Temperature sensing

Paul Moore

Nov 11, 2014, 6:23:56 PM11/11/14
to oxford-ras...@googlegroups.com
I have been experimenting with temperature measurement using the
one-wire DS18B20 temperature probe.  Interacing the DS18B20 was fairly
easy to get going.  The temperature is uploaded every ten minutes and I
use DyGraph to visualise it here: http://pjmoore.net/loggerx.html
(Firefox) or http://pjmoore.net/logger.html (IE)

To measure radiant temperature I did an experiment with two probes, one
painted black.  But there was no measurable difference in temperature,
so I forked out about £17 on a Melexis MLX90614  IR sensor. There is a
nice application of this sensor for thermography at
http://www.xn--c-lmb.net/2013/07/thermographie-kamera-mit-dem-raspberry.html.

Interfacing this probe was more tricky. Since I was using a Model B Revision 1, the I2C library needed recompiling. However, I got it to measure some temperatures last night and will report any progress.

Pete Milne

Nov 15, 2014, 5:21:09 AM11/15/14
to oxford-ras...@googlegroups.com
You should take a look at https://xively.com/ it has a nice api. Here are my temp feeds from Maxim DS sensors using Arduino https://xively.com/feeds/14134

Paul Moore

Nov 17, 2014, 6:48:14 AM11/17/14
to oxford-ras...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Pete - Xiverly looks good.

For the MLX90614 wiring to the GPIO, I used the circuit that was helpfully included at http://www.xn--c-lmb.net/2013/07/thermographie-kamera-mit-dem-raspberry.html, and it cost me several hours of debugging.  In fact the circuit is correct, but I misread pin "1" as a pin "7".  I suggest a new European directive...

Paul Brown

Nov 21, 2014, 6:11:54 PM11/21/14
to oxford-ras...@googlegroups.com
I use that particular api for my airpi device.