URGENT: Obama's Trade Rep Paving Way for KXL

Maria Selva

Sep 26, 2013, 2:10:07 PM9/26/13
to (occupyhoustonoutreach@lists.riseup.net), (owshops@googlegroups.com), codepin...@lists.riseup.net

bad news on Keystone/ Tar Sands development, see below.
pls sign & spread the news so others can sign.
Maria Selva

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 16:15:31 -0400
From: in...@priceofoil.org
To: selv...@hotmail.com
Subject: URGENT: Obama's Trade Rep Paving Way for KXL

Oil Change International
Dear friends,

It's not news to anyone that sometimes the government's right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. But we've just found out that parts of the Obama Administration are actively preparing for a Keystone XL approval, and we just can't ignore that.

Michael Froman, the US Trade Representative in charge of negotiating a variety of secretive "free trade" agreements, is apparently siding with Big Oil in demanding that Europe weaken its climate laws.  We have to stop him.

His reasoning?  Unless Europe weakens its climate laws, US diesel exports, which will contain tarsands, will be less competitive.

As you know, we've been saying for years that the purpose of the Keystone XL is to bring dirty tar sands oil to the Gulf Coast, where it will be primarily refined into diesel for export.1

Put simply, what they're doing is making sure that Keystone XL's dirty fuel can be sold in Europe. There are two quick things we need your help with, to be sure the world knows what's going on, and that the administration knows we won't accept it.
1) Take two minutes to join us in telling Michael Froman, President Obama's Trade Representative, that we expect him to support Europe's efforts to reduce greenhouse gases by restricting the dirtiest oil.

2) If you have a Twitter account, join us in raising some noise directly at the US Trade Representative's twitter account (@USTradeRep). We've drafted a tweet targeted at this account -- click here to tweet it with us.

Just a few months ago, President Obama, rightly equated our national interest with reducing carbon emissions that cause climate change.  It makes no sense to pressure Europe to weaken their own laws - in fact the US should be helping Europe and other countries to strengthen these commitments.

Thanks so much for taking a few moments to do this today.

Peace,
Steve

1 See our first report on Keystone XL and exports here.

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Donate now

Oil Change International campaigns to expose the true costs of fossil fuels and facilitate the coming transition towards clean energy. We are dedicated to identifying and overcoming barriers to that transition.
We are a 501c3 organization and all donations are fully tax deductible.
Check out our blog at PriceOfOil.org and find out how much oil and coal money your Representatives take at DirtyEnergyMoney.com.
If you want to be removed from our list entirely, click here to unsubscribe.
empowered by Salsa