Cards beat Red Sox 4-2 to tie World Series at game apiece

Oxelon Newsletter

Oct 25, 2013, 3:03:07 PM10/25/13
to oxelo...@googlegroups.com

Cards beat Red Sox 4-2 to tie World Series at game apiece

But then Lackey, who in 2002 with the Angels became the first rookie in 93 years to win a World Series seventh game, faltered in a three-run seventh. St. Louis went ahead when Matt Carpenter hit a sacrifice fly that led to a pair of runs, with the second scoring on errors by catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia and reliever Craig Breslow. Carlos Beltran, back in the lineup after bruising ribs in the opener, followed with an RBI single. "I wanted to be in the lineup. I worked so hard to get to this point," Beltran said. "Somebody would have to kill me in order for me to get out of the lineup." When the Series resumes Saturday night in St. Louis, Jake P...

88% of Marketing Execs Are Either Maintaining or Increasing Ad Budgets

Thirty-nine percent of execs plan to ramp up ad spend, while 49 percent are sitting pat on their budget plans for the time being, says the study, which surveyed 875 CMOs and other marketing higher-ups during late summer and early fall. In other words, only 12 percent plan to slash marketing funds. When asked to rank their sentiment on a scale of 0 to 20 about the next six months of business, the median response charted at 13.6. Regarding the topic of budgets, their sentiment collectively scored a 12.7. Forty-five percent in the study said their feeling about industrywide marketing conditions was improved compared to months ago. Almost the same number (46 percent) said t...

LankaWeb – Kathina Pinkama at Das Buddhistische Haus (Berlin Vihara) in Germany

Kathina is a Theravada Buddhist Festival which comes at the end of Vassa, the three-month rainy season retreat. It is usually held, beginning after the full moon of the eleventh month in the Lunar calendar (usually October). Kathina is a time of giving, for the laity to express gratitude to monks.  Lay Buddhists bring donations to temples, especially new robes for the monks. A Kathina Pinkama was held at Das Buddhistische Haus (Berlin Vihara) on Sunday October 20, 2013 and on the preceding day Saturday October 19, a Pirith reciting ceremony was conducted. During the Vassa period special Dhamma activities including Dhamma discussions, lectures, meditation classes...

Jamie Dornan casting confirmed by E L James who says she is "thrilled"

The book's writer has now put fans' minds at ease, tweeting: "Stow your twitchy palms ladies... our man is here. Welcome to #TeamFifty @JamieDornan1 x". When James was asked how she felt about the new addition to the film, she replied: "Thrilled.".

Fed Proposes Big Banks Hold More Cash, Assets

The Federal Reserve on Thursday proposed that big banks keep enough cash, government bonds and other high-quality assets on hand to survive during a severe downturn on par with the 2008 financial crisis. The proposal subjects U.S. banks for the first ...

What Happens When You Just Give Money To Poor People?

A couple months ago, we reported on an new charity called GiveDirectly that's trying to help poor people in the developing world in an unusual way: By sending them money with no strings attached. The idea behind this is simple. Poor people know what ...

'Blackfish' sparks debate over taking kids to SeaWorld, zoos

(CNN) -- The family trip to San Diego that we've been discussing, in part to visit SeaWorld with the kids, might be off -- indefinitely. I relayed that news to my husband (he wasn't pleased) after watching the stirring documentary "Blackfish," which ...

'Bad Grandpa' matures to score candid camera laughs

Rude, wrong and laugh-till-you-snort funny, Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa (*** out of four, rated R, opens nationwide Friday) not only stands as the best installment (by bounds) of Johnny Knoxville's hidden-camera franchise; it's one of the sharpest ...

The Engadget Mobile Podcast is live at 10PM ET, with two special guests!

This week, the Engadget Mobile Podcast will have not one but two special guests: Engadget Chinese EIC Richard Lai, who flew to Abu Dhabi to cover the Nokia event, and another mystery guest. You want a hint? Well, let's just say you'll want to keep an ...

Fifty Shades' Jamie Dornan & Dakota Johnson Won't Be Alone

After wondering who would take Charlie Hunnam's place as the male lead, production finally confirmed that Hollywood hunk Jamie Dornan will be stepping into the role, starring opposite Dakota Johnson in Fifty Shades of Grey. And although fans may turn ...

How did ancient Greek music sound?

The music of ancient Greece, unheard for thousands of years, is being brought back to life by Armand D'Angour, a musician and tutor in classics at Oxford University. He describes what his research is discovering. "Suppose that 2,500 years from now all ...

Denmark Is Considered The Happiest Country. You'll Never Guess Why.

The happiest countries have in common a large GDP per capita, healthy life expectancy at birth and a lack of corruption in leadership. But also essential were three things over which individual citizens have a bit more control over: A sense of social ...

Online dating levels the romantic playing field for women

Online dating isn't the future of romance, it's the present. According to new Pew findings, one-in-ten Americans and nearly 40% of singles on the romantic hunt have used an online dating site or app. It seems to be working: nearly a quarter of online ...

Weekend weddings for Rider Strong, Danielle Fishel

(CNN) -- The stars of "Boy Meets World" had a busy, wedding-filled weekend. On Saturday, actress Danielle Fishel -- Topanga to "Boy Meets World" fans -- enjoyed "one of the most amazing days" of her life as she wed Tim Belusko in a Los Angeles ceremony.

Meet Pauly D's Baby Mama Amanda Markert

Meet Pauly D's Baby Mama Amanda Markert -- She's a Hooter. Saga: I Have a Love Child · Pauly D -- I Have a Love Child! Pauly D I Have a Love Child. 10/22/13. Pauly D First Baby Pic -- My Kid's Already Fist Pumping! Pauly D FIRST BABY PIC My Kid's ...

‘Pretty Little Liars- Winter Premiere Date — January 7 On ABC Family

The network just announced the return dates for its four hottest dramas, including the second half of Pretty Little Liars' epic fourth season, and the continuations of freshman dramas Twisted and The Fosters. Along with the dates, ABC Family also ...

Arkham Origins Review

Batman games are like pizza: even when they're not very good, they're still pretty good. Next to Arkham City, Arkham Origins is a bit of a disappointment in its lack of new ideas and use of win buttons, making it the least interesting of the trilogy ...

Russell Brand Discusses Politics and Revolution on BBC

Russell Brand, World's Greatest Thinker, Summons a Global Revolution. Why can't America get some articulate celebrities? By Alexander Aciman @acimaniaOct. 25, 20130. Share. Read Later. Send to Kindle ...

UAE leads Gulf countries in renewable energy programme

Abu Dhabi // For the UAE's ambitious renewable energy goals to be met, it is important that the industry sets up a manufacturing base in the region, experts say. Olaf Remmler and Marcel Munz, energy consultants at international management consultancy ...

Stanford Roundtable panelists demystify the secrets of happiness

The Stanford 2013 Roundtable, "Are You Happy Now? The New Science of Happiness and Wellbeing," convened a panel of psychologists, neuroscientists and business experts to discuss what makes people happy. Their message: Pursuing meaning in ...

Religious Symbols And Their Significance

Religious symbols are a way to unite members of a common faith tradition, and to indicate to others the religious tradition they represent. Though most religions have a number of symbols that represent them, this roundup illustrates some of the most ...

Brisk Sales to Business at Microsoft

In the end, the corporate business helped lift overall sales and profit. The company reported net income of $5.24 billion, up from $4.47 billion the same quarter a year ago. Its revenue surged 16 percent, to $18.53 billion, from $16.01 billion a year ...

Who Is Jofi Joseph? All About @NatSecWonk And The Tweets That Got White House Staffer Fired

Jofi Joseph has been outed as the man behind @NatSecWonk, the anonymous and biting Twitter account that took aim both at Obama administration officials and Republicans. Making matters worse for the president, Joseph was part of his national security ...

Apple OS X Mavericks Released Today for Free

Prepare your Macs! Apple's latest version of its OS X operating system will be available today, Apple officials announced in San Francisco. Called OS X 10.9 Mavericks, the software will be available for download through Apple's Mac App Store and will ...

I Wanted To Restore Islanders To Glory � CBS New York

John Spano had a stunning rise to fame back in 1996 when he swooped in out of nowhere to try to buy the financially troubled New York Islanders. However, his fall from grace was even more spectacular, as chronicled in the ESPN 30 for 30 series film ...

Liverpool defender Andre Wisdom set to join Derby County for the rest of the season

Steve McClaren has wanted to bring in a new defender since becoming head coach at the Sky Bet Championship club at the beginning of this month and the former England manager made an approach for the versatile Wisdom, who can play at both ...

These Northern Kentucky high schools have the highest SAT scores

According to the Princeton Review, the national average score for the new SAT is 1500. The latest data from the Kentucky Department of Education shows 11 of 19 Northern Kentucky public high schools beat that number for 2013. To see the public high ...

James Taylor started signing America the Beautiful before National Anthem

Oct 24, 2013; Boston, MA, USA; Recording artist James Taylor sings the National Anthem prior to game two of the MLB baseball World Series against the St. Louis Cardinals at Fenway Park. Mandatory Credit: Greg M. Cooper-USA TODAY Sports. I'm not ...

College costs rising a bit less, College Board says

That's a 2.9 percent increase - the smallest one-year increase in more than 30 years, the College Board said Wednesday in its annual report on college prices. Out-of-state prices, as well as the costs to attend public two-year colleges and private ...

Doha Fest Relaunches With Family-Friendly Programming

The inaugural Ajyal Youth Film Festival, presented by Doha Film Institute, is out with the old and in with the new and child-friendly. Skedded from Nov. 26-30, the festival, which DFI execs hope will rise like a family-friendly phoenix from the ashes ...

Edawn The Esoteric

You may have seen Edawn on our recent edition of Heatseekers, but if not, we're introducing you to the talented singer with her song "Partial." In the singer's own words, "'Partial' was originally a poem I wrote. Partial is sensual novelty. This track ...

Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop Review

Microsoft endeavoured to combat the physical effects of sitting in an unnatural position all day, and after two years, the design team came up with the Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop: a keyboard-and-mouse combo that positions your hands to alleviate pressure ...

Face Common SAT Fears of International Students

Many friends in my SAT preparation class used to say that they could get sick just looking at the long reading sections. Be prepared and don't be surprised if you have to read about the daily life of polar bears at the North Pole, bird migration, a ...

Shovels & Rope-s Punk-Rock, Incidental Spirituality

As a writer who covers predominately alt-country, Americana, and folk music, I say to my shame that I didn't know who Shovels & Rope were until they won Best Song and Best Upcoming Artist last month at the 2013 Americana Awards. Maybe you don't either, ...

New Ilchi Lee Book Inspires Personal Growth in 'Change

New York Times Bestselling author and meditation expert, Ilchi Lee, is marking this time of seasonal change with the launch of a new book. October 1, 2013, will begin with the official release of Change: Realizing Your Greatest Potential. Change was ...

Library reaps good will with Fall Fest

Library reaps good will with Fall Fest. Story · Comments · Image (3). Print: Create a hardcopy of this page; Font Size: Default font size: Larger font size. Previous Next. Fall Fest at the library. At the Clarksburg-Harrison Public Library's Fall Fest ...

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Oxelon Newsletter.
0.gif
9.gif
logo.gif
1.gif