Temperature sensing

Jenny List

Nov 10, 2014, 2:18:02 PM11/10/14
to oxford-ras...@googlegroups.com
As requested, a forward to the group.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Paul Moore <xxxxxxx...@xxxxx.xxxx.xxx>
Date: Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 3:33 PM
Subject: Temperature sensing
To: Jenny List <xxxx...@xxxxx.xxx.xxxx.xx>

Hi Jenny,

FYI: Could you forward to the group if possible:

I have been experimenting with temperature measurement using the
one-wire DS18B20 temperature probe.  Interacing the DS18B20 was fairly
easy to get going.  The temperature is uploaded every ten minutes and I
use DyGraph to visualise it here: http://pjmoore.net/loggerx.html
(Firefox) or http://pjmoore.net/logger.html (IE)

To measure radiant temperature I did an experiment with two probes, one
painted black.  But there was no measurable difference in temperature,
so I forked out about £17 on a Melexis MLX90614  IR sensor. There is a
nice application of this sensor for thermography at
http://www.xn--c-lmb.net/2013/07/thermographie-kamera-mit-dem-raspberry.html.
  Interfacing this probe was more tricky.  Since I was using a Model B
Revision 1, the I2C library needed recompiling.  However, I got it to
measure some temperatures last night and will report any progress.

Regards

Paul.