Lidar Broken Bay NSW

Paul Gale

Dec 30, 2021, 2:35:09 PM12/30/21
to OzArch
Does anyone know if Lidar has been done in the Broken Bay area of NSW.  I am doing my masters thesis on WW2 defences and 80 years later it is very overgrown and hard to find the archaeology.

Paul

John Pickard

Jan 2, 2022, 2:37:42 AM1/2/22
to oza...@googlegroups.com

Hi Paul,

Looks like you got no public replies, so here's a suggestion ... contact the GIS people at UNSW. I would hope that they would know about such coverage. If not, they can probably suggest who to talk to in the NSW government data repository for geospatial data. I don't know the URL for this, but I do know that it exists, perhaps under a different name.

https://www.bees.unsw.edu.au/study-us/courses/introduction-gis-remote-sensing

Sounds like a really interesting project. I can remember pill-boxes and barbed wire entanglements out on West Head from when our family camped near Flint and Steel Point when I was a kid in the 1950s.

And of course, military use of the area goes way back, with F&S Point being used as a target. I have seen fragments of exploded cannon balls, a rifled projectile about 30 mm diameter, and cast iron round shot about 75 mm diameter from those days.

Cheers, John

Dr John Pickard

john.p...@bigpond.com