core.async vs overtone.at-at

Diego Villaseñor

Aug 8, 2020, 3:38:52 AM8/8/20
to Overtone
Has anyone used core.async for sequencing?

I am wondering how does it compare to at-at in terms of precision and performance, and (maybe) features.

Hlöðver Sigurðsson

Aug 8, 2020, 4:47:43 AM8/8/20
to Overtone
Yes Indeed I have. It's my go-to for creating async patterns in live-coding scenereo.

This here is an abandonware, but you can see how I use go-loops to loop over vectors of values and reset, update or kill on every cycle depending on user interaction:
https://github.com/panaeolus/africanus/blob/master/src/panaeolus/africanus.clj#L113

Hlöðver Sigurðsson

Aug 8, 2020, 4:49:41 AM8/8/20
to Overtone
An 1 point about percision, I wouldn't use core.async for timing. I'd rather use it for it's async (and thread-ing) capabilities and defer the actual event trigger to at-at or ableton-link.

at-at has a built-in queue so you can just shoot many as you want without worries.