What A Shy Waitress Taught Me About Generosity

Oxelon Newsletter

Nov 3, 2013, 3:03:07 PM11/3/13
to oxelo...@googlegroups.com

What A Shy Waitress Taught Me About Generosity

The first generosity may well be attentive respect. I had noticed that birdbath, but only that it was awkward, weighty, gray -- of a piece with everything I thought I knew about that man. All the ecologies of value grow and elaborate themselves in deepest privacy. Even we might not know what a home or a friendship means to us until we leave it or lose it. So how can we have sufficient care of other people not to do harm, out of indifference or clumsiness or the failure of imagination? Here is another tale from my youth, another lesson, as I take it, in the intense flourishing of value, in fact a blossoming tropic of value, contained within a very specific and private, even so...

RELIGION NEWS

This weekly event is sponsored by the Flagstaff Vipassana Sangha which is a group of people that explore Buddhist meditation practices and teachings mostly from the Theravada tradition. We are primarily a group of people interested in supporting each other in cultivating qualities that lead to an embodied spiritual life. Following the regular meeting, there is an optional discussion from 8:15-9 p.m. flagstaffvipassana.weebly.com. The Tibetan Center, Katog Jampel Sungling, 2708 N. Fourth St. 814-9851.Buddhist Meditation: Group meditation practice is offered every Wednesday evening. Practitioners of all levels are welcome to attend. We alternate three practices: Shamata, which develops...

Climate Change Seen Posing Risk to Food Supplies

Climate change will pose sharp risks to the world's food supply in coming decades, potentially undermining crop production and driving up prices at a time when the demand for food is expected to soar, scientists have found.

Breeders- Cup 2013 schedule, post times, odds

The Early Lead. Breeders' Cup 2013 schedule, post times, odds. By Kelyn Soong. November 1 at 9:37 am. More. Comments. Twilight Eclipse is ridden in the early morning at Santa Anita Park, Thursday, Oct. Twilight Eclipse is entered in Saturday's Breeders ...

Nicki Minaj squeezes her famous figure into a skintight printed jumpsuit for Powerhouse event

Nicki Minaj is a big fan of the shock factor, especially when it comes to her outfits. And the rapper didn't disappoint in a cleavage-bearing gold chain jumpsuit for a New York City event on Saturday. The garment was black with a gold chain print that ...

Fletcher studio blend zurich biopool into an ecological oasis

suspended on the edge of a steep hillside, the ecological 'biopool' by san francisco-based fletcher studio merges in with its natural environment. situated in zurich, switzerland the entire project includes a swimming pool, spa, sun deck, kitchen ...

Florida Wants More Money To Lure Tourists � CBS Miami

The visitors in 2012 spent about $67.2 billion, generating 23 percent of the state's sales-tax revenue, according to a Florida TaxWatch study that suggested the additional state money would be needed to reach the 100 million benchmark. To try to reach ...

NYC Marathon Returns Amid Increased Security

That was the last time the NYC Marathon was held, and much has changed since that day Mutai describes as "perfect." The 2012 race was called off because of the destruction of Superstorm Sandy, but not before the week's events enraged many residents ...

Saturday Night Live Addresses Race Issue In Kerry Washington Cold Open

Kerry Washington was the first person to portray Michelle Obama since Maya Rudolph, and SNL wasn't shy about addressing its lack of diversity. posted on November 3, 2013 at 1:58am EST. Alison Vingiano BuzzFeed Staff posted about 7 hours ago. Follow.

IPad air on sale in early WalMart Black Friday 2013 deals

WalMart is selling the iPad Air, and it is already discounting Apple's newest iPad in part of its early Black Friday 2013 sales strategy. Apple is selling the iPad Air for $499. However, thanks to the WalMart pre Black Friday sales, you can get it for ...

Priscah Jeptoo, Geoffrey Mutai of Kenya win women's and men's titles

Geoffrey Mutai crosses the finish line Sunday to capture the NYC Marathon. Mutai, 32, ran away with the men's crown, powering through the home stretch amid autumn foliage to break the tape at 2:08:24. Nearly 50,000 runners are making their way through ...

Bollywood wishes happiness, peace this Diwali

"On this auspicious occasion of Diwali, I wish all of you a very happy Diwali. May you hyave lot of prosperity, happiness and peace in this new year. May you all live together in a harmony and togetherness," he said. Choreographer-filmmaker Farah Khan ...

'Ender's Game' Trumps Competition Friday With $9.9 Million

Ender's Game is a sizeable gamble for Gigi Pritzker's OddLot, which financed much of the movie and dispatched sister company Sierra/Affinity to sell it internationally. Last weekend, Ender's Game debuted at a soft No. 5 in the U.K. with just under $2 ...

Renewable Energy Portfolio Outpaces Market

The Paradigm Portfolio is a select list of green investments that are considered best positioned to benefit from the energy paradigm shift away from foreign oil and polluting coal and toward cleaner power alternatives. These leadership companies are ...

Getting Its Share of Attention

The seven-week class teaches mindfulness, a loose term that covers an array of attention-training practices. It may mean spending 10 minutes with eyes closed on a gold-threaded pillow every morning or truly listening to your mother-in-law for once ...

The Next Business Stage Requires Aggressive Growth

Early-stage entrepreneurs rightly keep their focus on creating an innovative product or service. After celebrating success at that level, they often find themselves ill-prepared to move to the next stage, for scaling their business into a high ...

NYC Marathon Photos � CBS New York

Runners race in the New York City Marathon on November 3, 2013. (credit: Stan Honda/Getty Images). NYC Marathon Photos. Marathon supporters in Manhattan. (credit: Marla Diamond). NYC Marathon Photos. A runner dons a 'Boston Strong' shirt while ...

Best Fitness Products November 2013

This month, we're slipping on our lightweight dancing shoes, throwing a stainless steel lunch box and self-filtering water bottle in our bags, and heading out the door. What's giving us all the energy to stay on the go this holiday season? A clean ...

Edawn The Esoteric

You may have seen Edawn on our recent edition of Heatseekers, but if not, we're introducing you to the talented singer with her song "Partial." In the singer's own words, "'Partial' was originally a poem I wrote. Partial is sensual novelty. This track ...

Steen launches Ergonomic Guitar line

Guitars like Gibson's iconic Flying V, just about any BC Rich model, or Bob Wiley's Ministar travel guitars may well stand out in any crowd, but they're not exactly built for comfort. Guitar maker Shawn Steen has spent the last two years tweaking and ...

Outrageous acts of kindness in restaurants

While we often hear nasty stories about how people act toward each other in public, sometimes it's good to hear the good stories too. It doesn't always take much to make someone's day. We've covered a lot of stories of people giving outrageous tips or ...

All Saints Day is celebrated in New Orleans

All Saints Day, or the Feast of All Saints, is observed on Nov. 1, when residents traditionally use the day to clean family gravestones and install fresh flowers. It is also a holy day of obligation for Catholics. On Friday, residents throughout the ...

Daylight saving time ends Sunday morning

The upshot of the time change is an extra hour of sleep on Sunday and sunny awakenings in the months ahead, while many lament darkness arriving one hour earlier in the evening. Sunday's sunrise falls back to 6:38 a.m. (compared to 7:37 a.m. Saturday), ...

'Top Chef' Goes Vegetarian for Lea Michele

Top Chef wanted to throw a top-notch party for its 150th episode, and that meant a Halloween costume party and gleeful Lea Michele as a guest judge. And because Lea knows that there's nothing festive about dead meat, all the cheftestants served up ...

SpeedRunners to get pirate-friendly free offline version

SpeedRunners, as you might have guessed, is a game about running real fast. It's also a game about jumping and grapple-hooking, two methods of traversal that go particularly well with the above. tinyBuild's game hit Steam Early Access a couple of ...

Demi Lovato opens up about personal growth, relationships, kissing Naya Rivera

Demi Lovato is opening up to Teen Vogue about her personal growth, what she looks for in a man, and her experience working with Naya Rivera on "Glee." Through the years, Lovatics have found inspiration in her personal journey, as she has been so ...

TVA's Green Power Switch generates one million megawatt-hours of electricity

TVA considers the innovative Green Power Switch program, the first of its kind in the Southeast when it started 13 years ago, a success story. TVA said the program has helped prevent more than 700,000 tons of carbon dioxide from being emitted into the ...

Call center growth soaring as more Mainers earn a living on the line — State — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

Lotoya Jeffrey of Lewiston answers a caller's question at the Lewiston call center for Argo Marketing Group on Friday, Oct. 25. Argo Marketing Group is renovating the former McCrory building on Lisbon Street in Lewiston into a new call center with ...

Tendulkar's early years in club cricket

They say if you were good enough to survive in the top division of Mumbai's Kanga Memorial Cricket League, the Ranji Trophy would turn out to be a piece of cake. The Kanga League, a club tournament, has a storied history. Wet, uncovered pitches ...

Chipotle too hot for Einhorn

Einhorn's Greenlight Capital eked out only a 1.2 percent gain for October, according to a source. That compares to a 4.5 percent gain for the S&P 500. His big short on Chipotle Mexican Grill appears to be largely responsible. The fast-food chain gained ...

Spooks movie given go ahead

Spooks: The Greater Good will see the return of Peter Firth who will reprise his role as MI5 chief Sir Harry Pearce, in the big screen version of the award-winning series. The plot, in typical Spooks style, revolves around terrorist Adam Qasim escaping ...

Late 20th century politics and spirituality

The next chapter of The Rest Is Noise is called Politics and Spirituality in the Late 20th Century. In it, we hope to capture the shifting, changing political and social landscape of the 1970s and 80s, exploring how this permeated the mood and music of ...

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Oxelon Newsletter.
0.gif
9.gif
logo.gif
1.gif