Peking Man

Gary Vines

Nov 25, 2020, 1:42:22 AM11/25/20
to oza...@googlegroups.com

Seen at a brick-a-brac market in Castlemaine the other day (along with Chinese anatomy and US aircraft and warship identification posters.

Anyone know Chinese and can tell me what they teach about Palaeolithic hunter gatherers in the PRC?

My guess is Martial Arts with a lump of rock; Interpretive dance; and The one that got away.

Nic Dolby

Nov 25, 2020, 2:07:17 AM11/25/20
to oza...@googlegroups.com
Gary
I'm sorry I can't read Chinese
In regards to the subject matter, I find the "Go away, those are our animals" interesting, thank goodness there was a ravine to separate the two groups in disagreement.
Interesting to see the stone tools strongly featured, including men making them (women apparently worked on bone tools, not stone), even though nobody is shown doing anything with them, even the wooden tools in peoples hands seem unmodified.
Sex ratio is strange indeed, while I can appreciate that those particular animals are those small groups of men's concern only, in the other slices of life there is one woman to 3-4 men!
I can't help looking at the brain and blood vessel plots and not thinking of a growing catchment and river density map.

This does remind me of the displays at Sangiran, Jawa and elsewhere, where all depictions of Homo erectus and others were very strongly Javanese in appearance.
It seems a truism that in the past all depictions of earlier humans showed them appearing like the population of the artists and academics directing the depiction.
(Sort of like blonde blue-eyed Jesuses)
I needn't remind you of all the feminist critiques on visual recreations of past humans

So the take home message from the poster is that in the origins of humans, men were important, territory was important,stone tools were important (but we're not sure why), and older men were the leaders.
Now how does that reflect the last 70 years of Chinese politics and society?
nic

Doug Williams

Nov 25, 2020, 7:07:39 PM11/25/20
to oza...@googlegroups.com

From my nephew, fairly fluent in Chinese

It goes left to right top to bottom

1.   'Organised labour began with the manufacturing of tools'
2.   'How stone implements were held'
3.   'Tools from the ape-man (pithecanthropus) era (stone tools and bone tools)
4.   'Tools from the Neanderthal period (stone tools)'
5.  Tools from the homosapien period (stone tools)
6.   'Language arose alongside, and because of, organised labour'
7.   'Our ancestors used language to communicate about  organised work experiences'
8.   'Brain comparison between orangutan (left), Peking man (center), and modern man (right)'
---

Doug Williams

Director

0412997177

      www.accessarchaeology.com

Richard Wright

Nov 25, 2020, 10:56:27 PM11/25/20
to oza...@googlegroups.com
Doug

Please thank you nephew.

I tried Google translate (via camera) and for #4 got 'Tools from the Nepalese period (stone tools)'. I wonder whether that says something about how China views the Nepalese.

Richard
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ozarch/cbb5f6ce1305c41735359b3ec7fffa4f%40accessarchaeology.com .

Richard Wright
3 Baringa Road
Mortdale
NSW 2223
Australia

Phone: 0417292582

Dr Shaun Canning

Nov 25, 2020, 11:00:12 PM11/25/20
to oza...@googlegroups.com

Maybe it’s been through the ‘Xi Jinping thought’ machine and is now the “paleolithic with Chinese characteristics”?

Regards,
Dr Shaun Canning
Managing Director and Principal Heritage Advisor
Australian Cultural Heritage Management
ADELAIDE | BRISBANE |MELBOURNE | PERTH | SYDNEY
T:  1300 724 913
M: 0400 204 536
E:   Shaun....@achm.com.au
Wwww.achm.com.au
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia and recognise their continuing connection to land, waters and culture. We pay our respects to their Elders past, present and emerging.
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individuals named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Doug Williams

Nov 27, 2020, 2:13:20 AM11/27/20
to oza...@googlegroups.com, Richard Wright

I will do that Richard.

He mentioned just now that he forgot to say the characters are traditional Chinese and so the poster would date to before c.1947, OR it might be later if it is from Taiwan or Hong Kong.

Cheers

Doug.

---

Doug Williams