Update on the Browser Security Track

John Wilander

Jan 11, 2011, 7:15:00 AM1/11/11
to owasp-su...@lists.owasp.org, owasp-summi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Summit Heroes and BrowserSec Working Group!

In case you haven't heard, here are the updates on the Browser Security Track:
  • New HTML5 session co-chaired by Mario Heiderich (in my book you're no 1 in the world on this subject ;) and Gareth Heyes.
  • New EcmaScript 5 session. Mario will hopefully co-chair this one with Juriy Zaytsev (invited) and/or Mike Samuels (invited).
  • Jeff Hodges, PayPal has joined. I'm very happy about this since he's the original author of the HSTS spec (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hodges-strict-transport-sec-02, draft expires tomorrow) and a representative of one of the major web apps out there. He will provide his attendee info to me and I'll send it along to Sarah.
  • Opera got their fourth invitation today. I'm reaching out to people I know in Norway to see if they can help.
  • Facebook got their second invitation yesterday and Jim Manico is helping me out there.
  • We still lack connections with Apple's Safari team. Any help would be highly appreciated!
  • I would also like help on inviting Twitter and Yahoo. Douglas Crockford from Yahoo regretted he couldn't make it but I think Yahoo have their YUI team in Barcelona so we should be able to get them over easily.
Check out the track info here:

   Regards, John

--
John Wilander, https://twitter.com/johnwilander
Chapter co-leader OWASP Sweden, http://owaspsweden.blogspot.com

John Wilander

Jan 11, 2011, 7:28:59 AM1/11/11
to Jim Manico, owasp-su...@lists.owasp.org, owasp-summi...@googlegroups.com
2011/1/11 Jim Manico <jim.m...@owasp.org>
Approach the webkit security team - much easier to approach and
communicate with. http://webkit.org/security/security-group-members.html

Will do immediately. Thanks!

The best way to get a-hold of the twitter security team - is via twitter. :)

Doh. OK, I'll poke around and get some messages sent.

This is absolutely necessary and awesome work, JohnWilander++

PS: Yes, I just incremented you, John. :)

And returned the good old John back again. Just like C++ :).

   /John

Mario Heiderich

Jan 11, 2011, 9:12:41 AM1/11/11
to owasp-summi...@googlegroups.com, Jim Manico, owasp-su...@lists.owasp.org, John Adams
Hey guys. I just CC'd John Adams from Twitter security - hope that's alright for all sides and helps.

Cheers,
.mario

@JohnAdams Still no update on my T-Shirt? ;)
--
_________________________
php-ids.org | @0x6D6172696F

dinis cruz

Jan 11, 2011, 11:29:08 AM1/11/11
to owasp-summi...@googlegroups.com, Robert Hansen
Hey Robert, now that you are confirmed to go to the Summit, here is a good thread to start getting your head around what is going on.

Can somebody do a quick briefing to Robert on:
  • where we currently are with this Track and Working Sessions
  • what needs to be done
  • and more importantly, WHO should be at the Summit for these Working sessions, and that is currently NOT going (like some of the missing browsers) or is yet to be invited (maybe Robert can help)
In terms of the unconfirmed Summit Attendees (i.e. http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Summit_2011_Attendee#Unconfirmed_Summit_Attendees) what is the deal with Ashkan Soltani , Ian Fette?

Can they go to the Summit if there are funds to cover their costs?

Dinis Cruz

John Wilander

Jan 12, 2011, 8:52:19 AM1/12/11
2011/1/11 dinis cruz <dinis...@owasp.org>

Hey Robert, now that you are confirmed to go to the Summit, here is a good thread to start getting your head around what is going on.

Can somebody do a quick briefing to Robert on:
  • where we currently are with this Track and Working Sessions
  • what needs to be done
  • and more importantly, WHO should be at the Summit for these Working sessions, and that is currently NOT going (like some of the missing browsers) or is yet to be invited (maybe Robert can help)
Robert and I have been in contact, so whenever or whatever, R. Just shoot. Ideas, questions, suggestions.

We are currently hunting Safari, Opera, Twitter, and Salesforce to send representatives and engaged people. Facebook are responding so there's an established contact there.
In terms of the unconfirmed Summit Attendees (i.e. http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Summit_2011_Attendee#Unconfirmed_Summit_Attendees) what is the deal with Ashkan Soltani , Ian Fette?

I'm guessing Ian has been busy with being the sole author of ...
... which was released yesterday.

I've emailed him a few times lately but no replies. Maybe Jasvir knows? I think he's coming and that Google covers his travel and ticket though. Busy people, that's all.

   /J

John Wilander

Jan 12, 2011, 10:38:13 AM1/12/11
to owasp-summi...@googlegroups.com, Robert Hansen
Relaying Robert's email since he wasn't in the group yet. See below for an interesting list of further browser sec topics.

Robert: You should have a group invite in your inbox.

Jan 12, 2011, 10:45:46 AM1/12/11
to owasp-summi...@googlegroups.com, Robert Hansen
The way the final Working Sessions schedule will be created is that we will give the big rooms to the Working Sessions that have more attendees (the less popular can occur on smaller locations at either a set-time or at a more organic set-up (i.e. when all interested parties happen to be at the same place holding a beer :) )).

We still have not figured out the best way for attendees to vote (i.e. select) which working sessions they want to go, BUT, I would recommend that some of Robert's ideas are made into Working Sessions, since some of them (lets say the CSRF one) have much wider interest (and could attract a good crowd)

Dinis Cruz

John Wilander

Jan 12, 2011, 10:50:35 AM1/12/11
to owasp-summi...@googlegroups.com, Robert Hansen
Yeah, and nobody needs to feel that the Browser Sec session "own" its topics. If any of you want to do 48 hours of say EcmaScript 5 security and think at least a handful would join you then we can create a stand-alone session.

That said, we can also use the Browser Sec session as a focal point and do break-out sessions if some of the attendees need to go beyond what is scheduled.

   /J

dinis cruz

Jan 12, 2011, 10:56:14 AM1/12/11
to owasp-summi...@googlegroups.com, Robert Hansen
Hey Portugal has really good coffee and the beer is good too,

... we can keep you guys going :)

... if you can hold an EcmaScript 5 security codeathon, there will be place for it :)

Dinis Cruz

Mario Heiderich

Jan 12, 2011, 12:36:55 PM1/12/11
to owasp-summi...@googlegroups.com
Do you guys still need a sec contact at Opera? I have some (which might not be too surprising :P)

Let me know!
.mario

John Wilander

Jan 12, 2011, 3:03:01 PM1/12/11
to owasp-summi...@googlegroups.com, owasp-summi...@googlegroups.com
Send them over or email them cc:ing me. Thanks!

/John

Sent from my iPad

Mario Heiderich

Jan 12, 2011, 3:37:57 PM1/12/11
to owasp-summi...@googlegroups.com
You can address Sigbjørn Vik - sigb...@opera.com - he should be
responding quite quickly. If that doesn't work let me know plz :)

Cheers,
.mario