Experimenting failed

Richard Jones

Jan 6, 2009, 12:46:35 AM1/6/09
to Owyl-discuss
I tried two approaches to play with owyl. First, because I am afeared
of installing eggs I tried the buildout:

rjones@l-rjones /tmp/owyl-0.2.1$ python bootstrap.py
Creating directory '/tmp/owyl-0.2.1/bin'.
Creating directory '/tmp/owyl-0.2.1/parts'.
Creating directory '/tmp/owyl-0.2.1/eggs'.
Creating directory '/tmp/owyl-0.2.1/develop-eggs'.
Generated script '/tmp/owyl-0.2.1/bin/buildout'.
rjones@l-rjones /tmp/owyl-0.2.1$ ./bin/buildout
Getting distribution for 'setuptools'.
Got setuptools 0.6c9.
Upgraded:
setuptools version 0.6c9;
restarting.
Generated script '/tmp/owyl-0.2.1/bin/buildout'.
Develop: '/tmp/owyl-0.2.1/.'
Getting distribution for 'zc.recipe.egg'.
Got zc.recipe.egg 1.1.0.
Installing python-local.
Getting distribution for 'nose'.
zip_safe flag not set; analyzing archive contents...
nose.suite: module references __path__
nose.loader: module references __path__
nose.util: module references __file__
nose.importer: module references __file__
nose.importer: module references __path__
nose.inspector: module MAY be using inspect.findsource
nose.plugins.cover: module references __file__
nose.plugins.doctests: module references __file__
nose.ext.dtcompat: module references __file__
nose.ext.dtcompat: module MAY be using inspect.getsourcefile
Got nose 0.10.4.
Getting distribution for 'ipython'.
Got ipython 0.9.1.
Getting distribution for 'pyflakes'.
While:
Installing python-local.
Getting distribution for 'pyflakes'.
Error: Can't download http://www.divmod.org/static/projects/pyflakes/pyflakes-0.2.1.tar.gz:
404 Not Found

So failing that I (sighed and) ran "sudo python setup.py install"
which fortunately didn't install a pyglet egg (I'd just have had to
remove it). It did install egenix-mx-base though. This allowed me to:

rjones@l-rjones /tmp/owyl-0.2.1$ nosetests
Ran 10 tests in 0.036s

OK

But at that point I was stuck.The tests are a bit too artificial to
guage how the API might be used in a real application. There's no
docs, and:

rjones@l-rjones /tmp/owyl-0.2.1$ pydoc owyl
no Python documentation found for 'owyl'

... so I'm a little lost. Perhaps there could be a trivial example of
what owyl is all about in the source? I had a gander at
http://aigamedev.com/hierarchical-logic but there's a *lot* there :)

Richard

David Eyk

Jan 6, 2009, 1:00:58 AM1/6/09
to Owyl-discuss
Richard,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sorry for the packaging hiccups--I'm
still getting used to distribution, and I don't yet have another
environment to test in. I'll see what I can do to improve the
experience in 0.2.2. (I'm removing the dependency on mx.Stack, for
instance.)

You'll find API docs at <http://worlds.eykd.net/owyl/api/>. I'm not
entirely sure why the pydoc didn't work--I'm using epydoc to build the
docs. You're definitely right about the need for better examples (it's
in TODO, for what it's worth). The tests provide the basics for how to
build a tree, how to visit it, and how to use the basic structural
building blocks (sequence, selector, and parallel). I'll see about
developing some examples for an upcoming release.

The framework also needs a few more building blocks to be truly
complete. (Again, in the TODO, if you're curious.) These are next on
my agenda, after ironing out the buildout blues.

Thanks for checking out Owyl. I hope this hasn't soured you to the
concept. Many improvements are in the works.

David