Wiki Meeting Tonight! (please forward widely!)

felipe ribeiro

Nov 2, 2011, 9:32:07 AM11/2/11
to ows_so...@freenetworkfoundation.org, ows-digita...@googlegroups.com, internet working group, de...@sarapisfoundation.org, yifu...@bitsyn.com, to...@ows-online.com, is...@freenetworkmovement.org, da...@glocalwebtech.com, ravi...@mac.com, feli...@gmail.com
All,
Should we fork the wiki group list from the FLO, IWG & digital strategy lists? It's a balancing act between inclusiveness vs spamming people who aren't interested. I think it might make sense to split, but I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this? On the other hand, if anyone knows people from Interoccupation, Outreach, or ANY OTHER WG/List, please Forward!!! We need to get a sense of how folks would use the wiki/what their real use cases would be.

Folks interested in setting up a movement-wide wiki are meeting TONIGHT, @ 29 Broadway at 6:30pm.  [note: if there is some kind of problem with the location at the last minute, email devin @ devinb...@gmail.com or felipe @ feli...@gmail.com]

So far confirmed are the following peeps, most of whom can make it tonight (the more the merrier!):

--Devin
--Yifu
--Todd
--Isaac
--Dana
--Ravi
--Felipe

One question:

Does anyone have experience with or knowledge about semantic wikis?

In the course of searching for a good WYSIWYG plugin for Media Wiki (for now, the current default platform solution until we have an argument for another platform), I found a really interesting Semantic wiki extension. From what I understand, it allows us to create forms/templates, guiding data entry. Then, users can  create a custom sort/query on the data, not unlike a spreadsheet.

I see this as great depending on how the data is entered, allowing people to find data from the same working groups, across locations. Would speed up the learning process, cut down on redundancy, etc. I wrote about it at length, excerpted below, here: http://weoccupy.in/2011/10/meta/media-wiki-part-1/

but first, here's the online demo; I'm trying to get it installed on a test wiki on my own server, but my programmer skillz are..., rather, they simply aren't :-)

demo:

Excerpt describing a possible wiki for the entire OWS movement: (full article at the above weoccupy.in URL)

So, for instance the wiki page for OccupyChicago would have landing pages with links to each of the following sections and subsections, all generated via templates in the wiki, so each occupation could simply plug in and fill in their assets, projects, and goals/strategies (the following labels in quotes are NOT meant as final taxonomies, merely illustrative examples):

Working Group Assets:

“[Working Group Name] Online Tools” (any relevant workspaces/wikis/websites for collaborative work)

“[Working Group Name] Discussions Archives” (links to previous conversations in the form of archived forums/lists)

“[Working Group Name] Offline Resources” (Local supportive organizations, allies, spaces, sources for supplies or other support)

“[Working Group Name] Member Profiles” (links to individual occupiers websites, twitter, RSS feeds, etc

“[Working Group Name] News/Tags” (links to location specific and/or group-specific RSS feeds, Twitter streams, specific hashtags used to post content, specific stories that the group as a whole should be aware of – ie instances of sabotage, hacking, impersonation, or any malfeasance of any kind, coming from either within the movement or from the outside.

Project/Action-Related Content:

“[Working Group Name] Already Implemented Suggestions” (Working group specific, self explanatory)

“[Working Group Name] Specific Projects Underway” (Working group specific, self explanatory)

“[Working Group Name] Discarded Proposals” (Working group specific, self explanatory)

“[Working Group Name] Proposed Projects” (Working group specific, self explanatory)

“[Working Group Name] Urgently Needed” (Working group specific, self explanatory)

“[Working Group Name] I am Offering” (Working group specific, self explanatory)

Strategy/Objectives Related Content:

“[Working Group Name] Abstract Arguments/Ideas for Moving Forward”

“[Working Group Name] Debates/Unresolved Issues”

“[Working Group Name] Consensus Agreed Upon Short Term Objectives” (CAUSTO?) (Working group specific, self explanatory)

“[Working Group Name] Consensus Agreed Upon Medium Term Objectives” (CAUMTO?) (Working group specific, self explanatory)

“[Working Group Name] Consensus Agreed Upon Long Term Objectives” (CAULTO?) (Working group specific, self explanatory)

See y'all tonight!
Felipe