Substance and style, I can see why Denmark is the happiest country on earth

Oxelon Newsletter

Oct 29, 2013, 3:03:07 PM10/29/13
to oxelo...@googlegroups.com

Substance and style, I can see why Denmark is the happiest country on earth

Earlier this year journalist Patrick Kingsley wrote a book called How to be Danish, which proved quite prescient as last month it was named The Happiest Country on Earth by the UN.Six separate social and political factors were evaluated when coming up with the list. The United Kingdom ranked 22, which was behind, Venezuela (whose largest city Caracas is the kidnap capital of the world), Mexico (with its bloody drug gang wars) and Israel (which has less than cordial relations with its neighbours).On my trip I came up with my own, poorly researched and entirely unscientific theories for their happiness. Which I will share with you now. First, it was much colder and wetter than he...

Dez Bryant had the most absurd tantrum since ... his, from earlier

Maybe what Dez Bryant needs for his own good -- and for the good of the Cowboys in the long run, if not for their game next week against the visiting Vikings -- is to have the game he loves, maybe the thing in this world that matters most to him, taken away. Not taken away forever. But for a week or two or whatever.Put him in timeout. Because what Dez Bryant did Sunday was act like a 3-year-old.Bryant threw a fit on the sideline in the second half, presumably because he wasn't getting the ball enough, and then when nobody told him that he shouldn't behave like that -- literally, the Cowboys in the vicinity ignored it when Bryant screamed at his receivers coach and then screamed...

White House weighs an end to spying on friendly world leaders

The administration official said that statement was not accurate, but added that some unspecified changes already had been made and more were being considered, including terminating the collection of communications from friendly heads of state.The official was not authorized to discuss the review by name and insisted on anonymity.As a result of the spying allegations, German officials said Monday that the U.S. could lose access to an important law enforcement tool used to track terrorist money flows. As possible leverage, German authorities cited last week�s non-binding resolution by the European Parliament to suspend a post-9/11 agreement allowing the Americans access to bank...

Religion Services and Announcements

This weekly event is sponsored by the Flagstaff Vipassana Sangha which is a group of people that explore Buddhist meditation practices and teachings mostly from the Theravada tradition. Following the regular meeting, there is an optional discussion. flagstaffvipassana.weebly.com. The Tibetan Center, Katog Jampel Sungling, 2708 N. Fourth St. 814-9851.San Francisco de Asis Catholic School: Visit our school for the following events: Evergreen wreath sale by the 8th grade class to fund their trip to Catalina Island and the Long Beach Marine Institute. Book Fair in the gym Oct. 21-25. Veterans Recognition Day, Nov. 8. Annual Christmas Bazaar, Nov. 16. 320 N. Humphreys St. 779-1341.B...

Battlefield 4 PC Review

Battlefield 4 is an excellent multiplayer game that makes the most of its ambitions, proving once again that destruction is a valuable strategic addition to competitive combat, which reaches its full potential with two killer Commanders are bringing ...

Apple (AAPL) Q4 2013 Earnings Live Blog

Apple shares (NASDAQ: AAPL) are down about 2 percent to $518 after-hours. by Susanna Kim 10/28/2013 8:38:31 PM. Apple beats Wall Street expectations for profit and sales, but the stock is falling on disappointing outlook. by Sandy Cannold 10/28/2013 ...

The Delaware is an economic and ecological treasure

The ecological value of the Delaware River system is well-known. Less well-known is its economic value. An analysis by the University of Delaware concludes the Delaware Basin is an economic engine that (1) contributes more than $20 billion in annual ...

Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis expecting a baby

Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis are expecting a baby together. Reps first confirmed the news to People, and after word got out, Wilde took to Twitter to thank followers for their kind congratulatory wishes: WOW. You guys are awesome. So kind. Thank you ...

Doc Rivers says his Los Angeles Clippers have to earn respect of Los Angeles Lakers to be considered rivals

That's the respect we have to earn. They've already earned that through history. We haven't. That's something we have to earn." Chris Paul came to the Clippers three years ago after NBA commissioner David Stern blocked an earlier move to the Lakers ...

8-8 season for Raiders? It could happen

Jadeveon Clowney is fading out of sight on the Raiders' radar screen. The Raiders would have to pick first or second in the next draft to snag the already fabled South Carolina defensive end. So forget about clownin' for Clowney - that's a game for the ...

'Blackfish' sparks debate over taking kids to SeaWorld, zoos

(CNN) -- The family trip to San Diego that we've been discussing, in part to visit SeaWorld with the kids, might be off -- indefinitely. I relayed that news to my husband (he wasn't pleased) after watching the stirring documentary "Blackfish," which ...

Renewable energy program gains steam in Ridgewood

So ground-breaking is the renewable energy plant at Ridgewood's water treatment facility that the success of the environmental endeavor is creating a global buzz. Village Engineer Chris Rutishauser (left) explains a renewable energy program during a ...

Otter signals Lake Merritt ecosystem's comeback

Greg Lewis had just finished his evening row on Oakland's Lake Merritt when he saw a slick, squirmy, furry bundle hoist itself out of the water and onto the edge of the dock. It was a river otter, the first one spotted in Lake Merritt in decades. "I ...

Happy Barometer app rates your happiness levels

... of themselves or a friend to receive a happiness rating out of ten. Users can also express their happiness by rating their mood, and then view their "Happiness history" which shows the rating, the time it was rated at, and what the weather was like ...

Home Solar Power = This Century's Automobile

Solar power for homes is just getting rolling. It is projected to grow many times over in the coming decades and even simply in the coming few years. When discussing this, it's hard to come up with a great analogy. We often mention that it is a ...

A vegetarian Halloween supper

This Halloween I've made a three course dinner for four people on a student budget. The ingredients are seasonal, cheap and vegetarian. Beetroot "bat wing" soup, "petrifying" pumpkin risotto with roasted pumpkin seeds, and "pickled brains", also known ...

Should We Ditch Cash for Good?

The disadvantages of cash won't be missed -- and there are plenty of them. It's vulnerable to theft. People lose it. It's difficult to move around in large quantities or over distance. It's ideal for anyone who wants to launder money or evade taxes ...

Pace of aid effort frustrates Sandy survivors

But many New Jersey and New York homeowners struggling to rebuild are asking: Where is the money? The Federal Emergency Management Agency provided more than $1.4 billion in assistance to more than 182,000 individuals and homeowners in five ...

Can Pixlee Change Image-Based Marketing? $1.5M On "Yes"

Visual marketing firm Pixlee announced today that it's raised $1.5 million to bulk up on engineering and marketing personnel. The young, image-based social media-driven company says it wants to offer brands new ways of connecting with it consumers and ...

Complete Seoul business travel guide

(CNN) -- For the third straight year, Seoul has ranked fifth in the world for number of international conferences hosted. Its airport is the busiest in Asia. Hotels are bursting to capacity. An increasing number of business travelers is arriving each ...

Sports News, Entertainment, Lifestyle & Technology

Oct 13, 2013; Seattle, WA, USA; Tennessee Titans quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick (4) dives forwards after being tackled by Seattle Seahawks outside linebacker Bruce Irvin (51) during the 2nd half at CenturyLink Field. Seattle defeated Tennessee 20-13.

TLC Appoints Sandy Varo Jarrell Senior Vice Prez of Production & Development, West Coast

Sandy Varo Jarrell has been named TLC's senior veep of production and development, west coast. She is tasked with overseeing strategic direction and storytelling tone of new and ongoing projects in TLC's Los Angeles office, and steps into her new role ...

How Yoga Changes Your Body, Starting The Day You Begin (INFOGRAPHIC)

The Eastern practice of yoga has become a modern-day symbol of peace, serenity and well-being in the West. More than 20 million Americans practice yoga, according to the 2012 Yoga in America study, with practitioners spending more than $10 billion a ...

Steve McClaren hails performance of Liverpool FC youngster Andre Wisdom

Derby County boss Steve McClaren praised the performance of Andre Wisdom after the Liverpool FC youngster made an accomplished debut in their 1-1 draw with Birmingham City. The 20-year-old was selected at right-back ahead of Adam Smith following ...

Professional Growth Is King

They look at the company's business promise, they look for opportunities for personal growth, they look for ways to consistently learn, they look for meaningful challenges. How do you approach game development differently? What software engineering ...

TVA's Green Power Switch generates one million megawatt-hours of electricity

TVA considers the innovative Green Power Switch program, the first of its kind in the Southeast when it started 13 years ago, a success story. TVA said the program has helped prevent more than 700,000 tons of carbon dioxide from being emitted into the ...

Religious Symbols And Their Significance

Religious symbols are a way to unite members of a common faith tradition, and to indicate to others the religious tradition they represent. Though most religions have a number of symbols that represent them, this roundup illustrates some of the most ...

Google Honors Edith Head, Oscar-Winning Costume Designer

Today's Google Doodle celebrates what would have been the 116th birthday of Edith Head (1897-1981), the fashion icon who dressed Hollywood stars like Lucille Ball, Olivia de Havilland, Elizabeth Taylor, Audrey Hepburn, Gloria Swanson, and Bette Davis.

Stanford compassion and altruism research

We can be healthier, live longer, and make the world a better place by exploring our potential for compassionate behavior, according to neurosurgeon James Doty, founder and director of the Center for Compassion and Altruism Research and Education, part ...

Steen launches Ergonomic Guitar line

Guitars like Gibson's iconic Flying V, just about any BC Rich model, or Bob Wiley's Ministar travel guitars may well stand out in any crowd, but they're not exactly built for comfort. Guitar maker Shawn Steen has spent the last two years tweaking and ...

If Not Yet a Winner, the Giants Are a Different Team

Approaching their bye week, the Giants on Monday scattered around the country. The perpetually occupied Tom Coughlin was talking wistfully about his time off, recalling boyhood days of raking leaves by the side of the family home.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Oxelon Newsletter.
0.gif
9.gif
logo.gif
1.gif