Graduate Archaeologist/Heritage Advisor

Jen Burch

Dec 21, 2022, 11:03:55 PM12/21/22
to OzArch

Are you a graduate looking to start your career in archaeology?

If so, take control and join the team at Jem Archaeology. Our strong sales growth means we need a Graduate Level Archaeologist/Heritage Advisor to hit the ground running, assisting in all aspects of Jem Archaeology projects with the support of the Managing Director and the broader team. If you can demonstrate that you are a fully qualified archaeologist, possess a strong desire to learn all aspects of cultural heritage consulting and value the team-first behaviours that we live by at Jem Archaeology this could be the start of a great new career chapter for you.

Jem Archaeology are proud of what we achieve together as a team. We’ve developed a great reputation with the relevant Registered Aboriginal Parties and Traditional Owner groups and have forged a team culture built on the back of attention to detail, respect for each other and hard work to get the job done. In our relationships with clients we like to think we break the mould set by other heritage consulting companies, giving real-world advice in an honest and transparent manner - not over promising at the proposal stage but equally fighting together to ensure project deadlines are met. The fact that our customers come from client referral rather than advertising speaks volumes.

Our team culture (including our sub contractors and RAP/TO partners) is centred on mutual respect for each person, their role and their contribution. As a result, we truly value all employees and look after our people in ways that really matter to them. We like to think that Jem Archaeology provides an environment where people can be their best by being challenged, developed and rewarded. We pride ourselves on developing our team, ensuring you upskill in all facets of archaeology and cultural heritage management to become a truly well rounded professional.

As a graduate Archaeologist/Heritage Advisor, you will support the Managing Director and our team of experienced Archaeologists/Heritage Advisors to complete projects won by Jem Archaeology. You will learn to undertake desktop assessments, consultation and fieldwork through to results write up, artefact analysis and site cards. You’ll be fully supported by the Managing Director and the broader team as required.

For the right person this is truly a dream job – working on great projects with a high calibre team.

Your skills, qualifications, experience and demonstrable behaviours will ideally include:

  • Bachelor degree in Archaeology or Arts majoring in Archaeology (minimum Honours) or post graduate qualifications in Australian Aboriginal and/or historical archaeology;
  • Currently a listed Heritage Advisor with FPSR, or eligibility to be listed;
  • Analysis of archaeological materials including lithics will be highly regarded;
  • Experience in fieldwork, including archaeological survey, sub surface testing, salvage excavation, Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal historical site recording and use of DGPS will be highly regarded;
  • Knowledge of GIS systems/mapping capabilities and proven ability to produce maps and plans in GIS systems will be highly regarded;
  • Friendly and professional persona, knowing when to be friendly and approachable on-site and when to shift gears and adopt a business-like demeanour;
  • Demonstrated excellent problem solving and communication (written and verbal) skills;
  • Willingness to learn and develop required skills and take direction from more experienced staff;
  • Full Victorian drivers licence;
  • Current first aid certificate and Construction Induction Card;
  • Membership of professional associations e.g. AACAI will be viewed favourably;
  • Be a contributing team member who acts as an example for others to follow in terms of attendance at team meetings, adherence to job protocols, abiding by OH&S procedures and following company procedures; and
  • Excellent eye for detail.

The position on offer is full time ongoing (38 hours per week) based in our Bayswater office. Fieldwork will be required both in greater Melbourne and regional Victoria, the latter of which is likely to require overnight or longer stays (subject to agreement for each applicable project).

Salary will be negotiable based on skills and experience.

If you think you have the qualities we are looking for and would like the opportunity to be part of our outstanding team, please apply today!

Applicants for this position must have Australian residency or a valid Australian work suitable visa.