URGENT: Reject the Monsanto Protection Act

M S

Mar 15, 2013, 5:47:28 PM3/15/13
to me, Green Discussion, codepin...@lists.riseup.net

It's called the "Monsanto Protection Act" which would Trump the U.S. Government
FDA & Federal courts would be powerless to regulate the sale and even cultivation of illegal and dangerous GMO crops....
http://www.nationofchange.org/new-monsanto-protection-act-gives-monsanto-power-over-us-government-1363360056
petition below & also at: http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/sign/stop_the_monsanto_protection_act_today_senate

Maria Selva

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 13:12:08 -0400
From: in...@justlabelit.org
To: selv...@hotmail.com
Subject: URGENT: Tell your Senator to reject the biotech rider!

Just Label It

Big chemical companies are attacking your right to know.

Don't let them pass a law to expand the use of GE crops without a safety review.

Contact your Senators TODAY!

Maria,

They're at it again, and we need you to take action right now.

The biotech industry has quietly inserted a dangerous policy rider into the Continuing Resolution (CR), now being debated on the Senate floor - and could be voted on as early as tomorrow morning. Though wrapped in misleading "farmer-friendly" language, this provision is simply an industry ploy.

We have a right to know about our food, and our federal agencies need to do a thorough job evaluating genetically engineered (GE) crops and GE foods, before they are introduced into our homes.  Rushing the approval of GE crops before full evaluations endangers our families.

Luckily, Senator Jon Tester (D-MT) has introduced an amendment to strike down this dangerous rider, along with Senator Boxer, Gillibrand and Leahy.  The senate will vote tomorrow, so you must take action TODAY.

Tell your Senators to support the Tester amendment (#74) before tomorrow's vote and eliminate the dangerous biotech rider!

This rider would negate any meaningful judicial review of the USDA’s decisions to allow planting of GE crops.  If a review of a GE crop failed to comply with the law, and required further analysis, this provision would override a court-mandated review and allow continued planting before further USDA review took place.

Bottom line? This proposal will reduce the oversight of genetically engineered foods, and allow powerful interests to interfere with our right to know about our food.

TAKE ACTION NOW: Urge your Senators to support the Tester amendment (#74) in tomorrow's cote and eliminate the dangerous biotech rider!

You care about food and what we feed our families and children. You've stood up for labeling. So please, help fight this attack on our right to know. Don't let the chemical industry create loopholes that will expand the use of genetically engineered crops without proper safety review.

Thank you for your continued support.

Sincerely,

Katey Parker
Partnership and Media Manager
Just Label It

We're building a movement of concerned citizens – parents, health care workers, small business owners, farmers, and more – who care about what's in the food we eat.

In October 2011, the Just Label It campaign was formed when the Center for Food Safety filed a petition with the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) to require the labeling of all foods produced using genetic engineering. Days later, we asked citizens from around the country to join us and tell the FDA to "Just Label It." More than 1.2 million Americans have contacted to the FDA urging them to label genetically engineered foods. Ask others to sign on at www.JustLabelIt.org/takeaction.

Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | Learn more at www.JustLabelIt.org

empowered by Salsa