join us @ City Council -call out mayor Parker her MayDay subversion

Maria Selva

Apr 29, 2013, 2:02:46 PM4/29/13
to Green Discussion, codepin...@lists.riseup.net, OH Outreach, OH list, OWS-H
Dee and I will be going to City Council tomorrow at 1:30 to call out Mayor Parker on her inverting the meaning of May Day (Int'l Worker Day) and making it instead a lovefest for corporations.  It is being sponsored by Homeland Security, which takes away our civil liberties like protesting under the excuse of 'crisis'.

Now city of Houston & Homeland Security have joined forces to make you focus on "Emergency Preparedness' on May 1st.  So they are turning the msg of May1st on its head, and doing it with gov't $.

SHAME ON PARKER.  join us tomorrow to call her out on it at City Council.
To speak you have to
*call 832 393 1100
*give your name addy ph & topic
*tell them topic= May Day Houston
* ask for 2 min so you can go first
* be there no later than 2pm

City Council mtg starts at 1:30 Tue, and 2 min speakers start immediately when they are done.
If you can only go to one of the various May Day events I posted earlier, pls make it this one since it goes to Mayor Parker more directly.

hope to see you there,
Maria Selva

previous email:
We need you to protest May 1st & 4th

City of Houston & Homeland Security are stealing May 1st, Int'l Worker's Day and making it into a lovefest for the Chamber of Commerce.

A truly remarkable example of how to steal the power and the message from the people...

City of Houston & Homeland Security are subverting Int'l Worker's Day & hyping it as 'Emergency Preparedness Day ' & focusing on corporate sponsors like Walmart, who are praised for giving $3 million for Fight Hunger (& you are directed to go on FB to 'vote' for Walmart)

so...one of the world's worst employers is *praised* on Int'l Worker's Day!!!

This website is funded by the US Department of Homeland Security grants program and is produced by the City of Houston Mayor's Office of Public Safety and Homeland Security.
see http://www.readyhoustontx.gov/maydayhouston/maydaypledge.html (bottom left side for sponsorship)

There is a vigil on May 1st and a march on May 4th.  We would like to call attention on the hypocrisy of Walmart and the underhanded maneuver of the City of Houston & Homeland Security in attempting this stunt.

Pls do 3 things
1) attend one or both date (more info on exactly where & the time for 5/1 & 5/4 coming soon)
2) go online to the website http://www.readyhoustontx.gov/maydayhouston/maydaypledge.html which has the only space for you to comment--tell them what hypocrites they are & then do FB, Twitter to call them out publicly on this BS stunt
3) spread the word to get others to attend the vigil 5/1 & march 5/4, and to call them out on social media.

thanks,
more info on exact times of vigil & march coming

Maria

Maria Selva

May 1, 2013, 1:59:17 PM5/1/13
to Green Discussion, codepin...@lists.riseup.net, OH Outreach, OH list, OWS-H

trying to spread the word over what City of Houston has done to manipulate the idea of MayDay, Int'l Worker Day.

Are they focusing on workers, living wage, wage theft, lack of healthcare?!
NO, they are throwing a party for Walmart and other abusive employers where we are asked to praise them cause they throw a few crumbs to us (while paying women less, having abusive work schedules, no benefits and ...ohh yes, helping Bangladeshi workers be squashed to death at their jobs --around 400 this time when their building collapsed)

AND we are also to thank Homeland Security, who are there to surveille 'terrorist' protestors who march for the 99%, healthcare, living wage,  corporations paying their taxes, etc

Pls call out City of Houston for their BS;  making  May 1st, now Emergency Preparedness Day.
Any crisis enables squashing our civil liberties under the premise of 'security' and the 'new' MayDay is co-sponosred by Homeland Security!  BTW, HLS is *not* know for helping during natural disasters, just for labelling protestors as 'terrorists'

Pls twitter storm under hashtag #BogusMayDay

Maria Selva

May 1, 2013, 2:04:11 PM5/1/13
to Green Discussion, codepin...@lists.riseup.net, OH Outreach, OH list, OWS-H
2nd try--1st one was rejected for no apparent reason....hmmm, too many references to Homeland Security?

From: selv...@hotmail.com
To: 770dis...@txgreens.org; codepin...@lists.riseup.net; occupyhous...@lists.riseup.net; occupy...@lists.riseup.net; ows...@googlegroups.com
Subject: pls help make twitterStorm, #BogusMAYDAY
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 17:59:17 +0000

Maria Selva

May 1, 2013, 2:08:23 PM5/1/13
to OH Outreach, OH list, OWS-H

3rd try try--1st two were rejected for no apparent reason....hmmm, too many references to Homeland Security?

Maria Selva

May 1, 2013, 4:21:55 PM5/1/13
to Green Discussion, codepin...@lists.riseup.net, OH Outreach, OH list, OWS-H
I have a tentative time for tomorrow, Thu 10 am at ch45, Univision, to discuss their climate denier weatherguy making a statement on the air about global warming being in doubt cause we had a 59 degree high last week.

Anyone who wants to join me, pls let me know.
Mtg at ch 45 office, 5100 Southwest Freeway Houston, TX 77056

Maria Selva

May 1, 2013, 7:18:31 PM5/1/13
to Green Discussion, codepin...@lists.riseup.net, OH Outreach, OH list, OWS-H
time was tentative, it's confirmed 10am tomorrow, Thu at ch 45
5100 Southwest Freeway
Houston, TX 77056

If you wanna go, look at map.  entrance is on side street & easier to access by going west on Richmon off of 610 west, then turn left on McCue.

Let me know if you can make it, pls spread the word.
Maria Selva
281 546 5939

Subject: ch 45 mtg tomorrow, Thu 10am
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 20:21:55 +0000

Maria Selva

May 2, 2013, 3:51:56 PM5/2/13
to Green Discussion, codepin...@lists.riseup.net, OH Outreach, OH list, OWS-H
had meeting at ch 45.  We were well received and were invited to submit stories to them--but we basically have to do their work for them:
cite the issue
summarize why it is important and who it impacts
the info being left out, or the misinformation
line up people to interview that they can call on--either ppl being hit hard by it or experts to comment
and...you have to do this while keeping a 'sound bite' mentality. They didn't say this, but that's the reality.

so, you can either do all the above yourself, or you can send us ideas on what aspects of climate change are not being covered, or not being attribute to climate change.

Right now I would like to know of various Spanish speaking experts-even if abroad--that could be interviewed.  If overseas, then by phone.  Need to cover why we know that global warming is happening, is human caused and/or how we know the deniers are 100% speaking for their corporate masters--even if it's via a hidden game of shell think tanks which are then funded by oil & gas

your thoughts,
Maria Selva