Fw: The NYSE Itself is Bullish on this Tech

David Granteer

Jan 27, 2010, 11:42:02 AM1/27/10
to p0litic...@googlegroups.com
The NYSE Itself is Bullish on this Tech
By Nick Hodge | Wednesday, January 27th, 2010
Have you had your encounter yet?

Unless you're a complete shut-in, energy efficiency has undoubtedly
penetrated your day-to-day activities in some way.

From utility bill inserts to presidential pleas, it's hard to escape
the efficiency mantra that has swept the nation � and the world.

And while small steps are helping millions of homeowners save on their
energy bills, few realize the cumulative effect the trend toward
efficiency is having on billion-dollar corporations and the broader
public markets.

Indeed, the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) has literally adopted
energy efficiency, issuing the following statement after a big switch
in its approach to data management:

"Today's announcement means that NYSE Technologies and Voltaire can
now offer customers the lowest latency and most energy efficient
solution for accelerating market data applications. The performance
and cost savings this solution provides is critical for financial
services firms that rely on speed and performance to gain competitive
advantage but also need to keep a close eye on data center power
requirements and spending."

Obviously, the NYSE paid Voltaire for its services, as have numerous
other companies looking to lower the power bill associated with data
storage and processing. That's what I mean by the 'cumulative effect'
of the trend toward efficiency...

The Energy Efficiency Onion

If you think about efficiency as an onion, there are many layers from
which to profit, some easily identifiable and others more hidden.

In addition to data storage efficiency, investors can profit from
efficient lighting, cogeneration, insulation, smart glass, digital
meters, smart thermostats, Energy Star appliances, and so on. And
that's just off the top of my head.

The business world is currently in a frenzy to reduce energy usage,
led by policy, incentives, and shareholder demand. Companies realize
they can improve their bottom lines � and, therefore, value for
shareholders � by reducing operational costs. And they're willing to
pay upfront to do so.

Last week, I touched on the efforts of giant corporations like Wal-
Mart, Johnson & Johnson, and Morgan Stanley to streamline their
operations and reduce energy costs. Each example represented a unique
layer of the efficiency onion... and each one had a unique profit
angle for investors.

But this trend is only now embarking on a years-long journey.

PepsiCo just announced that seven of its plants went to zero waste in
2009 as part of the company's goal to shrink its footprint worldwide.
Not sending tons of garbage to the dump adds to the bottom line.

And UPS recently added 245 compressed natural gas trucks to its fleet,
bringing the total up to 1,900. Paying less to fuel a fleet of trucks
adds to the bottom line.

From Energy & Capital

margareth

Feb 14, 2010, 3:45:16 PM2/14/10
to P0liticalF0rum
They tried propane here. The first problem is that propane becomes a
liquid at -40, and does not burn well at that temperature. In many
regions of this country, that is a common situation, and would have
engines stalling particularly on short drives. The second difficulty
that they had in Ottawa with taxis was when they were involved in
collisions... not an unusual occurrence given the way they drive. It
shut down large areas of the road network while hazmat teams resolved
the issue.

On Jan 27, 11:42 am, "David Granteer" <dgrant...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The NYSE Itself is Bullish on this Tech
> By Nick Hodge | Wednesday, January 27th, 2010
> Have you had your encounter yet?
>
> Unless you're a complete shut-in, energy efficiency has undoubtedly
> penetrated your day-to-day activities in some way.
>
> From utility bill inserts to presidential pleas, it's hard to escape

> the efficiency mantra that has swept the nation and the world.

> they can improve their bottom lines and, therefore, value for
> shareholders by reducing operational costs. And they're willing to

Doc Holliday

Feb 14, 2010, 4:06:20 PM2/14/10
to P0liticalF0rum
Propane will become a liquid a 40 (f or c) at a specific barometric
pressure. There are factors also involved in what you are equating.
These are what is called flash points and ignition temperatures. The
liquid factor is related to the boiling point. One of the biggest
problems as it relates to boiling point is that as the liquid turns to
a gaseous state it cools the cylinder in which it is kept under
pressure thus causing the pressure to drop and starve the engine for
fuel. There are some simple ways to correct this issue.

Peace,
Doc

Doc Holliday

Feb 14, 2010, 4:22:32 PM2/14/10
to P0liticalF0rum
I just finished wiring my shop. I wired it so that I have different
ways / types of light as in zones as it relates to the mode in which
I'll be using light to work under and I've got the old traditional
1/4' steel wood stove to heat the room in back and I've done some work
on improving the burn rate and heat I capture. I'm planning on
building a header system which will go into a manifold and then to the
flue so I capture as much heat as possible before the hot gasses
escape. I've even thought of building an oven which I can also
regulate / vent some of the gasses into for smoked / barb b q meats
and real smoked beans and such. All the wood I use here is mostly
hickory and oak which makes for great flavoring. But I also fix it
where you can cook without venting any wood gases into the oven. Real
Bar B Q (as far as I'm concerned) as it relates to the smoke flavor is
much derived from the fats which burn and smoke. So I've got to
develope a way to get the grease to fall into a vessel of some sort
inside the stove and exposed to enough heat and or coals to generate
the proper mixture of wood and animal fat grease smoke.

Peace,
Doc

On Jan 27, 10:42 am, "David Granteer" <dgrant...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The NYSE Itself is Bullish on this Tech
> By Nick Hodge | Wednesday, January 27th, 2010
> Have you had your encounter yet?
>
> Unless you're a complete shut-in, energy efficiency has undoubtedly
> penetrated your day-to-day activities in some way.
>
> From utility bill inserts to presidential pleas, it's hard to escape

> the efficiency mantra that has swept the nation and the world.

> they can improve their bottom lines and, therefore, value for
> shareholders by reducing operational costs. And they're willing to

harry

Feb 15, 2010, 2:27:33 PM2/15/10
to P0liticalF0rum
See link for definitions of boiling points etc
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_conditions_for_temperature_and_pressure#Definitions.
Internal combustion engines are fitted with a heater worked from the
engine coolant to heat the propane, we heve lots over here, usually
vehicles with big engines. I can see how there would be problems in
Canada.

> > > �From Energy & Capital- Hide quoted text -

harry

Feb 15, 2010, 2:30:52 PM2/15/10
to P0liticalF0rum
With a wood stove you can't cool the combustion gases too much or you
will get tar formation in the chimney. This can catch fire amd do a
lot of damage.
It's important to burn dry wood only.

Doc Holliday

Feb 16, 2010, 12:25:21 AM2/16/10
to P0liticalF0rum
Harry, Do you know any simple way to gasify (http://www.answers.com/
topic/wood-gas-generator) the fuels in wood so the fuel is fully burnt
and or spent before they are exhausted?

I'm talking for a home heating system but iy looks like the automotive
application would be a likely candidate.

And what do you think about GEET?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6849353333190625456#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-NB_vZfqbM

Peace,
Doc

Doc Holliday

Feb 16, 2010, 12:33:37 AM2/16/10
to P0liticalF0rum
GEET

Directory:GEET Reactor by Paul Pantone
From PESWiki

(GEET = Global Environmental Energy Technology)

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:GEET_Reactor_by_Paul_Pantone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ath9fodgVw

Peace,
Doc

harry

Feb 16, 2010, 2:40:24 PM2/16/10
to P0liticalF0rum
The problem with wood gases is that they include heavy tars that can
gum up the works.
However, in the war years in the UK when petrol wasn't available a
technolgy evolved using charcoal/coke that involved drawing air
through a red hot mass (reduction zone) of coke/charcoal. sometimes
water vapour was introduced as well. The resulting gas carbon monoxide
(and hydrogen if there was water vapour) was burnt in an ICE engine.
Carbon monoxide is a deadly poison BTW.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_gas
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Producer_gas
The gas generator took the form of a vertical cylinder 6' long x 1'
diameter attached to the back of the car. The carbon fuel had to be
ignited to start up the reaction. A tray of water was put at the
bottom exposed to the heat so that steam was drawn in to make some
hydrogen which has a much higher calorific value than carbon
monoxide. The IC engine sucked air through the device.

harry

Feb 16, 2010, 2:51:47 PM2/16/10
to P0liticalF0rum
My previous comments apply. You don't get anything for nothing in the
world of physics.
What's happened to Gooze BTW?

Doc Holliday

Feb 16, 2010, 4:59:02 PM2/16/10
to P0liticalF0rum
RE:Water gas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_gas
Is this not where the sientific probability of natural gas as being
synthesized by the dynamics of molten lava, rock etc etc and the
continual generation of natural gas. If so then there theoretically
there should be enough natural gas to last us forever.

Peace,
Doc

On Feb 16, 1:40 pm, harry <susan.armit...@virgin.net> wrote:
> The problem with wood gases is that they include heavy tars that can
> gum up the works.
> However, in the war years in the UK when petrol wasn't available a
> technolgy evolved using charcoal/coke that involved drawing air
> through a red hot mass (reduction zone) of coke/charcoal. sometimes
> water vapour was introduced as well. The resulting gas carbon monoxide
> (and hydrogen if there was water vapour) was burnt in an ICE engine.

> Carbon monoxide is a deadly poison BTW.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_gashttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Producer_gas

Doc Holliday

Feb 16, 2010, 5:18:02 PM2/16/10
to P0liticalF0rum
I don't know what's happened to gooz, but I miss him. This board is
about the only board where I don't have to put up with all the
childish BS I get on the other boards I also get well informed due to
posters (including gooz) that post some very interesting very news
articles.

Hey and BTW I was in my shop a few minutes ago going through so old
electronics and found an old head set. I'll plug in the next day or so
and give Skype a shot

Hey and now about GEET and this "water gas" stuff. Can not you see
where there is a relationship between GEET and this gassification
process as in synthetically making natural gas with the additional
elements off water etc? You are always talking about the waste of an
internal combustion engine. Well the heet loss that the GEET proces
causes has to go somewhere; doesn't it. If you watch the video you
will notice that they talk about the exhaust gasses being cool and the
engine running cool. So tell me harry, what is happening to all the
heat that is typically generatyed by a four cycle internal combustion
engine. Is it not a posability that there is some sort of heat
exchange going and that the cost of that heat exchange is a natural
gas and or hydrogen based fuel (or some sort of fuel) in accordance of
that heat exchange? The energy is thus spent on making more fuel
available and that most of the typical heat loss that is associated
with and internal combustion engine has been applied to something the
engine can actually run making "work" out of that dreadful heat loss.
Think about it harry. Where is the heat going? Is it not possable it
is being used more effeciently to make work rather than heat?

Peace,
Doc

goozlefotz

Feb 16, 2010, 9:59:21 PM2/16/10
to P0liticalF0rum
I've been sick the past few days.

harry

Feb 17, 2010, 2:22:18 PM2/17/10
to P0liticalF0rum
Most of the heat loss from an ICE goes down the exhaust pipe as heat
and incompletely burnt fuel. With smaller losses to the radiator and
general heat losses from the engine.
This might interest you, it's a way of showing energy losses and
paths.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sankey_diagram
Re the GEET, I don't believe a word of it, the video proves nothing.
I wold want to see the thing myself and to dismantle it myself. It's a
load of bollocks & I cou d prove it in fifteen minutes with a few
spanners.
The reason we don't get all the crap on this site is that gooze takes
it off & blocks it.
Re the skype, the main thing you will need is the webcam and the
associated software. It just plugs into a USB port They are about
$10 new.
You will need a microphone and headphones or speaker. ( $5 or 6)They
plug into jacks on the back of the computer. You might need to fiddle
about finding the right jacks. You can often pick all this stuff up
second hand for next to nothing at your local computer repair shop..
My TV has a connection on the back so you can use it as a computer
monitor & I have the computer connected to the TV speakers.
So I have a 42" monitor and surround sound. Heh Heh. However the
picture is still pretty crap.
However when you're all fixed up, you can talk to and see anyone else
in the world for free. I call cheechdog pretty regularly. He is
coming to visit this year BTW
You can also make phone calls via skype but you have to pay for that.
It's really cheap but you have all the hassle of firing up the
computer to make a call.
It's all very easy to use, you will have no problem.
My skype name is Harold Armitage

harry

Feb 17, 2010, 2:22:51 PM2/17/10
to P0liticalF0rum
Hope you're OK now Gooze! :-)

goozlefotz

Feb 17, 2010, 7:44:19 PM2/17/10
to P0liticalF0rum
The laws of thermodynamics:
1. You can't win. (Meaning that a perpetual motion machine that
generates energy cannot be built.)
2. You can't even break even. (Meaning that a machine cannot be built
which is 100% energy efficient.)
3. Things are going to get worse before they get better. (Wasted heat
increases the entropy of the universe, which cannot be reversed.)

These rules came from a guy in the French Army, whose job it was to
bore cannons...

harry

Feb 18, 2010, 1:23:57 PM2/18/10
to P0liticalF0rum
Work is done when energy is converted from one form to another. Energy
cannot be created or destroyed.
The only 100% energy changes without unwanted "losses" are those where
the end product is heat, eg electricity to heat or mechanical energy
to heat.
Ones that are notoriously inefficient are those where the final
product is mechanical energy.. Eg an automobile engine where chemical
energy is converted to mechanical energy.

Doc Holliday

Feb 19, 2010, 8:05:51 PM2/19/10
to P0liticalF0rum
I'm still satisfied that the fuel that heats a catalytic converter
converter should be burned in the combustion chamber.

Peace,
Doc

harry

Feb 21, 2010, 10:17:56 AM2/21/10
to P0liticalF0rum
When the fuel/air in the cylinder of an ICE falls to a certain
temperature, combustion ceases. (Though there is still air and fuel
remaining). The function of the catalyser is to continue the burning
process at a lower temperature purely to reduce atmospheric pollution
caused by unburnt hydrocarbons.

Doc Holliday

Feb 21, 2010, 11:34:14 AM2/21/10
to P0liticalF0rum
Why not burn the the unburnt hydrocarbons in the combustion chamber;
What is GEET? GEET prepares those hydrocarbons that would not burn in
the combustion chamber either because the temperature drops and or
because the temprature never reaches a high enough temprature to burn.
So the GEET process transforms into a vapor that which can be use and
or converted into work rather that being burned in the catalytic
converter.

Did you know that the inventor was forced into a nut house for three
years?

Here's you evidence if you have any doubts that big oil, the auto
industry and the government would not do such to control the masses.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsJAlrYjGz8

Peace,
Doc

harry

Feb 22, 2010, 1:56:51 PM2/22/10
to P0liticalF0rum
The combustion process is no longer self sustaining because the
temperature has fallen as the combustion process progresses and the
piston moves down.and fallen again once the gases have exited the
cylinder and again expanded. Also the they are inhibited by the
presence of the combustion products.
The inventor was clearly in the nut house for good reason.

On 21 Feb, 16:34, Doc Holliday <dokholli...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Why not burn the the unburnt hydrocarbons in the combustion chamber;
> What is GEET? GEET prepares those hydrocarbons that would not burn in
> the combustion chamber either because the temperature drops and or
> because the temprature never reaches a high enough temprature to burn.
> So the GEET process transforms into a vapor that which can be use and
> or converted into work rather that being burned in the catalytic
> converter.
>
> Did you know that the inventor was forced into a nut house for three
> years?
>
> Here's you evidence if you have any doubts that big oil, the auto

> industry and the government would not do such to control the masses.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsJAlrYjGz8

> read more »- Hide quoted text -

Doc Holliday

Feb 22, 2010, 4:58:53 PM2/22/10
to P0liticalF0rum
Hey Harry. I'm going to build one and see what the hell happens. If
nothing else it'll make a good conversation piece. As I go I'll keep
everyone informed. Right now I'm in the middle of building a welding
table so I will have a platform to rebuild the transmission in my
Dodge truck (6 speed manual NV5600). This afternoon my Hobart welder
went on the fritz so now I'm working to find a solution of why it
won't strike and ark.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hobart-G-400-towable-welder_W0QQitemZ120534307269QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Welders?hash=item1c106791c5

Have you ever messed with one of these?

Peace,
Doc

> read more »

harry

Feb 23, 2010, 1:09:29 PM2/23/10
to P0liticalF0rum
I can tell you, nothing will happen!
I have an electric welder but it's mains electricity powered,
allegedly 150 amps but I don't think it actually is. It's very prone
to overheating, on the higher ranges I can only use it for five
minutes or so & it then trips out on overheat. Useless bastard thing
actually. It's a real cheapo, the windings are aluminium.
I was once interested in cars, built a couple from scratch but after a
while saw sense & I can't be bothered with them any more. I don't
have proper workshop at my new house anyway.
The car I have now, I lift the bonnet & there is hardly a component I
recognise. Fuel injection, computer controlled & all that stuff.
Still, it runs well enough. No coil, no distributer, no carburretor,
ABS antilock etc. etc. Nothing to fiddle with at all.

On 22 Feb, 21:58, Doc Holliday <dokholli...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Hey Harry. I'm going to build one and see what the hell happens. If
> nothing else it'll make a good conversation piece. As I go I'll keep
> everyone informed. Right now I'm in the middle of building a welding
> table so I will have a platform to rebuild the transmission in my
> Dodge truck (6 speed manual NV5600). This afternoon my Hobart welder
> went on the fritz so now I'm working to find a solution of why it
> won't strike and ark.
>

> http://cgi.ebay.com/Hobart-G-400-towable-welder_W0QQitemZ120534307269...

Vapor Cig

Dec 8, 2013, 8:55:04 AM12/8/13
to p0litic...@googlegroups.com, susan.a...@virgin.net
Yes, I agree with you that Work has done only when energy is converted from one form to another form. Just like when a man pick a rock and throw into the air then work has done here. The reason is that man energy is converted to kinetic energy..... Energy has different shapes which converted one form to another form...
E Liquid Bay Area | Vapor Liquid Flavors

goozlefotz

Dec 8, 2013, 12:44:41 PM12/8/13
to p0litic...@googlegroups.com, David Granteer
Anybody home?