Composing business networks on Hyperledger

Tim Sandgren

Jul 2, 2017, 5:49:49 AM7/2/17
to Open Value Networks Infrastructure
Just heard from Dante that hyperledger has a new tool for modelling business networks. The tool is called "composer" which is very nice considering the music metaphore we develop for the OVN infrastructure here.

Seems to be an interesting frontier indeed!

Tiberius Brastaviceanu

Jul 2, 2017, 9:59:34 PM7/2/17
to Tim Sandgren, Open Value Networks Infrastructure
Thanks for sharing.

It's cool, there is a lot of development around. That means that we are not going to start from scratchet and absorb all the risks.

--
This discussion is OPEN to the public.
This group is about "value network" infrastructure development.

Jim Anastassiou

Jul 2, 2017, 11:47:52 PM7/2/17
to Tiberius Brastaviceanu, Tim Sandgren, Open Value Networks Infrastructure
Hey Tim, great you found that tool, coincidence I was just testing it a few days ago. I'm a member of the Hyperledger project (as an individual, soon to be business member). Have you been following or used any of the other projects? I've been using Burrow (former eris/monax) for over a year religiously and Fabric a bit as well. Its been awesome to see some of these great projects get incubated into Hyperledger. Development has really increased since!

On Jul 2, 2017 5:49 AM, "Tim Sandgren" <tim.sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just heard from Dante that hyperledger has a new tool for modelling business networks. The tool is called "composer" which is very nice considering the music metaphore we develop for the OVN infrastructure here.

Seems to be an interesting frontier indeed!

--
This discussion is OPEN to the public.
This group is about "value network" infrastructure development.
---

This discussion is OPEN to the public.
This group is about "value network" infrastructure development.
---

Jim Anastassiou
President
Blocksense coop - blocksense.io
Blockchain application consultant

Dante-Gabryell Monson

Jul 3, 2017, 9:13:03 AM7/3/17
to Jim Anastassiou, Tiberius Brastaviceanu, Tim Sandgren, Open Value Networks Infrastructure
Burrow sounds interesting.  Copying it below.
Thanks for bringing it forward Jim.

Exciting to see these various developments making usage of the blockchain, under hyperledger.

I am not a coder, but would be glad to contribute to experimenting with these kinds of tools,
and, Jim and/or others, curious about your experience with it, as it unfolds.

///

https://monax.io/platform/db/

https://github.com/hyperledger/burrow

Hyperledger Burrow is a permissioned Ethereum smart-contract blockchain node built with <3 by Monax. It executes Ethereum smart contract code on a permissioned virtual machine. Burrow provides transaction finality and high transaction throughput on a proof-of-stake Tendermint consensus engine. For smart contract development most functionality is provided by monax chains, exposed through monax, the entry point for the Monax Platform.

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 5:47 AM, Jim Anastassiou <jim.ana...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Tim, great you found that tool, coincidence I was just testing it a few days ago. I'm a member of the Hyperledger project (as an individual, soon to be business member). Have you been following or used any of the other projects? I've been using Burrow (former eris/monax) for over a year religiously and Fabric a bit as well. Its been awesome to see some of these great projects get incubated into Hyperledger. Development has really increased since!
--

Jim Anastassiou
President
Blocksense coop - blocksense.io
Blockchain application consultant

Jim Anastassiou

Jul 3, 2017, 11:10:17 AM7/3/17
to Dante-Gabryell Monson, Tiberius Brastaviceanu, Tim Sandgren, Open Value Networks Infrastructure
Hey Dante. Yeah Monax(eris) was first to market with a permissioned blockchain stack. Met the team in NY a few weeks ago, really great bunch of guys. If you use twitter, you should follow @prestonjbyrne to get a feel of what they are up against from the cryptocurrency end of the spectrum. And watch out for marmots ;)

Tim Sandgren

Jul 3, 2017, 12:55:23 PM7/3/17
to Jim Anastassiou, Dante-Gabryell Monson, Tiberius Brastaviceanu, Open Value Networks Infrastructure
No. I have not looked that closely at hyperledger at all to tell you the honest truth. Cool that you are in that network Jim.

As I come into this field more from the angle of sociology and social psychology I am not that super informed on the tech side. Would be nice if you would describe hyperledger in a few lines. Is it like a blockchain of blockchains - I mean so that you can create one database that contains several databases?

There are some really nice tools in sociology for mapping social networks. Do you guys know if such tools are used somewhere? I meet very few sociologists who are into this field which is a bit strange since P2P is a lot about these human-human interactions?

Tim

Jim Anastassiou

Jul 3, 2017, 3:24:55 PM7/3/17
to Tim Sandgren, Dante-Gabryell Monson, Tiberius Brastaviceanu, Open Value Networks Infrastructure
Hyperledger is an open source project hosted by the Linux Foundation. It's a collaborative effort to advance cross industry blockchain and distributed ledger technology. In a nutshell, database replication with computation baked into the protocol that allows you to build business trust networks. There are multiple blockchain stacks and tools that are part of the project. Nothing to do with public blockchains or crypto-economics, although there are projects to link the two through protocols instead of middleware.

Tim Sandgren

Jul 4, 2017, 11:20:50 AM7/4/17
to Jim Anastassiou, Dante-Gabryell Monson, Tiberius Brastaviceanu, Open Value Networks Infrastructure
Is it correct to say that it is a system in which peers automatically update and backup eachothers databases?

Tiberius Brastaviceanu

Jul 13, 2017, 10:47:39 PM7/13/17
to Tim Sandgren, Jim Anastassiou, Dante-Gabryell Monson, Open Value Networks Infrastructure
Hyperledger is related to Ethereum in this way

--

co-founder of SENSORICAan open value network
co-founder of CAKEconsulting for the new economy

Jim Anastassiou

Jul 14, 2017, 2:06:20 AM7/14/17
to Tiberius Brastaviceanu, Tim Sandgren, Dante-Gabryell Monson, Open Value Networks Infrastructure
Yeah lots of confusion around that one. The question is moot and the answer is wrong. The name Hyperledger alone is not a codebase,is the name of an open community hosted by the Linux Foundation, an umbrella project of open source blockchains and related tools.
Hyperledger Fabric, which matches the description in the Quora link above, is not a fork of Ethereum, and its origins are complicated. The Fabric codebase, donated (incubated) buy IBM, is a merger of 3 codebases that occured during a hackathon and Hyperledger TSC meeting in 2015. The codebases where from Blockstream, Digital Asset Holdings, and IBM and baptized Fabric. To add to all the confusion, DAH had recently acquired a company called Hyperledger lol that has nothing to do with the Linux one.

Hyperledger Burrow IS a fork of Ethereum from early 2015 that used to be known as eris-db from Eris Industries, now Monax. Its the only codebase in Hyperledger that uses the VM of a public blockchain (EVM).

If you wanna see something cool check out Hyperledger Sawtooth-Lake, incubated by Intel. It features an elegant consensus protocol called Proof of Elapsed Time