Is this list still alive? Etiquette on Job postings?

Adam Webber

Aug 20, 2013, 2:15:47 AM8/20/13
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Do many people still lurk on this list? Where else did folks go to? (Twitter?)  What is the etiquette on seeing if anyone might be interested in work?

Thanks,

Adam Webber

Richard Banks

Aug 20, 2013, 2:43:16 AM8/20/13
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
It's still alive, but I think most people have simply migrated their conversations to Twitter. :-)

Jimmy P

Aug 20, 2013, 2:44:14 AM8/20/13
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com, ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Indeed. Though I know of at least on person who successfully filled a position by posting to this list last year.
Have at it. :)

Sent from Mailbox for iPhone

Find us on the web at http://ozalt.net
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ozaltdotnet" group.

Michael Ridland

Aug 20, 2013, 2:46:47 AM8/20/13
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com

My personal view is individual members can post jobs, unless you're hiring 24/7.

Andrew Stone

Aug 20, 2013, 2:48:15 AM8/20/13
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com

Everyone codes javascript on the server now :)

I say thow caution to the wind and post your job! ;)

Note: I posted a job here recently and got zero hits. But found plenty of good devs via linked in. YMMV.

Stephen Price

Aug 20, 2013, 5:06:49 AM8/20/13
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Wait what? is there a Twitter tag I'm missing out on?
Dang it, I thought it was quite...

Andrew Stone

Aug 20, 2013, 6:04:25 AM8/20/13
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Yep: #sydjs Oops sorry #badjoke

No wait...
#altnet and #sydaltNet and a i'm sure there are other random ones, like Mr P's #ozaltnetOpenspaces ;)

Jimmy P

Aug 20, 2013, 6:41:41 AM8/20/13
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
We use #melbaltnet

I really only use it to announce meetups though. Rare that there is really much discussion following the hashtag.

Discussion really just occurs between members as conversation..

@pjimmy
Cheers,

Jim P
@pjimmy

Adam Webber

Aug 21, 2013, 11:27:25 PM8/21/13
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
ok here goes:

2 - 3 positions available

We are a Health company http://www.oceaninformatics.com/ whose leaders created the openEHR standard, which is slowly taking over the world as the best way to do Health computing.

We have built the oceanEHR platform based on the openEHR standard, and provide this platform to others to build systems, we also build our own products and systems on this platform.

----------------

We are looking for full-stack engineers, although positions would lean to front (Html + CSS + AngularJS + Javascript + c# + asp.net MVC + DB tech) and rear (c#, core platform code, web services, integration tasks, xslt, messaging protocols, NHibernate, DB tech)
- that being said, you'll probably end up learning it all over some period.  We just want strong engineers who can learn anything.

----------------

We are a distributed team, with folks in Darwin, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, UK
That being said, for these development positions we are aiming for folks in Adelaide (will work from an office) or Brisbane (work from home with occasional face 2 face).

- working remotely is hard, please consider if you have the maturity to work unsupervised, and the ability to work in physical solitude without going crazy.

----------------

What your working week will look like:

- lots of new software development
- some support of existing products and systems, bug fixing, enhancements
- few meetings

So, if you are voracious learner, an initiative taking developer, likes hard stuff, cares about what they build, then we would love to hear from you.

Cheers,

Adam Webber

Andrew Stone

Aug 21, 2013, 11:41:11 PM8/21/13
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
As a side note, this bit reminds me of some of my own past challenges:

 working remotely is hard, please consider if you have the maturity to work unsupervised, and the ability to work in physical solitude without going crazy.

IMO the best solution to this is to take up co-working, it's far better/beneficial than you may think at first and relatively speaking it is not expensive.
This blog has a decent list of co-working venues nation wide: http://blog.thefetch.com/coworking-spaces/coworking-in-australia/

If you are working form home and going a bit mad, then take my word for it have a look at co-working. It changed my perspective a great deal.
The cross pollination with others and feeling human again boosts your productivity well beyond what you can do sitting alone at home.

:)
Regards,
Stonie.

Adam Webber

Aug 21, 2013, 11:59:26 PM8/21/13
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Yep I have a wife and 3yo at home to drive me happily crazy, I'm not sure how I would go in a completely empty house.

We have office space available to us once a week, but I'll point these co-working places out to my crew too - thanks.