Sale of fuel into containers

Mike

Jul 15, 2021, 8:58:53 AM7/15/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

I heard that the sale of fuel into containers was banned.

1.       Is this true and if so

a.       For how long (i.e. will we be able to fill them come Xmas?)

2.       Is this only for Gauteng and Natal?

Mike

Brian

Jul 15, 2021, 9:02:56 AM7/15/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

All of SA. Here is the news :

https://www.news24.com/fin24/economy/its-now-illegal-to-buy-fuel-in-a-container-in-sa-20210715

Regards,

Brian McMahon

br...@bdmc.co.za

landline +27 12 030 1032

cell        +27 82 652-0101

I heard that the sale of fuel into containers was banned.

1.       Is this true and if so

a.       For how long (i.e. will we be able to fill them come Xmas?)

2.       Is this only for Gauteng and Natal?

Mike

Image removed by sender.

Glen Roberts

Jul 15, 2021, 10:08:15 AM7/15/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Officially all of SA, but I filled up all my Petrol and Diesel cans today without issues.  The service station owner stated that the ban in the Western Cape will come into effect this weekend.  I don't know how they expect us to keep our generators etc on the farm filled if we cannot use cans to transport fuel?  Once again, no logical thought process behind decisions that are made.
Regards
Glen

Johan Snyman

Glen Roberts

Jul 15, 2021, 2:27:15 PM7/15/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
The fuel tank in my vehicle has a anti- theft device in that prevents fuel being siphoned. As do most vehicles these days.

Johan Snyman

Jul 15, 2021, 2:34:32 PM7/15/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
The tank also has a drain pipe….

Where there is a will, there is a way !

Sent from my iPhone

Geoff Hill

Jul 15, 2021, 4:31:03 PM7/15/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

My golf cart is petrol my car is diesel.

Geoffth

1.      For how long (i.e. will we be able to fill them come Xmas?)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/overland-forum/2B693B57-9CD3-47BB-94F4-3C414771B3FE%40iway.na.

Bruce Turner

Jul 16, 2021, 2:00:54 AM7/16/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

I’ve just filled up two 200ltr drums with diesel for delivery vehicles and our generator.

No problems.

Rgds
BruceT

et...@yebo.co.za

Jul 16, 2021, 5:52:47 AM7/16/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

I wouldn’t describe a 200l barrel as a small container.  Apart from it being 3 x the size of my vehicles fuel tank, I can’t see anyone picking it up with one hand either.

Henry Townsend

Derrick Slogrove

Jul 16, 2021, 2:50:13 PM7/16/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Seems the situation regarding containers is clarified. Approved containers are permitted

Derrick

FB_IMG_1626460751525.jpg

Glen Roberts

Jul 16, 2021, 3:14:32 PM7/16/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
All good and well, except that it has always been illegal for service stations to fill containers that are not designed for fuel. I have been at filling stations where attendants have refused to fill for example 5l water containers with fuel.
Bottom line then, is that nothing has actually changed.
Regards
Glen