administrative details--not a thread for discussion

1 view

Leela

Jan 30, 2009, 9:03:16 AM1/30/09
to ozymandias
This is a thread for posting things we know, decisions that are made,
resources listed, etc.

Leela

Jan 30, 2009, 9:04:47 AM1/30/09
to ozymandias
Who's in?

Here's my list of names and summaries--these are all the people who
posted intros to the introduction thread. If I missed someone, please
let me know!

Leela

1. Malinda, f/t writer with writing, editing, freelance writing, web
publishing
2. Mark Heath: f/t magazine cartoonist, sells from website, does
greeting cards, working on picture books
3. Adam Lowe: runs Dog Horn Publishing, writer, editor with
periodicals, wrote Troglodyte Rose, creative advertising
4. Nicola Griffith: fearless leader, writer, editor, community
building, doing the impossible with communities of others, working
with collectives. Vision: to test publishing and do something
brilliant.
5. Karina Melendez: f/t writing student, English/Spanish translation,
can do whatever is needed and learn on the fly, teaching, video work,
theater audio, grant applications, fundraising, connections with
talented Mexican artists of many stripes, web design. Weakness: money
management.
6. Barbara Sanchez: reader, writer, expert in being human
7. Jennifer D: photographer, advertising background, problem-solver,
web and computer savvy (basics), goal: fun and profit
8. Kat Meyer: background in publishing, esp. marketing indie and
regional books, “Next Chapter Communications” to help authors market
themselves, LOVES marketing.
9. Mordicai Knode: sales for MacMillan publishers, media monitoring
and critique, reading, world-building/spec fic, degree in forensic
anthropology.
10. Horia “Bear” Nicola Ursu: Romanian publisher, degree in French
language, lit, and civ. Experience translating for a Romanian company
(into Romanian, then?), editing, SF/F, cover design
11. Jeremy Griffith: publishing, tech writing, interesting times in
Berkeley in the 60’s, printing plant, typesetting, feminism, women’s
music, computer programming (C++) knows Ruth Gendler (“The Book of
Qualities”), production skills
12. Kassia Krozser: writes fiction, non-fiction, background in motion
pictures, interested in multi-stories: multi-thread, multi-media, and
multi-author
13. Evecho: lesbian fic writer, e-pulishing experience including alt
models, good with the internet as a publishing platform, limited time,
commercial litigation
14. Kelley Eskridge: in the middle of a screenplay, writer, corporate
and consulting background, people management, Nicola’s partner
15. Stephanie Trelogan: writer, mostly non-fiction about science and
medicine. Working on novel, published children’s book, parent.
16. Leela Sinha: general computer skills, intercultural background,
parish minister, woodworking. Avocational writer in addition to
writing for work. Crafty. Organization-building skills.
17. Janine Galeski: chemistry and physics teacher, writing first
novel, people skills, good general computer skills, willing to try
marketing, fluent in science. Leela’s partner.
18. Pierce/Chadao on AN. publishing, director of sales, senior book
editor, bookstore manager, wholesale buying, marketing, editing
circulation direction for magazines. Basically everything except
write and run presses.

Realmcovet

Jan 30, 2009, 9:15:14 AM1/30/09
to ozymandias
I'm in. I don't have much to offer up in the way of publishing and
marketing skills, but I love to write and talk things up. I have good
communications skills too.

Rachel (Realm)

Shira Lipkin

Jan 30, 2009, 9:21:38 AM1/30/09
to ozyma...@googlegroups.com
I'm in, much like Rachel - I'm a writer exploring different publishing paradigms. My cyberfunded creativity series is a little over a year old... I put a tip jar up when I post stories, and if people like the story, they're welcome to PayPal me a few dollars. Sponsors get bonuses. Often, I'll take suggestions for writing prompts from my readers. I have.... a few books' worth of material from this now, and am trying to figure out how best to publish it.

WindTunnelDreams.com is a bit out of date. You can also explore Shayara.com, and follow my more traditional adventures in publishing at ShiraLipkin.com.

Hello!

--Shira
--
Have you ever felt homesick for a place you've never been?
http://www.shayara.com

Leela

Jan 30, 2009, 9:25:07 AM1/30/09
to ozymandias
Phooey, I wasn't clear enough!

Please post your intros in the intro thread; I want this thread to be
a clean, quick, easy reference thread with just summaries of
conversations. Does that make sense?

Thanks, y'all.

Leela

JenniferD

Jan 31, 2009, 3:32:44 PM1/31/09
to ozymandias
This is good Leela, thanks. I think it would be great to have this in
a google doc - spreadsheet thing. Any interest/time to do that?

Malinda has bowed out of active participation since her original
introduction.

Jennifer

Leela

Feb 2, 2009, 9:05:40 AM2/2/09
to ozymandias
Updated list coming soon.
Decision made: we will be working on an anthology of big-name authors'
works.
Theme TBD (find the thread for the conversation)

Leela

Feb 2, 2009, 9:09:02 AM2/2/09
to ozymandias
Here's the updated list of participants and their talents. I will
think about figuring out a way to summarize further in a spreadsheet.
It would probably have firstname/lastname and then checklist options
for "editing", "publishing" "writing" "other". Let me think it over.

1. Mark Heath: f/t magazine cartoonist, sells from website, does
greeting cards, working on picture books
2. Adam Lowe: runs Dog Horn Publishing, writer, editor with
periodicals, wrote Troglodyte Rose, creative advertising
3. Nicola Griffith: fearless leader, writer, editor, community
building, doing the impossible with communities of others, working
with collectives. Vision: to test publishing and do something
brilliant.
4. Karina Melendez: f/t writing student, English/Spanish translation,
can do whatever is needed and learn on the fly, teaching, video work,
theater audio, grant applications, fundraising, connections with
talented Mexican artists of many stripes, web design. Weakness: money
management.
5. Barbara Sanchez: reader, writer, expert in being human
6. Jennifer D: photographer, advertising background, problem-solver,
web and computer savvy (basics), goal: fun and profit
7. Kat Meyer: background in publishing, esp. marketing indie and
regional books, “Next Chapter Communications” to help authors market
themselves, LOVES marketing.
8. Mordicai Knode: sales for MacMillan publishers, media monitoring
and critique, reading, world-building/spec fic, degree in forensic
anthropology.
9. Horia “Bear” Nicola Ursu: Romanian publisher, degree in French
language, lit, and civ. Experience translating for a Romanian company
(into Romanian, then?), editing, SF/F, cover design
10. Jeremy Griffith: publishing, tech writing, interesting times in
Berkeley in the 60’s, printing plant, typesetting, feminism, women’s
music, computer programming (C++) knows Ruth Gendler (“The Book of
Qualities”), production skills
11. Kassia Krozser: writes fiction, non-fiction, background in motion
pictures, interested in multi-stories: multi-thread, multi-media, and
multi-author
12. Evecho: lesbian fic writer, e-pulishing experience including alt
models, good with the internet as a publishing platform, limited time,
commercial litigation
13. Kelley Eskridge: in the middle of a screenplay, writer, corporate
and consulting background, people management, Nicola’s partner
14. Stephanie Trelogan: writer, mostly non-fiction about science and
medicine. Working on novel, published children’s book, parent.
15. Leela Sinha: general computer skills, intercultural background,
parish minister, woodworking. Avocational writer in addition to
writing for work. Crafty. Organization-building skills.
16. Janine Galeski: chemistry and physics teacher, writing first
novel, people skills, good general computer skills, willing to try
marketing, fluent in science. Leela’s partner.
17. Pierce/Chadao on AN. publishing, director of sales, senior book
editor, bookstore manager, wholesale buying, marketing, editing
circulation direction for magazines. Basically everything except
write and run presses.
18. Realmcovet/Rachel: writing, talking things up, good communication
skills, bipolar, children with autism, electric guitar
19. Shira Lipkin: writer, print publishing, exploring publishing
models, reader-prompted writing, tip jar