VHF radio into Namibia

Renzo Blasa

Jun 23, 2024, 3:02:41 PMJun 23
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

I am heading off to Namibia early July and was wondering what are the requirements for taking the VHF radio

Thanks

Renzo

Eben Henning

Jun 24, 2024, 1:19:38 AMJun 24
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Renzo,

If you use the small retail store unit you buy in pairs (less than 1W output) you don't require any paperwork.

If you use 5w+ hand held or 25w+ vehicle mounted units you need to apply for permits which firstly verifies your legal rights in SA and then if the frequencies that you are to use are free or not restricted in NAM you would be granted a permit with costs.

This whole paperwork exercise is a hit and miss too, so .... hide the radio and the microphone far away at border crossings.
Actually very seldom do they request paperwork for that as it is very common these days but that is the official requirements.

Regards,
EbenH.

Bruce Turner

Jun 24, 2024, 1:42:18 AMJun 24
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

On this topic, I would be interested to see what the guys, with the latest craze from Australia with the black broom sticks on their bull bars, do wrt the licences when traveling to neighbouring countries because obviously our licences in SA are not valid in the neighbouring countries and those broom sticks stand out like a sore thumb.

Rgds

BruceT

Hennie Rautenbach

Jun 24, 2024, 3:13:07 AMJun 24
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I have the 4x4Community ORRA license and I have never bothered to get Nam approval and have never had issues being asked for such proof. At the border and checkpoints I switch it off...

On Sun, Jun 23, 2024 at 9:02 PM Renzo Blasa <re...@blasa.co.za> wrote:

Eben Henning

Jun 24, 2024, 3:37:07 AMJun 24
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
That is the overall consensus, you can have any radio in your car as long as you don't transmit, so at least unplug the mic and hide it.

As for the Ausies, they don't have any neighbouring countries :-)

grahambowring2

Jun 24, 2024, 3:40:02 AMJun 24
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Careful about the Aussies, we are very sensitive you know...

But did you know you can paddle a canoe between Australia & Papua New Guinea?

Graham B

Jun 24, 2024, 6:17:03 AMJun 24
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I don't understand them either I have fixed ( UHF) radios in two vehicles and both have a whip antenna that's about one metre tall plus a base.

4WD radios in Aust are typically 40 or 80 Ch UHF ( between 476.4250 and 477.4125 MHz)  with a range of perhaps a handful of km. Relatively inexpensive & easy to install.  Antennae are either thin whips or the thicker "broom stick" ones which are claimed to increase range in open terrain. I have zero knowledge ( as you can probably tell) so don't know why people purchase the more expensive. My UHF range is typically about 5km. Nothing fancy, both are nearly 20 yearsold.

 Sometimes (rarely) people have HF radio in 4WD for very long range comms. ( Thousands of km but not much use for short range). But you need a license for HF radio & they cost a lot more vs UHF which are cheap & don't need a license in Aust.

grahambowring2

Jun 24, 2024, 6:25:38 AMJun 24
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Here's an explanation...

  • Thin whips around 2 dbi for shorter range but better where there are obstructions.
  • Broomsticks with 8+ dbi for long range in open country.

Some people carry both types of antenna or fit two radios.

Mike Lauterbach

Jun 24, 2024, 6:32:32 AMJun 24
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
You need sturdy antennas, or broom sticks, to attach you flags to so that you are more visible when driving over dunes and blind rises.
:)

Cheers
Mike

grahambowring2

Jun 26, 2024, 2:44:50 AMJun 26
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Nah, you have to have a sand flag in the Simpson desert but that has to be 3.5metres above ground level.

We don't care how noticeable they are because we don't need a license etc.

Graham B

Jun 26, 2024, 2:44:55 AMJun 26
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Also makes campfire talk with 'my broomstick is thicker than yours'

The R3,000 M-Tech brooms claims 3db up to 8db gain but that is debatable in a single plane.
The normal R500 5/8 whip gives you 3db gain.

It seems to be a Cruiser thing.

Eben Henning

Jun 26, 2024, 2:45:01 AMJun 26
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I meant omnidirectional, not single plane.....

Bruce Turner

Jun 26, 2024, 2:48:59 AMJun 26
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Eben why would you want that and what difference does it make?

My wife would shoot me if I fitted a broom stick in front of her.

Rgds

BruceT

From: overlan...@googlegroups.com <overlan...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Eben Henning <cust...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 08:45
To: overlan...@googlegroups.com <overlan...@googlegroups.com>

Eben Henning

Jun 26, 2024, 3:30:46 AMJun 26
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce,

Want what?  The db gain?
It is a measure of sensitivity of the antenna for the specific frequency.
Keeping in mind theoretically an antenna is only 100% correct for one specific frequency and will perform perfect on only one specific frequency.
However there are means to fool the radio and slightly bend the edges of the perfect match so that you can transmit over a wider range with less peak output but better spread. When you have several channels you choose an antenna which will be correct for the center frequency in your range so you can within acceptable SRW transmit over your selected range.  SWR is a measure of how much output power is lost in fighting reflected waves from the antenna and readings of 1.1 (aprox 10% loss) are good and approaching 2 (most power is lost) is bad.  Keeping in mind if your radio does not have safety features on the output checking for this, you could burn your radio's output stages.
As in engines, there is no replacement for wire length in antennas.  But like a turbo artificially increases the engine size, so does coil loading for antennas.
In some ininstrances a 3db gain means doubling of your sensitivity.  Which basically improves your reception capabilities and in a lesser way your transmission capabilities.
Base coil loaded antennas are the most common items, but 100% whip coils and 2/3 whip coils are used for HF frequencies.
Basically you are fooling the radio in thinking you have a much longer antenna than actually mounted.
The 'Ducky' on your hand held is a coil antenna which is 100% coil so it gives a wide range of frequency but not optimal at any of them.

Now you also need to consider the application, off roading comes with a lot of things to look out for.
Placement on the vehicle, shorting on the body or roof rack is bad. Front or rear corner of vehicle is not optimal due to the ground plane presented for propagation.  Best transmission will be in the direction of good ground plain.
Length of antenna, flexibility and durability.

For me the ZARA 130 S/S 5/8 whip is ideal for off roading as it is cheap, fits in a normal radio antenna hole, hardy, very flexible, repairable, tunable and has a 3db gain if tuned for your frequency.  Those broom sticks are rigid and require a substantial mount, non repairable if snapped, not easily tunable and an eyesore constantly in your driving/viewing vision, no matter how cool it looks.

EbenH.

Renzo Blasa

Jun 27, 2024, 3:30:44 PMJun 27
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

After checking the ORRA license I see that it now covers SA, Botswana and Namibia without any additional paperwork.

As I already have a radio license through ORRA I am sorted J

Ciao

Renzo

Eben Henning

Jun 28, 2024, 1:21:48 AMJun 28
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Now that is good news!

Where is that stated?

Renzo Blasa

Jun 28, 2024, 7:33:06 AMJun 28
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

On their homepage https://www.orra.co.za/index.html , and on my license the flags of all 3 countries, their issuing authorities logos and reference numbers are printed

Ciao

Renzo

Eben Henning

Jul 1, 2024, 2:04:04 AMJul 1
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Renzo,

Have not printed my ORRA license to see that.

Hennie Rautenbach

Jul 1, 2024, 2:05:59 AMJul 1
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Good news. Now I also know... :)

Eben Henning

Jul 1, 2024, 2:12:57 AMJul 1
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Still read this n the ORRA page:

Members planning trips to Namibia and/or Botswana must contact our administrator for assistance to obtain the necessary documentation. The process must be initiated at least four weeks before your date of departure.

A member will have to complete an internal application form and provide proof of payment of the relevant fees in order for the Administrator to initiate the process to either issue an additional authorization for Namibia and/or apply for a temporary license for Botswana.

These documents must be accompanied by your ORRA User Authorisation Card when visiting these countries. The User Authorisation Card on its own will not be sufficient proof of licensing in Namibia and/or Botswana.

Eben Henning

Jul 1, 2024, 2:13:32 AMJul 1
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Just printed my license to keep in the vehicle and no indication of other countries shown on there...

Bruce Turner

Jul 1, 2024, 2:59:01 AMJul 1
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

OK so ORRA is not valid in neighbouring countries they just assist you to get the licence. Pretty much the same as its always been except now ORRA help (for a fee obviously).

Very different to saying ORRA licences are valid in neighbouring countries or am I miss reading it?

Rgds

BruceT

Date: Monday, 01 July 2024 at 08:12
To: overlan...@googlegroups.com <overlan...@googlegroups.com>

Eben Henning

Jul 1, 2024, 4:08:32 AMJul 1
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
They did negotiate for their channels to be available or reserved in Bots and Nam, but you still need to declare and apply for a permit in those countries and ORRA will help with that.

That is how I see it?

Bruce Turner

Jul 1, 2024, 5:23:45 AMJul 1
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Eben.

Its funny I have used a normal whip until Eric Sommer chopped it in half for me and  made a quarter wave antenna which I have used ever since because it doesn’t hit the trees as much. They have always been attached to the side of the roof rack either in the front or in the rear and never anywhere else. They have always done what they have needed to do, have been out of the way, don’t irritate Swambo and never broken.

Often I think things are too over thought and marketed for sales more than function…….in the case of the broom sticks, I believe this has been made popular by youtubers like 4wd247 etc although they are on UHF, as I see people are now fitting huge wheels, free flow exhausts, huge lifts and things like coffee machines and air fryers to their “Overlanding vehicles”.

I think im getting old. 😊

Rgds

BruceT

Mike Slater

Jul 1, 2024, 6:07:20 AMJul 1
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Bruce.

With you 5/5.  Also getting a "bit" older, but (perhaps) a "lot" wiser.

Why get away from it all when you can bring it with you?

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "overland-forum" group.

"Alla fin del gioco tanto va nel sacco il Re quanto la pedina."

Best wishes

Mike Slater

Join me in amazing Mozambique:
http://www.mozguide.com/

Renzo Blasa

Jul 2, 2024, 4:02:05 PMJul 2
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

You may well be right Eben. I did not see the part you mention so I guess I will switch off at the border and cover the radio…..

Ciao

Renzo