Introductions

malinda

Jan 14, 2009, 2:17:35 PM1/14/09
to ozymandias
Hi everyone,

As promised, here is a snazzy Introductions thread where we can all
say a virtual hello to each other and explain a bit about why we're
here and who we are. I'll start.

My name is Malinda. :) I'm currently a full-time writer with a YA
novel called ASH coming out from Little, Brown in September 2009. It's
a lesbian retelling of the "Cinderella" fairy tale. I'm on contract
for a second book, which I am in the middle of writing, and it is due
in April. That means my free time is pretty limited right now, but I
was drawn to this publishing cooperative because I've spent most of my
adult life writing or working in some form of publishing. Some of the
publishing models work, and some do not, and I've never been involved
in a cooperative, which sounded interesting.

I'm also looking toward the future, because I'd like to continue to be
a full-time writer. I realize that things change all the time, and I'd
like to be part of the change instead of moaning about how bad
everything is and/or being upset that I've been left behind.

In terms of my experience, I have about eight years of professional
writing and editing experience behind me. I worked as an editorial
assistant at Ballantine for two years fresh out of college. I did edit
two novels there, but I confess I was probably not the best editor. I
had to learn how to edit, and I learned it mostly by taking writing
workshops in graduate school. I went to grad school at Harvard and
Stanford and got two master's degrees in East Asian Studies and
Cultural Anthropology, respectively. They taught me how to do
research, but I didn't like being an academic.

Starting in 2003 I became a freelance writer. I've written for a slew
of LGBT publications, especially AfterEllen.com, where I wrote about
representations of lesbians in pop culture. I was the managing editor
there for about two years (previously features editor and associate
editor). If you're not familiar with AfterEllen.com, it's kind of an
Entertainment Weekly for queer women. I managed a full-time staff of
three people (we were small but mighty!) and about two dozen or so
freelance writers. I conceptualized, edited, copyedited, proofed, and
uploaded content. It was a very valuable experience and taught me a
lot about online editorial and the possibilities of the web.

I'd love to hear about everyone else and why they're (you're) here,
too.

Malinda

mark heath

Jan 14, 2009, 2:54:41 PM1/14/09
to ozyma...@googlegroups.com
I'm Mark, a full-time magazine cartoonist, with occasional sales to greeting cards. I also sell cartoons from my site, nobrowcartoons.com, and I'm working on several unsolicited picture books. For several years I drew a comic strip for United Media called Spot the Frog (you can still read it at comics.com)

The cooperative interests me in the same way that the creative commons copyright interests me. I'm always looking for new ways to do things, to sell and promote myself, in a medium that generally invites piracy, or hastens the disappearance of work that isn't on everyone's tongue.

I've sold a few sf stories (the number two comes to mind, ten years apart; the last to Strange Horizons), but they're definitely larks.

For those looking for some vigorous/realistic/semi-realistic art, I'm not the guy. But if you need comic art, with or without a punchline, I'm happy to contribute. When you're a relatively unknown cartoonist -- which is the operating state for most cartoonists -- exposure is everything. I like to earn money, I need to earn money, but I don't mind the judicious free offering for the sake of publicity.

mark
--
http://www.nobrowcartoons.com

Adam Lowe

Jan 14, 2009, 6:20:49 PM1/14/09
to ozyma...@googlegroups.com
I'm Adam. I run Dog Horn Publishing and Polluto. Dog Horn is about 5 years old, and I've been at the helm for a year from January 24th. Polluto is one year old.

I'm primarily a writer, and here in the UK I'm Features Editor for Bent and North East Correspondent for The Pink Paper. Occasionally I write for Pinke.biz and other LGBT magazines as well.

My first novel, lavishly illustrated by a Brooklyn couple known collectively as Teetering Bulb, is due out July 1st from Crossing Chaos. I've also had some short stories and poetry published, as well as a couple of critical articles in the UK and USA.

My degree was in English, and my Master's degree was in Writing for Performance & Publication.

Cheers

2009/1/14 mark heath <spott...@gmail.com>

--
Regards

Adam Lowe

Features Editor
Bent [http://mag.bent.com]
Editor-in-Chief
Polluto [http://www.polluto.com]
Publisher/Editor
Dog Horn Publishing [http://www.doghornpublishing.com]

Mobile: +44 (0) 7906 242 232
Office: +44 (0) 113 279 3573

If you would like to stop receiving these emails, please reply with UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject.

nicola griffith

Jan 14, 2009, 8:01:07 PM1/14/09
to ozyma...@googlegroups.com
I'm Nicola Griffith. Writing is my main skill.  (It feels faintly embarrassing to continue about that because I think most of you know who I am because you came here via my blog.)

Secondary skills include editing (done a lot of that, formally and informally), community building, will, and pumping people up to try impossible things--often against everyone's better judgement.  I think in leaps, and often leave out the interim steps (I hope people will speak up when you find me suddenly talking about something that makes no sense to you, because I haven't touched on the in between bits).  I can be a bit grandiose.  I can get fed up really fast if my sense of fairness is trespassed against--if people don't pull their weight or don't play by the rules (no one here is special--that is, we're all fucking special, okay?).  I operate from a paradoxical stance: Just Do It! on the one hand, good foundational planning on the other.

I believe in clarity.  No one reads minds.  And while I'm a big fan of kindness, I value clarity over conflict avoidance.

Many years ago I helped found a variety of community organisations: Hull Lesbian Line, the Lemon Aid Collective, Hull Self Defence Collective, the Northern Dykes Writing Workshop etc.  None of them were about money.  I have strategic money skills but zero practical, tactical experience.

I use English spelling, mostly, but American punctuation, mostly.

Collective wise, I have a lot of experience in face to face groups, but not online.  Online, I've done a fair amount in terms of listserv/blog/online community--but only in terms of community building and info exchange and judging-awards-decision making.  I'm not sure how well the two areas of expertise will mesh.  There may be horrible, unexpected gaps.  Oh, I've been on the board of a non-profit and resigned in fury at the time-wasting and self-aggrandisement.

My vision for the collective (and the more I think about it the more this looks like a collective, for now).  That's tricky. Mainly for everyone to have a blast, and definitely for no one to lose any money.  I also want us to be successful by our own definition.  If that definition includes money, then, yes, I want us all to be rolling in it.

But my main goal, I think, is to test publishing--I want to see what happens when we look at the business through new eyes.  And I want the rest of the world to pay attention.  I don't have modest goals.  I don't really do modest.  I want this to be kickarse awesome--in whatever terms we choose--and I want the publishing world to know who we are.

Nicola
--
www.nicolagriffith.com
http://asknicola.blogspot.com

Karina Melendez

Jan 14, 2009, 11:03:56 PM1/14/09
to ozyma...@googlegroups.com
Hi :-)

I'm Karina Meléndez, currently a full-time student @ UBC's CrWr program, where I'm specializing in English-Spanish translation.

My main talent is: wildcard. You can pretty much stick me wherever there's a gap and I'll find a way to fill it. I learn quickly, and I can learn almost anything. I like the challenge of new environments. I'm very flexible. Also impatient, so I gamble often hoping to find shortcuts. I usually get lucky.

My wildcard nature has left me with a broad set of skills but not much expertise. A glimpse at my professional experience will tell you I'm all over the place:

For five years, I was a teacher at the CAAV (Centre for Audiovisual Media) in Mexico. Some of the classes I taught: video editing, visual culture, new media in film. During that time, I also took a number of freelance jobs: video production, audio design for theater, web & graphic design, etc.

I wrote a few grant applications and successfully raised funding for other people's short films (five), theater productions (two), and book publications (one). I can write applications that make popping bubble gum sound like high art, which means I'm familiar with fundraising for the Arts and Culture in Mexico. I think our experiment will go international, and my homeland is not too far. I also have an army (more or less ten) of talented Mexicans (illustrators, animators, music composers, video artits, actors) who will work on anything I propose (because I've always made it worth their time in the past), but I need to go to them with a very concrete project. Something to keep in mind for the future, when the co-op/collective goes into multimedia-sprawl phase.

In Vancouver, I've worked mostly as a freelance web designer/ marketer for bleak and mercenary industries such as real estate, tourism, and health & fitness. I hope to stay away from their glittery claws by finding my place Where the Wild Things Are, which means: in the company of mind-blowing stories and their authors.

I'm not good at administrating money. To me, money=game chips. I will spend it all on toys for everyone, and/or invest it in some odd (as in: all the odds are against it) idea that may win us the Big Bucks or sink the ship. If I can help bring in money, I'll make sure the Treasure Keeper is only a step away from me and ready to take over the loot.

That said, I'm not too concerned with getting money out of this experiment right away. A few of the great successes of Web 2.0 (Flickr, Bodog) came out of Vancouver basements because the weather sucks and people decided to have fun with the Internet as an alternative to wrist slashing. I think we'll eventually become profitable, because otherwise our co-op/collective would start to fall apart as members get chewed up by their paying jobs. But it'd be good to keep the words: 'play', 'beanstalk', 'wacky', and 'delight' in mind while we're on the look for golden eggs.

Lastly, I'm thrilled that so many of you are experts in your field. Experts score extra sexy points in my game. I look forward to learning from you and being a fit and busy minion. Oh, yeah, that's another thing. If I get bored, I'll follow the first shinny object that comes my way, and will most likely get lost forever. But I think that won't be a problem here. It seems we'll get plenty of entertainment and tasty conversations.

Cheers,
karina

barbara sanchez

Jan 15, 2009, 12:36:08 AM1/15/09
to ozyma...@googlegroups.com
I'm Barbara Sanchez. The only piece of writing I've ever had published  is in the New Mexico Law Reports, a case I lost, and therefore made bad law, damn it. I am presently working on a joint autobiography with my twin sister. That is going very slowly. I am an avid reader, and travel by book. I don't have any particular expertise to offer the co-op, but I'm always willing to work.

JenniferD

Jan 15, 2009, 2:14:39 PM1/15/09
to ozymandias
Hi everyone --

I already emailed this intro in once, but it never showed up.
Hopefully it won't be in here twice.

Jennifer Durham. I am a photographer. I have no experience in the
publishing field. I have worked as a freelancer in the advertising
photography industry since I graduated from college over 20 years
ago. I have been watching our industry fall apart for a few years
now. As with many creative fields, things have changed. And most
would say not for the better. So far.

Here’s the advertising studio where I’m earning money to pay (most of)
the bills at the moment:
http://www.michaelruppert.com/

In the past year or so I’ve been shifting my focus to the kind of
photography I’d rather be doing – more fine artish, nature oriented
stuff.
http://jenniferdurham.com

Photographers learn to be problem solvers. Sort of jack-of-all trades
type of thing. Know a little about a lot. Which turns out to be
pretty useless in a most other areas....

Having said all that, I’m not all that certain of what I have to offer
the group. Of course I would love to collaborate in some way on this
stuff - have my images published with other people's stuff. And other
photos certainly – marketing photos, book covers, author photos maybe
– that type of thing. I’m also fairly web and computer savvy, and can
do some basic layout, but I’m not a pro at it. I’ve never been
involved in group things. I'm a big fan of clarity, and if I sound
blunt sometimes, I don't mean to be, it's just is in the interest of
clarity and brevity. Not that I've ever been accused of being
particularly good with brevity... :)

I think if this is not fun, then there’s not much point in doing it.
However, I must also say that I think that profit is a major goal for
me. Maybe I’m obsessed with money these days, but to me success of a
publishing enterprise -- getting work out there, sustainability,
getting people to take notice -- involves profit. That doesn’t mean
that I expect said profit to materialize in the short term. I am sick
and tired of writers -- artists of all types -- not thinking/expecting
to make good money. I think there is money to be made.

Making money and having fun are not mutually exclusive. Why can't we
do both anyway?

I think it could be awesome to work with a bunch of committed,
passionate, people who want to do something different. That is an
exciting prospect to me, and I really appreciate everyone's
involvement here.

I do not want to invest any precious time in this if people are not
really committed – if people are going to fizzle out when there is
actual work to be done. Because there will be times when it’s not all
fun – when it will be work, and when we'd rather be sleeping. Or when
the group dynamic is beyond frustrating....

I like this idea because the times they are a changin’. And we need
to roll with it. I would much rather be a part of creating/
interpreting that change that waiting around to see what someone else
will do. I would like to see writers and other artists have their
work appreciated and be compensated for that work. Mostly I got into
this because Nicola really *is* good at “pumping people up to try
impossible things--often against everyone's better judgment”

And I’m not much for modest either. I say we go for the top.

Jennifer

Kat Meyer

Jan 15, 2009, 2:34:41 PM1/15/09
to ozymandias
Hi Ozymandiassians:
I am Kat Meyer. And, before I launch into my hopefully brief
introduction, may I just say how honored and excited I am to be in
such sparkly and talented company? I have a suspicion this is going to
be a very cool journey we are taking together.

My background is mostly in book publishing, and mostly in the
marketing of indie and regional books (though I had a few stints with
the production and editorial sides of publishing at big imprints and
at academic journals). Of all my publishing jobs, my favorite (and
most rewarding) to date was as Marketing Assistant and exhibits
manager for the University of Arizona Press. Why? Because everyone
there knew we were fighting the good fight, and that in the end, what
we were doing was important and worthwhile (even if we were always up
against impossible odds of budgeting and university politics). Plus,
everyone there was/is really cool and happy about their work.

All of which is a big part of why Ozymandias may be my new favorite
"job."

Currently I am doing a few different things to pay the bills -- I work
for a self-publishing services company, doing marketing for self-
published authors whose books are showing promised of good potential
sales; and, I do freelance marketing and publicity for publishers and
authors (mostly regionally, but it's kind of a mix).

I'm in the process of launching a new business, "Next Chapter
Communications" which should be going live in February (i'll keep you
posted). My goals with that company are to get to authors early on and
help them identify their market(s) and build "marketability" into
every aspect of their book's publishing process (editorial, design,
production, distribution, marketing, publicity, etc.), AND to help
them manage their reader outreach/build their reader base well-before
their book has hit the shelves (virtual and/or brick and mortar).

I have recently started a blog "theBookishDilettante.com" where I
write about books, and publishing, and whatnot. I also occasionally
guest blog for some other publishing and book related blogs. And, I
volunteer with a few non-profit presses, helping them with their fund
raising and marketing efforts.

I love love love marketing and promoting great authors and great work.
I also love love love coming up with new ways of marketing and
promoting great authors and great work, and finding new and better
ways for authors and readers to connect. These are the types of skills/
ideas I'd like to bring to the Ozymandias project, but I'm also happy
to jump in wherever else I can be of service. So, on with the show,
kids!
~ Kat

mord...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2009, 11:35:17 AM1/16/09
to ozymandias
How about we look on my works, ye mighty? I'm Mordicai Knode. I'm
not so good with mundane details, but here it goes-- I live in
Brooklyn, NY with my wife. She's a librarian, I used to be in
textbook sales for an independent bookstore, but I've recently made
the jump into sales for the publishing company Macmillan.

I like to monitor my media input, & think critically about it. This
generally means two things: books & television. I think television
has gotten a bad rap: as the dominant art form of the Western
Hegemonies, I think there is plenty to be found. Besides that I, no
duh, read a bit. Collecting books is a vice of mine; I have a hard
time trimming it down, but I'm trying to come to terms with the fact
that, if I didn't like a book, I don't have to keep it.

Hobby-wise, I'm big into world-building, & that mostly comes out in
RPGs. I am a big game snob, but I spend a disproportionate amount of
time thinking about the imaginary worlds inside of me. I like to
think about it in terms that some might call "speculative fiction";
which is to say, I will take a thought experiment (like, after reading
Sarah Blaffer Hrdy's "Mother Nature"-- what if orphans survived
instead of dying?) & take to dubious conclusions (military states run
by barracked fascist orpans with greater equality for women, etc).

Oh-- my spelling is horrible, & my puncuation is...schizophrenic.

College I spent drinking, dancing, brawling, & cutting up dead
people. My degree is in forensic anthropology. I consider going back
for my Masters-- it depends what I can trick work into paying for I
suppose.

As for why I'm here, at this point I'm kind of along for the ride. If
I see somewhere to chip in, I will.
> > Malinda- Hide quoted text -

Bear aka HNU

Jan 17, 2009, 11:22:45 AM1/17/09
to ozymandias
Hi, I'm Horia Nicola Ursu (but you can call me Bear, that's how Ursu
translates into english), I'm into my 40th year and I've been in the
publishing business since I was 23. I have a degree in French
Civilisation, Language and Lit. I started as a translator for a major
Romanian publishing company (translating authors like Anne Rice, John
Grisham, Tom Clancy, Robert Heinlein etc. - nothing to do with what I
trained for), then moved on to become an editor for the same company,
then headed their SF&F imprint for two years, and another publisher's
SF&F line for another two years. After that, I took a break to become
a father and help my wife take care of our daughter Stefana for some
time, then spent two years bored by what had started to be my major
income source (giving up publishing had left me without choices and I
used my time to run a cleaning materials company - good pay, no dreams
- badbadbad!)
In 2005, with the help of a friend, we put together our own publishing
business: he came up with the money and I offered my skills. Our first
book was Nicola's SLOW RIVER in Romanian translation. Since then, we
are on our way to conquering Romania's SF&F market one book at a time,
and Millennium Press has published about two dozens books of which I'm
proud. You can see their covers at our website (which I've designed
myself): www.millenniumpress.ro . I should also add that I'm the one
designing all of Millennium Press' covers, and that many people have
already told me they liked them and I'm starting to believe myself
somewhat skilled at that too.
My hobbies? Blogging (http://uglybadbear.wordpress.com), reading,
collecting books (this I inherited from my father, along with a
library of about 6000, which has doubled in sized since my father's
gone) and restoring a century old country house I bought last year (I
love carpentry work). And, of course, I'm getting good at building
snowmen for my daughter.
Why I'm here? Because as a publishing professional I think it will be
a great opportunity to learn and improve, working with great people.
That's all the fun I'm after. And because I love everything that
Nicola is doing, so I could not miss this :)

nicola griffith

Jan 17, 2009, 3:40:29 PM1/17/09
to ozyma...@googlegroups.com
I wanted to let everyone know that I'm here, I'm listening, I'm thinking.  I should have those thought organised by late tomorrow or early Monday.

Wow, everybody.  Just wow.

Nicola
--
www.nicolagriffith.com
http://asknicola.blogspot.com

Realmcovet

Jan 17, 2009, 3:46:18 PM1/17/09
to ozymandias
Wow to you as well maam. You are amazing. :)

On Jan 17, 2:40 pm, nicola griffith <gemae...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wanted to let everyone know that I'm here, I'm listening, I'm thinking.  I
> should have those thought organised by late tomorrow or early Monday.
>
> Wow, everybody.  Just wow.
>
> Nicola
>
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 8:22 AM, Bear aka HNU <horiau...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi, I'm Horia Nicola Ursu (but you can call me Bear, that's how Ursu
> > translates into english), I'm into my 40th year and I've been in the
> > publishing business since I was 23. I have a degree in French
> > Civilisation, Language and Lit. I started as a translator for a major
> > Romanian publishing company (translating authors like Anne Rice, John
> > Grisham, Tom Clancy, Robert Heinlein etc. - nothing to do with what I
> > trained for), then moved on to become an editor for the same company,
> > then headed their SF&F imprint for two years, and another publisher's
> > SF&F line for another two years. After that, I took a break to become
> > a father and help my wife take care of our daughter Stefana for some
> > time, then spent two years bored by what had started to be my major
> > income source (giving up publishing had left me without choices and I
> > used my time to run a cleaning materials company - good pay, no dreams
> > - badbadbad!)
> > In 2005, with the help of a friend, we put together our own publishing
> > business: he came up with the money and I offered my skills. Our first
> > book was Nicola's SLOW RIVER in Romanian translation. Since then, we
> > are on our way to conquering Romania's SF&F market one book at a time,
> > and Millennium Press has published about two dozens books of which I'm
> > proud. You can see their covers at our website (which I've designed
> > myself):www.millenniumpress.ro. I should also add that I'm the one
> > designing all of Millennium Press' covers, and that many people have
> > already told me they liked them and I'm starting to believe myself
> > somewhat skilled at that too.
> > My hobbies? Blogging (http://uglybadbear.wordpress.com), reading,
> > collecting books (this I inherited from my father, along with a
> > library of about 6000, which has doubled in sized since my father's
> > gone) and restoring a century old country house I bought last year (I
> > love carpentry work). And, of course, I'm getting good at building
> > snowmen for my daughter.
> > Why I'm here? Because as a publishing professional I think it will be
> > a great opportunity to learn and improve, working with great people.
> > That's all the fun I'm after. And because I love everything that
> > Nicola is doing, so I could not miss this :)
>
> --www.nicolagriffith.comhttp://asknicola.blogspot.com- Hide quoted text -

Jeremy H. Griffith

Jan 17, 2009, 4:43:12 PM1/17/09
to ozyma...@googlegroups.com

Hi all! I'm another publications person, for almost
50 years... ;-) My father was a free-lance writer
who worked other jobs (radio and public relations)
to cover the rent; he used to say the only US author
making a living at writing was Earl Stanley Gardner.
But perhaps he exaggerated... <g>

I wanted to write *and* pay the rent, and had a major
bent toward hard science (encouraged by the SFF I read
from early childhood), and went into tech writing at
19. I was good at it, and by 22 was running a pubs
department at a major engineering company, Burns & Roe,
in New York (where I was born and grew up). Moved to
California in 1966, and while contracting at Bechtel
met Ralph Metzner, who needed a Managing Editor for
the Psychedelic Review. The office was in Tim Leary's
house in the Berkeley hills, on Queen's Road. That
led to further interesting experiences... ;-)

I'd gotten interested in publications production,
and ran a printing plant in SF for a while, then
got into typesetting, using software that ran on an
old mainframe. I did a lot of that pro bono for
people and orgs that were in some way improving the
ghastly society in which I'd realized I was living.
In 1971, when Ms. started, I read the first issue,
cried for days, and became a second-wave feminist
on the spot. The Women on Wheels concert at the
Oakland Auditorium (Cris, Meg, Holly,and Margie)
blew me away, and introduced me to the Women's
Music community, which I became real involved in.
(I was going to vote for that one in the project
list, but didn't get to it before the deadline).
June Millington is my sister (we adopted each
other); she and her dear partner Ann created the
Institute of the Musical Arts, IMA, which is now
in western MA and at <http://www.ima.org/>.

I got into programming full time in 1975, mainly
in text-editing, word-processing, and typesetting,
and since then have not written much that's not C++.
My primary product is a tool for tech writers who
use Framemaker, enabling them to produce on-line
Help of numerous varieties from their Frame docs.
(That's Mif2Go, at <http://www.omsys.com>.)

I've also worked closely with a very old friend
and former partner who has about 300K copies of her
three books in print, Ruth Gendler, best known for
"The Book of Qualities" <http://www.ruthgendler.com>.
I actually kept all the editing on her last one in
FrameMaker, passing copies in Word back and forth,
and finally going into InDesign for the typesetting.
So production skills are definitely something I
can bring to the collective.

I'm currently living with my partner Debra in
Hillsboro, near Portland, OR. We have a guest
room if anyone wants to visit; address and phone
are in sig, but email is best.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what we can
do together, and would be happy supporting whatever
plan the Creatives <g> come up with.

Love and Light,

--Jeremy

Jeremy H. Griffith * jer...@omsys.com * Voice: (503) 547-8909
http://www.omsys.com * 3152 SE Timberlake Dr, Hillsboro, OR 97123

Kassia Krozser

Jan 19, 2009, 2:09:36 PM1/19/09
to ozyma...@googlegroups.com
I am late to the introductions game. I'm Kassia from Pasadena. I write fiction, non-fiction (mostly in the form of long ranty posts on my blog). I am that horrible mix of creative and business -- in fact, my time in the motion picture industry was spent working on the most creative aspect of a department derisively called by the media "creative accounting". For the record, I can't add. That's what cute 25-year old temps are for. They are so sincere when you ask, sort of under your breath, "What's three plus six?" I know they're thinking they never want to be so old as to forget things that obvious.

I think Nicola either expanded or started or a mix of both on this concept in a comment on my site. It felt like the middle of thought she'd been having, and I've been following the thought since. I am a huge fan of thinking beyond the way things have always been done -- which means I am a huge fan of taking story where story goes. For the past several years, on the fiction front, I have been particularly interested in multi-thread stories, multi-media stories, and multi-author stories (which are different that story collections). Also, knitting.

k2
booksquare.com

nicola griffith

Evecho

Jan 22, 2009, 9:11:53 AM1/22/09
to ozymandias
Hello everyone

Apologies for the late introduction.

I'm Evecho. That's my penname when I'm out and about on the internet.
I am a lesbian fiction writer who's branched out into e-publishing. My
current literary project is with ReadTheseLips.com (RTL), as an e-
publisher of lesbian short stories, specifically anthologies, for
which Nicola kindly contributed a story in our second volume. RTL runs
an off-beat model of publishing in that the project is completely no-
cost; from the writers to the editing team to the readers. RTL
produces free non-DRM e-books in soft or self-printed copies. We
source contributors from a range of countries to meet the tastes of a
global readership.

I've only been actively involved in producing lesbian lit for a few
years, so, very young in experience. The internet is my market,
research centre, playground and network. I am very interested in the
future of literary publishing in electronic format.

I'm happy to offer up my skills, such as they are, and opinions as
welcomed. However, my time is limited when it comes to cloud
discussions but if/when a project is decided upon, I'm happy to roll
up my sleeves and do the work.

By day, I work in commercial litigation, and the rest of my time is
spent gauging the mood of lesbian genre readers, writers and general
followers. I live in Sydney with my partner of 15 years, who lures me
easily away with her culinary skills.

You can find out more about RTL at www.readtheselips.com and about me
at www.evecho.wordpress.com.

Thanks.
Evecho

Kelley Eskridge

Jan 22, 2009, 11:47:54 AM1/22/09
to ozyma...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Coming up for air from screenplay to introduce myself. Apologies for
the delay, but I've been following the conversation and enjoying all the ideas.

I'm Kelley. I'm Nicola's partner of 20+ years, author of the novel
Solitaire and the collection Dangerous Space. Have been publishing
fiction and nonfiction for nearly 20 years, and currently have a
screenplay in development. I'm also the Managing Partner of the
business that Nicola and I own, Humans At Work, which trains managers
in essential people-management skills. I have an extensive corporate
and consulting background, and I designed the curriculum for HAW.

I'm definitely prepared to contribute fiction to Ozy, and of course I
have lots of conversations with Nicola about The Future of
Publishing, etc., although this is Nicola's baby and she makes the choices.

Back to my other world now...

Best to you all,

www.kelleyeskridge.com
www.humansatwork.com

Stephanie Trelogan

Jan 22, 2009, 1:24:52 PM1/22/09
to ozymandias
Hi all,

The fact that it's taken me so long to introduce myself is evidence
that I don't have a lot of spare time. But I'm getting ahead of
myself...

My name is Stephanie, and like many of you, I'm a writer by trade.
I've mostly written about science and medicine; until recently, I
wrote for Caring.com, a website for people taking care of their
parents. Now I'm working on a novel. Last year I published my first
children's book, Mask Parade Forest Animals (www.maskparadebooks.com).
My experiences with that book's publisher is one reason why I'm
passionate about the idea of this co-op. :-\

But the bulk of my time is spent chasing after my two small children,
which is why I worry that I won't be able to contribute much towards
the co-op. I would love to help in any way I can, but my time is
extremely limited. I know all of you are extremely busy; I certainly
don't mean to imply that you're all just sitting around eating bon
bons. (Mmmm, bon bons...) I just want to put that out there. I
probably ought to be devoting every spare minute to my novel, but
Nicola brought up this idea at a point when I was feeling especially
disgusted with my book's publisher, and it felt like a bolt from the
blue.

And so I would be happy to take on any tasks, however menial, that I
can squeeze in throughout the day. I imagine there will be many little
things that need to be done. Or longer term projects that aren't
terribly deadline driven. If you think there's a place for my talents,
that is.

On a final note, I'd like to say that I'm a bit starstruck by the rest
of you.

- st

Leela

Jan 23, 2009, 9:40:57 AM1/23/09
to ozymandias
Hi, all,

I'm sorry I'm late to this discussion. My time comes in chunks, so
I'm likely to turn up, have an opinion, write something substantial,
and then vanish for a week or so. I started this a week ago and
well...that's how things go.

My name is Leela Sinha, I'm Janine's partner. I try not to put words
on the web unless they have something useful to contribute or promote,
but that doesn't mean I'm quiet :).

My experience is in several areas.

computers:
I cut my computer teeth on simple programming from about age 10, took
one class in the rudiments of programming in 1992 or so, and learned
enough from noodling to accrue about 3 years of in-house tech support
experience for three different institutions. I also took an entire
certificate course in programming with a private company in India, but
I have never worked as a programmer. My specialty with computers is
translating from geek to layperson, mostly by using metaphors. I love
making computer stuff accessible to people who are scared of it,
either by changing the computer or by educating the person.

cross-cultural:
I'm a 50-50 cultural mix, born and raised in the US by a white
American mother and an immigrant Indian father. I'm not in the least
fluent in Hindi and I was once proficient in French many years ago.
But I do have a headful of Indian folktales and Hindu myths, and a
taste for Indian aesthetics.

current professional:
I work as a parish minister, which means that I do a little of
everything. Like several others who have posted here, I wanted to get
paid to write, and, lacking confidence in my ability to make a living
writing fiction (and in my willingness to spend that much time in
social isolation) I drifted for a while. In addition to the computer
tech support, I did a brief stint as a woodworker and have spent a lot
of time in theater tech (7 years, part time, half volunteer half work-
study). In my church work I write (sermons, personal essay columns,
poetry), I counsel, I work with a board, I design worship (theater
plus dance plus study plus writing), and I navigate conflict (hands
down my least favorite part of the job). I also have a blog to which
I post sporadically (http://lsinha.wordpress.com) when I have
something that doesn't really fit anywhere else.

writing: Is my first love. Before I was going to be a therapist or an
English teacher I was going to be a writer...and I do make money from
my writing, but not in the usual way--sermons get edited as they get
assembled, and I don't get much time to review and refine. I'm an
opinionated editor, but I try to be a graceful and productive critic.
I have a decent eye for grammar and spelling, but not great--I can
read past all but the worst errors if the story is good. I'm pretty
good at asking questions, at helping people get unstuck. I love
collaborative projects but I do struggle with having time for
everything I want to do.

other stuff: I like to make things. I knit, spin, weave, bookbind,
take pictures, play with clay, build furniture. It means I do a lot
of internal cross-referencing. In fact, that's another strength:
taking learnings from one thing and seeing the patterns or parallels
with something entirely different. I'm also pretty good at figuring
out what a sustainable (self-renewing) organizational structure looks
like and helping people put one in place (although I've never done it
in a virtual context) and taking a mashup of ideas and distilling them
into bullet points and even a plan of action.

Nice to meet all of you!

Leela

Janine Galeski

Jan 26, 2009, 8:17:23 AM1/26/09
to ozyma...@googlegroups.com
Greetings, everyone,

I'm Janine Galeski. I've been a pretty frequent presence on this list and on asknicola.com, but have been a bit overwhelmed at work lately. I've missed participating in the discussions!

I'm Leela's partner. We've lived in coastal Maine for the last year and a half; quite an amazing experience. I'm a chemistry and physics teacher at a small private school in Blue Hill, and until very recently, never considered writing or publishing as something that could be added to my life. The story in my head, however, wouldn't say no, so I've begun writing my first novel without any knowledge as to what the heck I'm doing. I've been told just to keep writing...so that's what I do. :)

I have a lot of skills, mostly in the art of teaching...but I have pretty good people skills. I've never marketed anything before, but I'd be willing to try. I'm also good with computers and what I don't know how to do, I learn how to do it. I'm maintaining two blogs at the moment, one personal, one for my classes, so reaching out via the web won't be a big stretch for me.

I'm fluent in physics and chemistry and pretty much every other science out there. I'm not sure how those skills could be put to use, but they're there for the taking. Being a nerd has its advantages. .grin.

I hope the week begins well for all of you. Life at work is beginning to calm down a bit, so you should see me more often again.

Cheers,
Janine
--
Do I want to be complete, or am I completing myself in the journey?

Chadao

Jan 28, 2009, 8:44:22 PM1/28/09
to ozymandias
Hi Folks,
I am Pierce--chadao at Ask Nicola. I have 35-40 years in publishing
depending on how you count it. I am currently Director of Sales for
Paizo Publishing, and also serve as Senior Book Editor for Planet
Stories Books. I have done about everything in publishing except write
a book and run the presses. In between--sales rep; book store manager;
wholesale buyer; marketing; editing books and magazines; publisher;
circulation director for a number of magazines, best known--Star Wars
Insider and Amazing Stories. I have two questions: 1. What is our
market? i.e. Who do we want to buy our product? 2. Will anyone want
what we plan on publishing?

Cheers!
Pierce

mord...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2009, 9:07:22 AM1/29/09
to ozymandias
Hi Pierce-- I am a Paizo fan & a internet-pal of Erik's.
> > Malinda- Hide quoted text -

Realmcovet

Jan 30, 2009, 9:34:24 AM1/30/09
to ozymandias
Okay so here's my intro, I initially had it on a different thread
that I had started, titled "Introductions, Nicola's Works and
Mordicai, I've no idea why your thumb smells like rubbing alchohol.
What've you been rubbing at?". I was attemting to address several
discussions at once, but instead possibly caused some confusion. So
here's an "excerpt" of that post, as Leela requested, but instead
posted in the introductions thread, as Nicola requested:

My name's Rachel. I'm 32. A stay at home mom, opting to produce my
first published work, a very unconventional "memoir" titled
"Fartsmeller by Day, Bounty Hunter by Night". Basically
autobiographical confessions of a Bi-Polar Mother, with offhanded
attempts at humorous side stories. I've 3 kids. The two boys are 12
and 11. The 12 year old is the the autistic, (and if you must know, I
embrace and celebrate not only autism, but ANY difference of ANY sort
that life has to offer with every fiber of my being.) I've also a 9
year old daughter that shows signs of being Bi-Polar as well. Been
married 12 years. Words have been my best friend since the moment I
became aware of their existence. Playing electric guitar comes in as
close 2nd, friend wise when Snookms isn't present.

On Jan 17, 10:22 am, Bear aka HNU <horiau...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm Horia Nicola Ursu (but you can call me Bear, that's how Ursu
> translates into english), I'm into my 40th year and I've been in the
> publishing business since I was 23. I have a degree in French
> Civilisation, Language and Lit. I started as a translator for a major
> Romanian publishing company (translating authors like Anne Rice, John
> Grisham, Tom Clancy, Robert Heinlein etc. - nothing to do with what I
> trained for), then moved on to become an editor for the same company,
> then headed their SF&F imprint for two years, and another publisher's
> SF&F line for another two years. After that, I took a break to become
> a father and help my wife take care of our daughter Stefana for some
> time, then spent two years bored by what had started to be my major
> income source (giving up publishing had left me without choices and I
> used my time to run a cleaning materials company - good pay, no dreams
> - badbadbad!)
> In 2005, with the help of a friend, we put together our own publishing
> business: he came up with the money and I offered my skills. Our first
> book was Nicola's SLOW RIVER in Romanian translation. Since then, we
> are on our way to conquering Romania's SF&F market one book at a time,
> and Millennium Press has published about two dozens books of which I'm
> proud. You can see their covers at our website (which I've designed
> myself):www.millenniumpress.ro. I should also add that I'm the one

Shira Lipkin

Jan 30, 2009, 9:40:42 AM1/30/09
to ozyma...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for posting in the wrong thread initially - I blame a sad lack of caffeine. I am rectifying this. :)

I'm a writer exploring different publishing paradigms. My cyberfunded creativity series is a little over a year old... I put a tip jar up when I post stories, and if people like the story, they're welcome to PayPal me a few dollars. Sponsors get bonuses. Often, I'll take suggestions for writing prompts from my readers. I have.... a few books' worth of material from this now, and am trying to figure out how best to publish it.

WindTunnelDreams.com is a bit out of date. You can also explore Shayara.com, and follow my more traditional adventures in publishing at ShiraLipkin.com.

Hello!

--Shira