoo for what? You could knock out Irans
missiles in a heart beat if needed.

Rebel

GATORPOP

Jun 9, 2007, 9:21:14 AM6/9/07
to P0liticalF0rum
There is a key difference between "the military option" and "the
nuclear option".

The quoted article is bland. For Israel, the military option is
always on the table. It was on the table yesterday and will be again
tomorrow.

The only reason it became newsworthy was that it was repeated by
Israel at this particular conference.

The US has also said that the military option is on the table with
respect to the proposed Iraqi bomb--that is not news either.

If either the US or Israel had said "The nuclear option is on the
table" that would be a notable ramping up of the Iran rhetoric.

Rebs raises an interesting point. Israel will not give up it's
nukes, So Rebs, do you feel Iran should be allowed to have 200 nukes
as well, to balance the equation?

GP

> > Copyright © 2007 The Associated Press.- Hide quoted text -

goozlefotz

Jun 9, 2007, 10:38:34 AM6/9/07
to P0liticalF0rum
My point was that Israel and the US had private talks, after which
Israel tried to rachet up the rhetoric by supposedly putting a
timetable on diplomacy. Of course, no one is going to give away the
military chip. That, as you say, is not news.

Rebel

Jun 9, 2007, 5:23:33 PM6/9/07
to P0liticalF0rum
I believe that if Israel which is a tool of the U.S. is armed to the
teeth with nukes, Then there is no balance in the M.E. You have a
balance outside of the M.E. with Russia, Britain, France, holding the
nukes, Then we have Asia, with China, India, Pakistan, holding the
nukes, Now back to the M.E. There is no proof that Iran is building a
Nuke....everything is guess work...just like Iraq, so to answer your
question, either Israel gives up its Nukes, and the power adjustment
comes from outside the M.E. or arm the Iranians to balance the
situation in the M.E, Now we know that cannot happen, Because the
Iranians bless their heart, would annialate Israel at the first
opportunity. So its Protect Israel and let them get away with
everything that they are doing so at this moment, or go to war with
Iran. Neither option is good. Again the U.S and French have started a
problem in the M.E and left it to others to think about. Balance is
essential for peace in the M.E. But with the U.S involved at every
turn of the page, I cannot see any peace for the future in the M.E.
Churchill said, The third world war will come from the M.E. Do I smell
some smoke in the air?
G.P it is complicated and I do not even know if my comments are just.
Its what I feel is going on at this moment with the Oil crisis looming
in the M.E. We need to find an alternative and let the Arabs keep
their oil, without it they are nothing.

Rebel

goozlefotz

Jun 9, 2007, 5:28:00 PM6/9/07
to P0liticalF0rum
Good post!

GATORPOP

Jun 9, 2007, 6:46:19 PM6/9/07
to P0liticalF0rum
I agree. Rebs has given us a very thoughtful, honest and complete
post.

Perhaps we can agree that Israel's possession of some 200 nukes has
caused no harm--they have had them for decades without using them and
without any ultimatums threatening to use them. It seems clear that
they regard them as a deterrant needed by the only Democracy in the
mid-east. So there has been no need for a countervailing Arab nuclear
force so far at least.

We should not forget that while Israel has attacked Palestinian
extremeist groups, so also have extremists attacked Israel--we need
only remember the recent and totally unprovoked Hezbollah 30 day
rocket attacks on Israel to realize that it takes two to make a fight.

And right now, Syria is massing it's forces next to the Golan Heights
either as sabre rattling or something worse.

Finally, we need to give our own countries, the US and UK credit for
trying hard over the years to broker peace. The US brokered the peace
treaty between Israel and Egypt-a major step toward peace. We were
right in the middle of the Oslo accords and have been staunch
supporters, along with other countries, in the "Road Map" I strongly
believe the road map is a fair compromise for both sides and if Hamas
had not taken power away from the PLO might have had a chance. The US
has always said that it favored a Palestinian State.

But I am like you--this is nothing but somewhat informed ideas. I
make no claim to know how to end the present dangerous impasse.

GP

> > Rebel- Hide quoted text -

Rebel

Jun 10, 2007, 11:10:31 AM6/10/07
to P0liticalF0rum
The first solution to peace between Palestine and Israel must be
considered, and that is Jerusalem, Until the problem of Jerusalem is
solved, there will be no peace.
Second solution, is the West bank, It is imperative that a withdrawal
is made and the west bank given back to the palestinians, Israel has
admitted that the structures and the amenities that have cost millions
of shekels is illegal, They keep stalling with the withdrawal in ways
such as , well we need to find a place for these settlers to be
accommodated. Now this has been going on for years, Also the Israels
must follow the resolutions imposed on them. But Jerusalem is the key
I think. Why, well this is the most holiest place on earth according
to the Jews and Cristians, so this has to be resolved , it may be
splitting up the town between both parties would help, Let the Jews
have the wailing wall part of the town, And the Christians the temple
part.

Rebel

Rafael rodrigez

Jun 10, 2013, 10:10:19 AM6/10/13
to p0litic...@googlegroups.com

Up to a few weeks ago, the upcoming elections in Iran gave rise to hopes that Ahmadinejad’s successor might be someone who can create a paradigm shift in Iran’s priorities.

Those hopes died out quite quickly as over 680 candidates were disqualified leaving only Khamenei’s puppets on the field.

Read the full post about Iran military power