`The Voice` recap

Oxelon Newsletter

Nov 5, 2013, 3:03:07 PM11/5/13
to oxelo...@googlegroups.com

'The Voice' recap

Finally, after waiting patiently through the blind auditions, sifting through the battle rounds, and bull-dozing past the knockouts, we're treated to some live performances, and with that, a clearer look at the Top 20 singers. It's also the first democratic night: "You have a lot of power in your hands," host Carson Daly reminds America about our ability to vote via iTunes. Monday night featured consistently good renditions from Team Blake and Team Adam. The coaches were in especially ebullient moods, freely giving positive feedback, though a little too much at times. The whole show felt like one giant fuzzy embrace, and while I'm down for some feel-good TV, I was hoping the coaches w...

Sacred ruins a jungle secret

its five levels symbolise various aspects of Buddhism, illustrated by elaborate carvings. Writers have described it as a guidebook-in-stone to Mahayana Buddhism. The complex resembles a mandala (a circular Buddhist design that symbolises the universe). Its construction required thousands of labourers, though whether these were exceptionally devout volunteers or hapless slaves is still hotly debated. Talented carvers and other skilled craftsmen laboured for decades to create Borobudur's intricate and ornate artwork, but it gradually fell into disuse and neglect. All but forgotten and partly collapsed, it was largely covered by volcanic ash until the 19th century when successive...

RELIGION NEWS

This weekly event is sponsored by the Flagstaff Vipassana Sangha which is a group of people that explore Buddhist meditation practices and teachings mostly from the Theravada tradition. We are primarily a group of people interested in supporting each other in cultivating qualities that lead to an embodied spiritual life. Following the regular meeting, there is an optional discussion from 8:15-9 p.m. flagstaffvipassana.weebly.com. The Tibetan Center, Katog Jampel Sungling, 2708 N. Fourth St. 814-9851.Buddhist Meditation: Group meditation practice is offered every Wednesday evening. Practitioners of all levels are welcome to attend. We alternate three practices: Shamata, which develops...

Why Jason Campbell's impact is felt by the entire Cleveland Browns lineup

Baltimore Ravens Cleveland Browns D'Qwell Jackson, Joe Thomas, Jason Campbell, Joe Haden and head coach Rob Chudzinski talked about finally ending the 11-game losing streak to the Baltimore Ravens when they beat them 24-18 at FirstEnergy ...

Why Nick Foles- incredible day may have been bad for the Eagles

So now what is to be done with totally average star quarterback Nick Foles? Lucky for Kelly, Vick's status remains up in the air so perhaps a decision won't need to be made immediately. Perhaps Foles' play will even out and any questions will answer ...

Why the Climate Corporation Sold Itself to Monsanto

For this week's issue of the magazine, I wrote about the Climate Corporation, a company that is trying to deploy a vast and growing trove of data to help farmers cope with the increasingly severe fluctuations in weather caused by climate change, in ...

How much are we willing to pay for the pursuit of happiness?

Radcliff is a political scientist at Notre Dame whose work places him in the forefront of what might be labeled happiness studies. His particular corner of the field looks at social policies and political outcomes. It's an ambitious study, as is shown ...

Shakuntala Devi, the 'Human Computer,' Gets Google Doodle

For most of us, the calculator on our smartphones is a godsend when figuring out the dinner bill or other computations, but for Shakuntala Devi, her brain was the fastest way to figure out a complicated math problem. Google is honoring the 84th ...

Getting Its Share of Attention

The seven-week class teaches mindfulness, a loose term that covers an array of attention-training practices. It may mean spending 10 minutes with eyes closed on a gold-threaded pillow every morning or truly listening to your mother-in-law for once ...

Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News

Girl who helped those in need gets the kindness returned. By Joe English KATU News and KATU.com Staff Published: Nov 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM PST Last Updated: Nov 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM PST. Share this story. Comments; print · email · Girl who helped those in ...

The 17 Dumbest Things Vegetarians Have To Deal With

"Wait, so you don't eat meat? I don't get how that's possible." The number of times vegetarians hear this is mind-blowing. Well, we've been vegetarian for years and we are somehow still alive, so it is most definitely possible. Your inability to fathom ...

Ancient builders slid 100-ton rocks on ice paths to construct China's Forbidden City

In ancient Egypt, pyramid builders pushed limestone on roller logs up inclined ramps to bring them to their spot on the massive pointed structures. It's too bad, Stone said, that "they couldn't freeze." Jiang Lia, Haosheng Chenb, and Howard Stone are ...

BlackBerry Comeback Hampered by Vanishing Cash

Investors are no longer wondering if BlackBerry Ltd. (BBRY) will run out of cash. For some, it's now a question of when. The struggling smartphone maker embarked on a plan to raise $1 billion in convertible debt yesterday after the collapse of a $4.7 ...

Unmarried aunts who want to spoil other people-s kids – Quartz

Advertisers for toys and other children's products have already started marketing to PANKs around the holidays. With Euromonitor's report, the PANK story gains traction in the travel industry too. Sites like Intrepid Travel, a small group adventure ...

After blowout of Steelers, Tom Brady and Pats passing game at familiar crossroads

The 55 points marked the most ever given by the Steelers, Tom Brady's 432 passing yards represented the third-highest output for his career, and it was the first time the Patriots ever had three pass catchers top 100 yards in one game. But does the ...

What time is it? Call of Duty

Like the wise Zac Efron once asked in High School Musical 2, "What time is it?" No, it's not summer time. It's actually November, which means it's Call of Duty time -- particularly Call of Duty: Ghosts time. The latest entry in Activision's blockbuster ...

Actions underpinned by greed, not compassion

The values that underpin this hypocrisy are greed rather than compassion. The actions of the Abbott government are in sectional self-interest. I do not like to think what the Abbott-redesigned Australia will look like in the years to come. But as Mark ...

Google and Microsoft-s newest rivalry

Google and Microsoft aren't just battling for supremacy in search engines, mobile phones and tablet computers. They're competing to be the top tech do-gooder in renewable energy. Microsoft announced today it has signed its first big green power deal, ...

Dutch Gamble on U.S. Housing Debt After Patience Wins

The Dutch government's decision to hold onto U.S. mortgage debt acquired during the 2009 bailout of ING Groep NV has paid off so far as prices of the securities soared, more than doubling in some cases from lows that year. The nation now is planning to ...

'NCIS' adds Emily Wickersham to cast

"NCIS," the top-rated drama on television, didn't take long to find a replacement for the departed Cote de Pablo. CBS confirmed Monday that Emily Wickersham will join the show as a regular starting with the Nov. 19 episode. Wickersham, who is known ...

Apple to build new manufacturing facility in Arizona with solar-power, will create 2000+ jobs

The State of Arizona today announced that Apple is planning to build a new manufacturing facility in the city of Mesa, Arizona. The facility will create 700 jobs for manufacturing, and an additional 1,300 jobs for the construction and management of the ...

'Joyful' mural by Keith Haring restored in Point Breeze

'Joyful' mural by Keith Haring restored in Point Breeze. 10 comments. Erica Bryant, the home owner, mimics a keith Haring figure. "We The Youth," a Keith Haring mural originally created in 1987 at 22nd and Ellsworth Streets, has been restored by ...

Business travel spending expected to rise in 2014

Business travelers plan to pack their suitcases more frequently next year, according to several industry forecasts, which also project slightly higher hotel rates and steady-to-declining airfares. A study by the Global Business Travel Association ...

Hugh Joyce focuses on sustainable energy

Businesses: James River Air Conditioning Co. Inc.; 1905 Westmoreland LLC; Global Comfort Group; Whitescarver Engineering, Roanoke; Joyce Leasing; and Gallery Flux, Ashland;. Professional: former board member, Air Conditioning Contractors of America ...

Professional Growth Is King

They look at the company's business promise, they look for opportunities for personal growth, they look for ways to consistently learn, they look for meaningful challenges. How do you approach game development differently? What software engineering ...

How to Escape from Apple's Ecosystem in OS X Mavericks

iBooks is certainly respectable, but by the time it came along, most book fanatics were already invested in the Kindle ecosystem. So, if you're on a Mac, we'd suggest ditching the new iBooks desktop app and getting the Kindle desktop app instead. Plus ...

TVA's Green Power Switch generates one million megawatt-hours of electricity

TVA considers the innovative Green Power Switch program, the first of its kind in the Southeast when it started 13 years ago, a success story. TVA said the program has helped prevent more than 700,000 tons of carbon dioxide from being emitted into the ...

Spooks movie given go ahead

Spooks: The Greater Good will see the return of Peter Firth who will reprise his role as MI5 chief Sir Harry Pearce, in the big screen version of the award-winning series. The plot, in typical Spooks style, revolves around terrorist Adam Qasim escaping ...

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Oxelon Newsletter.
0.gif
9.gif
logo.gif
1.gif