Namespaces are obsolete

liam

Sep 5, 2012, 10:12:18 PM9/5/12
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
This is an interesting post that came up last night at the Brisbane alt.net beers:

It is about the pros/cons of different modularity systems.

PandaWood

Oct 28, 2013, 2:52:18 AM10/28/13
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
A little too "cutesy" writing style for my taste ;-)

>> Hierarchy: programmers like neat little boxes, and especially boxes within boxes within boxes. For some reason. Regular human beings on the other hand, tend to think linearly,

For a start, there's no point in contrasting "regular human beings" here because we're talking about programmers who have to program machines where being extremely organized and methodical is essential.
Regular human beings don't have to program machines, so why incorporate this into the point?

Without any specialized search-tools, hierarchical storage is obviously required - in the generic sense. Unless you think all OS's should be reformatted with all files at the root level.

He says hierarchy is "more than anything, an aesthetical choice" but doesn't justify that statement in any way. No examples, with/without.

This article would be much better if he took the opposing argument/position seriously and wrestled with it.
I have a feeling that he's right, but what would my programming day look like without namespaces.. are their cases where it can be justified, where it's practically essential...? etc

Simon

Nov 6, 2013, 2:41:56 AM11/6/13
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com