Re: FW: Dev Outreach: Where do we go from here?

Rohit Sethi

Apr 5, 2011, 9:53:03 PM4/5/11
to owasp-dev-out...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Sorry for the slow reply on this.  We're still trying to figure out the best way to meet the need that Jacob Kaplan-Moss from Django articulated. I just sent him a message summarizing our current thinking - I'll report back to this group when I hear back from him.

In the interim we've started some work on adding additional security measures to Django's contrib.auth authentication framework as a third party plugin as well as other security enhancements. We hope to deploy this within the next month or so as part of a separate Django Security project. If the code proves popular, we can use that as reason to try and push some of the features into out-of-the-box Django.

I now fundamentally believe the best way to improve the security of open source frameworks / libraries is to just contribute to them. I was thinking that trying to start a campaign of asking individuals to submit one security patch / feature to the framework of their choice might be a good way to foster real change and build up momentum. I tried to propose something similar on the Java project but didn't really get anywhere: https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/java-project/2011-March/000332.html

What do you think? Is this doable, or are we asking for too much of a time commitment?

Apr 7, 2011, 9:11:07 AM4/7/11
to owasp-dev-out...@googlegroups.com
Anyone?

John Wilander

Apr 7, 2011, 3:17:26 PM4/7/11
to owasp-dev-out...@googlegroups.com, Rohit Sethi
So, how about a tab each for the active engagements we have in frameworks today. On each tab we get to enter names, contact info, and how we're working with them.

The best idea from the initial outreach was in my opinion the frameworks vs security features matrix. Imagine ...

_____________ Django | Struts 2 | Spring MVC | .NET MVC | Drupal
Injection
XSS
Sessions
Auth
Dir traversal
CSRF

... and then links in the cells. That would be awesome, don't you think?

   Regards, John

2011/4/7 Rohit Sethi <rkl...@gmail.com>

--
John Wilander, https://twitter.com/johnwilander
Chapter co-leader OWASP Sweden, http://owaspsweden.blogspot.com

Jim Manico

Apr 7, 2011, 3:58:07 PM4/7/11
to owasp-dev-out...@googlegroups.com, owasp-dev-out...@googlegroups.com, Rohit Sethi
Most important: Use THEIR bug tracking system and work 100% within the developers world. And please try not to make fun of devs who may write insecure code. ;)

-Jim Manico

Rohit Sethi

Apr 7, 2011, 5:40:06 PM4/7/11
to John Wilander, owasp-dev-out...@googlegroups.com
I think this is a good approach, however I'm not clear what links
would be in the cells?

Also, I think one mistake from the manifesto project was to restrict
to "frameworks" when really there are many open source libraries that
have a major impact on web application security besides standard MVC
frameworks. For scoping reasons it may make sense to start with MVC
but we shouldn't stop there.

--
Sent from my mobile device