What others are doing...

Karina Melendez

Jan 17, 2009, 1:04:38 AM1/17/09
to ozyma...@googlegroups.com
We could use this thread to post links to other experimental forms of publishing out there, and comment on their pros and cons.

This one is for emerging, and/or self-published authors who want to "beat the slush pile," "make it on-screen," and get picked up by HarperCollins:
http://www.authonomy.com/about.aspx
"We're much more than a community of book lovers. We're on a mission to flush out the brightest, freshest new writing talent around."

karina

malinda

Jan 19, 2009, 11:14:54 AM1/19/09
to ozymandias
I just wanted to share this video interview with Joss Whedon about new
media and Dr. Horrible's Singalong Blog -- it was very informative and
a bit inspirational, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo8ObiF9EDw

Malinda

Leela

Jan 28, 2009, 8:27:56 PM1/28/09
to ozymandias
Here's the ConSafo publishing experiment, which is the brainchild of
Gordon Atkinson. In summary, he published a book in the usual way
that was remaindered pretty fast, and bought back the leftover copies
which he now sells directly (but his living room is full of boxes).
For his second book he's selling advance copies; if he sells enough,
he'll actually publish it. The model as he's done it relies on the
goodwill of purchasers, since we're not actually sending money, just
emails committing to take x number of copies. Otherwise he'd need
some kind of fancy refund system in place. Still, it's lightweight,
straightforward, and friendly, and anyone with broad blog readership
could do it.

http://consafo.com/blog/

Leela

JenniferD

Feb 3, 2009, 3:29:40 PM2/3/09
to ozymandias
Have you seen this book - "Three Wishes"? It's a two volume
illustrated book with a music CD included.
http://tinyurl.com/arxn53

You may have gotten the same email I did from Amazon about it. Amazon
is really pushing it - offering a 10% commission for affiliates. I
was curious why, so I clicked through. I still don't know why they
are pushing it. It's kind of expensive at $25, and even the kindle
version is $19.

Jennifer

Evecho

Mar 10, 2009, 10:17:54 AM3/10/09
to ozymandias
Smashwords (www.smashwords.com) is an online publisher and bookstore
(mainly for e-books but links to a POD service). Authors upload a text
file, Smashwords converts them to nine e-formats and links the works
to online catalogues and affiliate sites. Authors set the price and
retain copyright, Smashwords takes about 15% gross from sale, author
gets net after transaction fees and affiliates' commission.

Interview with Mark Coker, the CEO, here:
http://lulubookreview.com/2009/03/07/its-read-an-e-book-week/

Evecho

http://evecho.wordpress.com