[Perth] First meeting

1 view

Mike Minutillo

Jan 21, 2009, 6:52:39 AM1/21/09
to ozaltdotnet
This is a post for those specifically in the Perth Area. I am thinking
to run the first Perth ALT.NET meeting Wednesday the 11th of Feb.
While I look for a venue, does anyone have a topic they'd particularly
like to discuss at our first session?

Personally I am on a bit of a Principles & Practices kick at the
moment and I always love talking about TDD, IoC, ORM, SOLID and any
number of other acronyms^D^D^D^D ALT.NET-like topics so whatever
people are up for really.

If you intend to attend please RSVP to this thread. It will help me to
get a venue.

P.S. I'm exploring a few avenues but if anyone has any amazing ideas
for venues let me know. If I can't find one we'll meet in a pub :)

Stephen Price

Jan 21, 2009, 7:46:55 PM1/21/09
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good, count me in.

No ideas as for venue but if I think of anything will let you know.

cheers,
Stephen

RhysC

Jan 27, 2009, 8:47:05 AM1/27/09
to ozaltdotnet
Im in and keen as a been... My 3rd continent of Alt.Net!

RhysC

On Jan 22, 9:46 am, Stephen Price <step...@littlevoices.com> wrote:
> Sounds good, count me in.
> No ideas as for venue but if I think of anything will let you know.
>
> cheers,
> Stephen
>
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 8:52 PM, Mike Minutillo <michael.minuti...@gmail.com

Rory

Jan 29, 2009, 7:25:24 AM1/29/09
to ozaltdotnet
I would be interested in attending something like this, although i
consider myself rather new to the alt.net practices.

On Jan 21, 8:52 pm, Mike Minutillo <michael.minuti...@gmail.com>

Michael Minutillo

Jan 29, 2009, 8:37:23 AM1/29/09
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rory,

We'll be happy to see you. I'd like to think of an ALT.NET group almost like a regular Open Spaces thing. That is:

1) Whoever shows are the right people
2) Whatever happens is the only thing that could
3) Whenever it starts is the right time
4) When it's over, it's over

Mark the 11th Feb off on your calendar. I'm going to pick a venue tomorrow.
--
Michael M. Minutillo
Indiscriminate Information Sponge

Mike Minutillo

Feb 1, 2009, 8:45:39 AM2/1/09
to ozaltdotnet
OK. So we are now a week and a half away. I'm going to see about
getting a back-room at a pub in the city for the night. If I can't
then I'll just host the first one at my office in Murray Street (I'm
pretty sure I can get permission for this one). Who's coming and what
do you want to talk about? Not just at this first one but going
forward.

Here's some ideas:

* Unit Testing
* Object Mocking
* SOLID Principles
* eXtreme Programming
* Test-Driven Development
* Domain Driven Design
* Using Ruby as Scripting Glue
* ASP.NET MVC
* Why does ReSharper get all the attention?
* Learning/Teaching the craft or Mentoring Schemes
* Stuff I wish I knew when I started out
* The first 5 tools I install on every new machine
* Design Patterns in real software
* Aspect Oriented Programming
* Perth ORM Smackdown. NHibernate vs netTiers vs Subsonic vs Entity
Framework vs LINQ to SQL (sniff)
.... Or make up your own. Seriously, or I'll just pick one of those.

On Jan 29, 10:37 pm, Michael Minutillo <michael.minuti...@gmail.com>

Rory

Feb 2, 2009, 7:59:08 AM2/2/09
to ozaltdotnet
I will be there. What time were you thinking? I finish work around
4:30-5, but i work in the city so shouldn't be a problem.

In regards to what to talk about, I am happy with most of the topics
you have listed :)

My particular interests at the moment are:
- unit testing/TDD
- DDD
- brushing up on the fundamentals (SOLID/design patterns)

In addition, it might be an idea to talk about techniques for
improving the quality of existing code. Granted, some of the subjects
you listed can be applied, but it could be beneficial to use that as a
context for when discussing these subjects.

On Feb 1, 10:45 pm, Mike Minutillo <michael.minuti...@gmail.com>

c...@iinet.net.au

Feb 4, 2009, 1:01:05 AM2/4/09
to ozaltdotnet
I'm certainly interested. A 5:30 start would suit those of us who have
to come in from the suburbs better. Personally I'm currently in the
process of looking at different DI frameworks and in theory writing a
presentation on same (which I may be able to convince my employer I
can present at a user group).

michael....@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2009, 1:35:52 AM2/4/09
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Yeah. I'm thinking 5:30 until ... whenever we get tired at this stage. I'm going to go and talk to a pub tonight on my way home from work because it is a Wednesday night and I want to get a feel for how busy they would be. If I can't work something out then I'll buy some cans of soft drink and host it in the boardroom of our office here on Murray Street. I didn't particularly want to do that but meh.

For this first session I'm thinking we want our schedule to look something like:

5:30 - 6:00 Meet and Greet, Welcome, News, etc.
6:00 - 6:45 What is ALT.NET, who are we, and what do we want to get out of an ALT.NET User Group (topics, session styles, sponsorship?, alignment with other user groups, etc.)
6:45 - 7:30 Discussion: Must-have tools that go on every new machine (bring your favorites, this will be a discussion after all).

I picked a topic that is light enough that anyone could attend and participate with basically no prior knowledge required.
After I have confirmed a venue I'll flick a post here, update the Perth ALT.NET blog and Mitch has said that he'll let me do a 2 minute stand-up at tomorrow nights Perth .NET CoP.

Speaking of which, if anyone is going to the Perth .NET CoP tomorrow night (I really need to learn some Silverlight) let's catch up for a drink afterwards at 43below (or Bar On Barrack which is what it used to be called).

Getting excited now.

Mike Minutillo
Indiscriminate Information Sponge
http://wolfbyte-net.blogspot.com
http://perth.ozalt.net

Michael Minutillo

Feb 4, 2009, 5:50:11 AM2/4/09
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Mission Accomplished.

We will be meeting at 43below on Barrack Street in the city at 5:30 on Wednesday the 11th February. We have a function room booked and I'll have a projector. They don't have a projection screen but hopefully I can dig one up. Either that or I'll eat MacDonalds for lunch and wear a white shirt.

We don't have any sponsors providing cash and I think it's unlikely that we'll get one any time soon so it'll be pay your own way. 43below has a pretty big menu which you can have a look at on their website. Beer of the month is Pure Blonde :)

There is also a platter menu for the function room but we'd need to organize in advance so if people are keen, let me know. The platters are around the $50-$60 mark.

Hope to see you there.