GoPro`s video revolution

1 view

Oxelon Newsletter

Nov 11, 2013, 3:03:10 PM11/11/13
to oxelo...@googlegroups.com

GoPro's video revolution

Nick Woodman: Before GoPro, if you wanted to have any footage of yourself doing anything, whether it's video or photo, you not only needed a camera, you needed another human being. And if you wanted the footage to be good, you needed that other human being to have skill with the camera. The result was that most people never had any footage of themselves doing anything. GoPro has certainly changed that. It can be attached to all kinds of things: the nose of a kayak, a hula hoop, a vulture in flight. It costs less than $400 and its wide angle lens doesn't just take high definition video, it can also take photographs, record time lapse and slow motion. In 2012, a hundred...

What A Shy Waitress Taught Me About Generosity

The first generosity may well be attentive respect. I had noticed that birdbath, but only that it was awkward, weighty, gray -- of a piece with everything I thought I knew about that man. All the ecologies of value grow and elaborate themselves in deepest privacy. Even we might not know what a home or a friendship means to us until we leave it or lose it. So how can we have sufficient care of other people not to do harm, out of indifference or clumsiness or the failure of imagination? Here is another tale from my youth, another lesson, as I take it, in the intense flourishing of value, in fact a blossoming tropic of value, contained within a very specific and private, even so...

Local experts say now is the time for solar power

On Friday representatives from various solar power businesses, advocates and energy production companies spoke in favor of the alternative energy saying now was the time to ditch your local power company and invest in solar power."We believe we are at the infancy of the solar revolution," said Bernell Stone, Executive Director of Global Energy Management, an organization devoted to research education in areas of energy, environment and sustainability.Stone compared solar technology to technology in flat screen televisions. He noted that flat screen TV's were once priced in the thousands in the 1990's but now are available for a few hundred dollars. He said the same pricing acti...

Liverpool's Andre Wisdom abandons £100k Porsche in muddy woods after getting lost on way to Derby County stadium

England Under-21 captain Andre Wisdom was forced to abandon his £100,000 Porsche after using a satnav to find the way to his own club's own stadium. Liverpool starlet Wisdom, aged 20, got stuck in a huge mud-filled puddle after driving down a woodland ...

Getting Its Share of Attention

The seven-week class teaches mindfulness, a loose term that covers an array of attention-training practices. It may mean spending 10 minutes with eyes closed on a gold-threaded pillow every morning or truly listening to your mother-in-law for once ...

Ancient Cave Drawings Found In Brazil Depict Armadillos, Other Animals (PHOTOS)

While some resemble ancient art from the central Brazilian plateau, others, surprisingly, seem etched in the artistic tradition of northeastern Brazil, the researchers said. In addition to human figures and geometric shapes, many different kinds of ...

'Happiest Women in the World' for UAE National Day

On Saturday, November 9, Sheikha Manal tweeted: "Join us by sharing your picture with 1 line about why YOU are the happiest woman in the world using #HappiestWomenInTheWorld." Sheikha Manal commented, "The UAE has always ranked high in ...

Peyton Manning of Denver Broncos to get MRI

SAN DIEGO -- Denver quarterback Peyton Manning will undergo an MRI on Monday after taking a selection of big hits in the Broncos' win against San Diego at Qualcomm Stadium on Sunday, including a low hit from Chargers defensive end Corey Liuget with ...

Andre Brown has career game as NY Giants win third-� straight, beat Raiders 24-20�

And Sunday, with a gimpy Terrelle Pryor playing with a sprained MCL, the previously 0-6 Giants' win streak reached three against the Raiders. It was sloppy, as ugly as the previous two, but when you are trying to claw your way back into contention ...

Compassion Color 5K

Runner and walker enthusiasts woke early Saturday morning to join in the Compassion Color 5K. Photo: Jose D. Enriquez III. Runner and walker enthusiasts woke early Saturday morning to join... Runner and walker enthusiasts woke early Saturday morning ...

The female voices who call for change, 7Days, Phnom Penh Post

In Theravada Buddhism, the primary duty of monks is to study and practice morality, meditation and wisdom so as to attain nirvana. They will also preside over communities as spiritual teachers and leaders, and provide instruction in some basic Buddhist ...

Wording glitch in law means Illinois isn't meeting its goals for solar energy

Shawn Temple, a development director for Weston Solutions, said he has manufacturers, grocery chains and retailers interested in erecting solar panels along large swaths of abandoned industrial sites in Chicago. "We have lots of clients and sites ...

49ers’ long-term reality could be tough

Instead, the 49ers -- who lost 10-9 to the visiting Carolina Panthers in a game that had a January feel -- will enter Week 11 facing questions about whether they can beat a good team and have fallen too far behind the Seattle Seahawks in the NFC West hunt.

Happy Veterans Day

Happy Veterans Day to all who served and serve today. For obvious reasons, Veterans Day is an important holiday to me. I have been honored to lead some of the best men and women in the nation, been mentored by some amazing leaders, and met some ...

Sustainable energy conference in Raleigh raises concerns over expiring tax credits (Video)

Phyllis Cuttino of PEW Charitable Trust, left, asks Tom Carlson of Advanced Energy Economy, right, how long federal tax incentives for renewable-energy companies should last at the N.C. Sustainable Energy Association's Making Energy Work 2013 ...

Top 9 Tips To Finding Happiness

I'm so inspired to share the top nine most important things I've learned about life and how to navigate through it to experience the most joy, love, and fulfillment possible! (1) Being of service to others is the biggest factor in maintaining my ...

Coughlin, Langdon earn NHRA titles in season finale

Jeg Coughlin Jr. and Shawn Langdon (pictured) won NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series class championships in this weekend's Auto Club NHRA Finals at Auto Club Raceway in Pomona, California. Coughlin locked up his fifth Pro Stock title Sunday when ...

Co-op Bank to spin-off renewable energy lending divisions

The Co-op Bank is preparing to spin off its renewable energy lending operations into a new business that could lead to the stock market listing of a portfolio of assets worth more than £500m. The separation of the business is part of the troubled ...

The Dark World shows superhero movies can still be joyful

It's a grim time for big-screen superheroes. Rebooted versions of Superman and Spider-Man both have daddy issues. Tony Stark has PTSD. Wolverine kinda wants to die. So it's a relief to watch Thor: The Dark World, which is the lightest, funniest ...

Jay Cutler of Chicago Bears has sprained ankle

CHICAGO -- Bears quarterback Jay Cutler left Sunday's 21-19 loss to the Detroit Lions late in the fourth quarter with what the team is calling a sprained left ankle. Initial tests, done at Soldier Field, came back negative, according to Bears coach ...

Marine Corps birthday a celebration of brotherhood, tradition

As former Marines from Omaha who went through boot camp together, Bernie Yarpe and Jim Skarda get together most weeks as members of a disabled veterans group. They met up Sunday night, too, though this time to celebrate the Marine Corps' birthday, ...

In Bali, An Entrepreneur Builds An Eco-Friendly Workers' Paradise

His East Bali Cashews, the first large-scale cashew processing plant in Bali, employs more than 200 local workers using eco-friendly practices to unshell, package and sell the food. What's more, he recently raised $900,000 to expand the plant and ...

Profits boost for Enel Green Power

Italian renewables giant Enel Green Power (EGP) boosted revenue and profits in the first nine months of the year on the back of burgeoning capacity and power production.

Johnny Manziel remains on top of Heisman watch list

The upshot: Johnny Manziel remained in the top spot in this week's Heisman watch, but Jameis Winston switched places with Marcus Mariota and now is second. Manziel led Texas A&M to a win by throwing five TD passes; he also threw three interceptions.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Oxelon Newsletter.
0.gif
9.gif
logo.gif
1.gif