Trains will run Tuesday as talks continue

Oxelon Newsletter

Oct 15, 2013, 3:03:06 PM10/15/13
to oxelo...@googlegroups.com

Trains will run Tuesday as talks continue

OAKLAND -- A BART shutdown for Tuesday morning was averted after both sides agreed to keep talking into the wee hours.Federal mediator George Cohen made the announcement around 1 a.m. and said both sides had made "substantial progress" but declined to elaborate. It was unclear whether another strike would be threatened for Wednesday or later."We apologize (that) the Bay Area continues to have to wait until the middle of the night to find out if union leadership will allow the trains to run each morning," BART said in a statement early Tuesday. "We hope we can get this situation resolved quickly so the uncertainty can come to an end."At 5:35 a.m., Cohen announced both sid...

Ancient 'Strip Mall' Unearthed In Greece

Along the scenic coast of the northern Aegean Sea, archaeologists have uncovered a Greek portico, which, 2,500 years ago, would have been a bustling public space, something like an ancient strip mall. The seaside portico, or stoa, stretches 130 feet (40 meters) across with seven rooms inside, each bearing the distinct architectural touches of their ancient shop owners, the site's excavators say. Strewn about the ruins, archaeologists found coins, vases and other artifacts that hold clues to when and how people lived in the archaic city. "Porticos are well known from the Hellenistic period, from the third to first century B.C., but earlier examples are extremely rare," archaeo...

Taylor Swift talks next album, awards and Ed Sheeran

The 23-year-old pop star was honoured for a record sixth time as songwriter-artist of the year by the Nashville Songwriters Association International, surpassing guys like Vince Gill and Alan Jackson. She earned the award with 14 hits in the top 30 over the last year, a tribute to the popularity of her multiplatinum fourth album, Red. As Swift accepts the award, she's six months deep in the songwriting process for her next album. "I think the goal for the next album is to continue to change, and never change in the same way twice," the seven-time Grammy winner said. "How do I write these figurative diary entries in ways that I've never written them before and...

October dedicated to vegetarian awareness

BENNINGTON -- October, sometimes known as the month that kicks off hunting season, is also dedicated to vegetarian awareness. While hunters have been feeding their families with deer and other red meat for centuries, vegetarian practices were officially celebrated by the North American Vegetarian Society beginning in 1977. The dietary practice is intended as a positive way to introduce alternative food choices and improve overall health and well-being. The busy season for many local restaurants, October can be a good time to try new hearty vegetable soups and sandwiches as well as locally grown produce. Vegetarian-friendly menu items are available at most restaurants.

15 Years Later, Where Did All The Cigarette Money Go?

Fifteen years after tobacco companies agreed to pay billions of dollars in fines in what is still the largest civil litigation settlement in U.S. history, it's unclear how state governments are using much of that money. So far tobacco companies have paid more than $100 billion to state governments as part of the 25-year, $246 billion settlement. Among many state governments receiving money, Orange County, Calif., is an outlier. Voters mandated that 80 percent of money from tobacco companies be spent on smoking-related programs, like a cessation class taught in the basement of Anaheim Regional Medical Center. "So go ahead and take a minute or two to write down reaso...

'Good Will Hunting' duo Matt Damon and Ben Affleck to produce a TV sitcom

The Hollywood actors - who wrote Oscar-winning 1997 film 'Good Will Hunting' together - have teamed up once again for 'More Time With Family', a 30-minute per episode series which has been picked up by the US television network CBS, Variety has confirmed. The show is based on Tom Papa's stand-up piece, which follows a man who ditches his career to spend more time with his family, but, after returning from spending time on the road, he realises no one pushed him into making that life-changing decision. The programme will star Papa and will be co-written by 'King of Queens' Cathy Yuspa and Josh Goldsmith, as well as have snippets of Damon's life experiences intertwined within the...

Technology turns sunlight, waste water into sustainable energy source

SANTA CRUZ, Calif., Oct. 14 (UPI) -- A technology using only sunlight and waste water to produce hydrogen gas could provide a sustainable energy source, U.S. researchers say.Scientists at the University of California, Santa Cruz, say the solar-microbial device can also improve the efficiency of waste water treatment.Writing in the American Chemical Society journal ACS Nano, the researchers report their hybrid device combines a microbial fuel cell and a type of solar cell called a photoelectrochemical cell.In the microbial component, bacteria degrade organic matter in the wastewater, generating electricity which is delivered to the solar component to aid in electrolysis, the s...

Crane Trust symposium to focus on Platte River ecosystem

The complexities of the Platte River ecosystem will be the focus of the Crane Trust's second annual research symposium on Friday, with brief presentations on 16 studies being done on trust lands and surrounding habitats.Among this year's featured presentations at the Crane Trust Nature and Visitor Center near Wood River from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. is a time-lapse documentary on the Platte Basin watershed by Michael Forsberg, Mike Farrell and Steven Speicher.The seminal project captures the journey of gathering water droplets as they cascade down from the headwaters of the Platte through Nebraska to the Missouri River.For more information and to register, contact Karen Krull...

For Ping Identity-s Andre Durand, Patience Is A Virtue

For instance, he discusses how he viewed time as a founder at age 35, recalling the feeling of constantly being in a rush; yet 10 years later, now, he strives for patience in business. Surely, the success of Ping has afforded him this luxury, but there ...

Lauren Conrad-s Fiance — 5 Things To Know About LC-s Boyfriend

Congratulations are in order for the stunning Lauren Conrad and her new fiance, William Tell! Now that this beautiful couple is engaged, we're sure you want to know more about William, so Hollywoodlife.com has done all the digging to bring you the ...

Why the Nexus 5 should advance touchless control

The Android-gossip consensus is that we'll see a Nexus 5 running Android 4.4 KitKat revealed on Tuesday, yet we've heard of no confirmation or official invites to any unveiling. Whether the big debut of the next pure Google phone has been pushed back ...

Bob Costas explains his Redskins remarks

I know I'll get yelled at for posting this, but I think Bob Costas talking about a D.C. sports issue during what is consistently the highest-rated program on network primetime television is appropriate fodder for this blog. And I think the same thing ...

These Hilarious Columbus Day Memes Will Make Your Day

It's Columbus Day! You know that holiday we celebrate in honor of the first man to discover America, even though Columbus was not, in fact, the first European to step foot on North American soil. Nor was he the first human being to step foot on ...

Santa Monica imposes fees and restrictions on outdoor fitness groups

Its cult of fitness and the body beautiful has spread around the world, but Santa Monica has now decided to rein in the daily parade of athleticism. The Californian playground of sun and surf has voted to curb the hordes who turn parks into outdoor ...

* Ferruccio Lamborghini's Riva speedboat restored

When you want the last word in brooding power and jaw-dropping Italian style on the road, Lamborghini is a good place to go. When you want the same thing on water, the luxury motor yacht brand Riva is a similarly safe pair of hands. When Lamborghini's ...

$40k Diamond Bonanza ... Hey, I'm With CASH MONEY Now

As you may know ... this weekend, Game announced he joined Lil Wayne's Cash Money crew -- and a few days before the info went public, he prepped by hitting up Jason of Beverly Hills for a pair new diamond chains. One for himself and one for Birdman, ...

International Friendly Match Preview

Canada and Australia have two big things in common heading into their friendly on Tuesday at the home of Premier League club Fulham FC: Both teams are coming off a string of disappointing results, and both count Holger Osieck among their former ...

Demi Lovato opens up about personal growth, relationships, kissing Naya Rivera

Demi Lovato is opening up to Teen Vogue about her personal growth, what she looks for in a man, and her experience working with Naya Rivera on "Glee." Through the years, Lovatics have found inspiration in her personal journey, as she has been so ...

Can Mindfulness Make Us Better Teachers?

A decade's worth of research has documented the great physical, psychological, and social benefits of practicing mindfulness, which involves paying careful attention to your thoughts, feelings, and environment. In recent years, schools have embraced ...

Q&A

Tawang is doubtless the pinnacle of your itinerary and you will need a couple of days here. The valley is culturally and naturally beguiling, its monastery an architecturally magnificent seat of Mahayana Buddhism. Visits to the Ptso Lake and Bum La ...

Needs Improvement in Week 6

I went ahead and looked at the game film one last time this morning, looking for other reasons that potentially cost the Bolts points, and was astounded at Philip Rivers' lack of patience on several pivotal plays. I'm going to highlight three plays ...

Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales

Wu-Tang Clan's Inspectah Deck has announced Czarface 2, a collaborative project with 7L & Esoteric, a follow-up to the trio's February release, Czarface. "We working on that right now," Inspectah Deck said in an exclusive interview with HipHopDX ...

Effort to promote renewable energy on farms too popular for its own good

Across rural America, thousands of farms and small businesses are turning to renewable energy to cut costs and boost their often uncertain bottom lines, increasingly with the help of a decade-old federal program that aimed to hasten change in a part of ...

Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop review

The Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop is the latest entry in Microsoft's line of ergonomic PC peripherals. It's a three-piece desktop set, consisting of a keyboard, numeric keypad, and an ergonomic mouse. In addition to upgrading the ergonomics of your ...

UK solar installation heads for record

Green power: UK solar installation heads for record. Investment in clean technology for UK has risen to £1.6bn, but sector remains under pressure amid growing energy bills. Share · Tweet this. Email. Fiona Harvey · The Guardian, Sunday 13 October 2013.

The Happiest Facts In The World

So thank you to each and every one who took the time to put a smile on my face." Scroll through the list below to check out some of the world's happiest facts according to Reddit users. Then tell us some of your favorite happy facts in the comments ...

What German Wisdom Can Teach The Rest Of The World About The Good Life

But at the same time, with their unique ways to relax, unplug, enjoy nature, and tap into the wisdom of their rich traditions, Germans have lot to teach the rest of the world about living the good life. In honor of the launch of HuffPost Germany, here ...

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Oxelon Newsletter.
0.gif
9.gif
logo.gif
1.gif