OWASP blog on GSCO

johanna curiel curiel

Sep 24, 2016, 11:18:48 AM9/24/16
to OWASP ZSC
Hello everyone,

Claudia, OWASP project coordinator requested to every project , a piece of text regarding  the progress made during the Gsoc. I have submitted this text, please let me know if you would like to add something more to it. The goal is to promote our contributors ;-)

ZSC: OWASP ShellCoder (ZSC)

Student Name: Pratik Patel

This Gsoc, we were very happy that Pratik submitted an excellent proposal to work for the OWASP Shellcoder. Pratrik is a student of the CMR Institute Of Technology in India, and has been contributing to OWASP ZSC months before the Gsoc begon. OWASP ZSC is an open source software in python language which lets you generate customized shellcodes and convert scripts to an obfuscated script. This software can be run on Windows/Linux/OSX under python.

Pratik mission’s was to create a shellcoder module for Windows that was able to use different encodes. The project had already an excellent and stable module to create and generate shellcodes for Linux, but not for any other operating system. His challenges were not simple to solve, however, Pratik was able to achieve this and more with the support of OWASP ZSC team and mentors, including writing many other obfuscation modules which are now part of ZSC.

Unfortunately, OWASP only received 6 slots and this was a very hard decision to make with regards the selection of students, therefore we also want to thank other student, Akash Trehan that participated as contributor and was able to built a shellcoder for OSX. Many proposals were excellent including Akash’s, but we only could choose one. We still feel lucky that we were able to get at least 1 slot and make such an excellent progress this year including having students such as Akash that made major contributions during this Gsoc.

Thanks to their work  ,OWASP ZSC was been selected to participate at DEFCON 24 Labs and Blackhat Arsenal EU 2016.

You can read more about Pratik’s work on his blog here:http://pratikpatelp.blogspot.com/ and about the his work submission here:http://pratikpatelp.blogspot.com/2016/08/gsoc-work-submission.html

cheers

Johanna

Ali Razmjoo

Sep 24, 2016, 6:26:38 PM9/24/16
to johanna curiel curiel, OWASP ZSC

Hi johanna

Please mention that both of our friends, pratik and akash also contributed some obfuscating scripts too.

Could we add mentor name in this description too?