thank you, and an apology

nicola griffith

Jan 29, 2009, 3:45:10 PM1/29/09
to ozyma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Today I'd hoped to:
- give you a list of names of people who had committed to the project
- offer a suggestion about how to persuade the others to get with the programme
- come up with a notion of how to look at who we have, identify gaps and think about another recruitment drive
- figure out which authors, exactly, we want for our anthology
- work out who can reach them and charm them into helping
- decide on a more effective, streamlined way to communicate as a group
- and, oh, a zillion other things

but a funny thing happened on the way to the keyboard: I got sick.  So I'm sorry to say I can't do much for a while.

What I'm hoping is that a few of you can take some of these initial organisational steps between you.  I'll be reading everything but I simply don't have the energy at the moment to focus down and pull structural and organisational rabbits from the hat.  But I know we have some great people here who are perfectly capable of starting without me.

I hope you'll give it a go.

Nicola

--
www.nicolagriffith.com
http://asknicola.blogspot.com

Realmcovet

Jan 29, 2009, 4:57:34 PM1/29/09
to ozymandias
I had wondered how things were going to pan out for you, considering
all that you are having to endure right now. I really do wish a speedy
recovery for you Nicola.

As far as pulling rabbits out of hats and what not, I think we could
all work together to help this list of yours seem less overwhelming. I
think this would be deserving of you whether you fell ill or not,
truth be told.

So what do you all say? Shall we "have at it"?

In regards to Nicola's list:

-We definately need to know who is committed to the project.
-Perhaps a sort of friendly, "Hello, is anybody else out there? If
not, we go on unless you speak up" sort of a deal, in order to rectify
whom is willing and able to commit to the project.
-And once this is put into task, I believe we can have a better notion
of who we have and then be able to identify "gaps" as you say Nicola.
-As far as recruitment goes, I have no problem continuing to "promote"
and talk up "Ozymandias" on my own blog, as a matter of fact, I have
SEVERAL people in mind that I think would be perfect candidates for
this project, I have only to email them...what about any of you
others?
-I really like the Illiad idea, as well as the other authors you had
previously mentioned for anthology, Nicola. (Particularly Neil
Gaiman!!!)
-And as far as authors go? I dunno, all you other "famous" ones out
there would have to chime in on this one as far as "charming" them
into helping.
- I think right now, this google group thingy is an effective way to
communicate, but that is just me, and I haven't factored in the
possibility of other avenues of communication simply because I'm new
to all this. But I think if we all chip in and throw some things out
there, we can probably come up with a more definitive list to assist
Nicola and ourselves in getting the ball somewhat rolling.
-In regards to the "zillion other things", we can handle it Nicola.
Just get better!!! Soon!!!

Any thoughts anybody?
Rachel(Realm)

Adam Lowe

Jan 29, 2009, 6:08:30 PM1/29/09
to ozyma...@googlegroups.com
Michael Moorcock is always game but he's very ill. He keeps promising
to work with me on something, I just don't want to disturb someone
who's so ill. Jeff VanderMeer is also in contact occasionally. Maybe
also Justina Robson?

Regards

Adam Lowe

Features Editor
Bent [http://mag.bent.com]
Editor-in-Chief
Polluto [http://www.polluto.com]
Publisher/Editor
Dog Horn Publishing [http://www.doghornpublishing.com]

Mobile: +44 (0) 7906 242 232
Office: +44 (0) 113 279 3573

If you would like to stop receiving these emails, please reply with
UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject.

Leela

Jan 30, 2009, 9:07:07 AM1/30/09
to ozymandias
Okay, I don't know anything about prodding reluctant participants
except that it's generally not worth the effort. But I do know about
summaries. I've started a thread called "administrative details" for
posting done deals--things we've decided and can stop discussing, so
we can see our progress, things we know, resource lists, etc. To that
thread I have posted my summary of the introductions. We have 18
people "in", most of whom have either writing or publishing as a
background, with a handful of marketers and a few people like me whose
offerings are less obvious.

Go, us!

Leela, one thing at a time

Leela

Jan 30, 2009, 9:11:46 AM1/30/09
to ozymandias
Several of the ideas with the most interest involve an anthology of
known authors. The information about who we know is scattered to the
four winds. I've posted a thread called "authors we know" for posting
names of people we have some kind of connection with or have reason to
believe they'd contribute, and what sorts of things they write.
Please post there, then we'll know what we've got to work with.

Leela, making the baby steps