problem with sampled-piano

joa...@verona.se

Mar 24, 2024, 2:35:09 PMMar 24
to over...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I was playing with the sampled piano and had some fun with it.

Then my laptop crashed, and now I cant seem to get sampled piano working
again.

the cider repl says stuff like:
[scynth] Buffer UGen: no buffer data

the call:
(demo (sampled-piano))

The ns declaration:

(ns sylt.core
(:require [overtone.api]
[sylt.loseq :as seq]
[overtone.inst.sampled-piano :refer :all]
[overtone.inst.piano :refer :all])
(:use
[overtone.live] ;; overtone boots an external scsynth
[overtone.inst synth piano drum sampled-piano]
[overtone.examples.instruments space monotron]
[sylt.inst]
)
)

The samples downloaded fine the 1st time, and they are still there.

The overtone cheat sheet says sampled-piano must be manually refered:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/overtone/overtone/master/docs/cheatsheet/overtone-cheat-sheet.pdf

Why is that, and what does it even mean?

Regards
/Joakim
--
Joakim Verona
joa...@verona.se

Arne Brasseur

Mar 25, 2024, 2:06:11 AMMar 25
to over...@googlegroups.com
It means that you need to first load overtone.live, and once it has finished booting you can load the piano namespace.

AFAIK all the inst namespaces have this restriction. When you load a sample or define a synth, overtone tells supercollider to load or create objects. If there's no supercollider present yet then it can't do that. Hence why you get "no buffer data". It's trying to play a sample from a buffer, but the buffer didn't load.

It's a bit annoying, and not easy to fix. One thought about it but it would be a big undertaking.

joa...@verona.se

Mar 25, 2024, 9:49:25 AMMar 25
to Arne Brasseur, over...@googlegroups.com
Arne Brasseur <arne.b...@gmail.com> writes:

> It means that you need to first load overtone.live, and once it has finished booting you can load the piano namespace.
>
> AFAIK all the inst namespaces have this restriction. When you load a sample or define a synth, overtone tells
> supercollider to load or create objects. If there's no supercollider present yet then it can't do that. Hence why you get
> "no buffer data". It's trying to play a sample from a buffer, but the buffer didn't load.
>
> It's a bit annoying, and not easy to fix. One thought about it but it would be a big undertaking.

Thanks.

It turns out I had this dumb code:
(free-all-loaded-samples)

It was there because I changed samples on disk and wanted to reload them
repeatedly while working on the samples.

The effect in my case was that the sampled piano didnt work, but some
other instrumets and samples worked fine, so I got confused.

Regards
/Joakim
--
Joakim Verona