Hilux DC Canopy

Brendon Muller

Jan 15, 2024, 11:59:38 PMJan 15
to Overland Forum
Morning Gents,

So beginning of December I bought myself a 4x4 Hilux DC 2.8 GD6. I now need to fit a canopy and was shocked at the wide variety available
I originally was considering the GC² but after taking a closer look was not very impressed with their weather sealing. I then came across
GZ Canopies who seem to have an excellent range of canopies and every possible accessory to fit the canopies, accessories seem on par
with Frontrunner.
Would like to here from anybody who maybe has experience with these canopies or advice on something else, I also looked at RLD, they are
more expensive than most others but also an option?

@ Bruce Turner - what canopies did you go for on your Overland vehicles?

The 2 units at GZ I was considering:

Quite like this unit with the load slider, I had forgotten how difficult it is to get to stuff on the back of a bakkie

https://www.gzcanopies.com/product-page/combo-mid-range-canopy-loadslider-gz-aluminium-canopies

https://www.gzcanopies.com/product-page/mid-range-weekender-camping-package-double-cab-canopy-gz-aluminium-canopies

TIA

Brendon Muller

Bruce Turner

Jan 16, 2024, 12:26:30 AMJan 16
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Hi Brendon,

Congratulations.

I have Khaya canopies and Alucab canopies on mine only because I needed the full rear door but they do crack and need constant maintenance and checks. I did have a look at Bushtec in Honeydew who seem to supply quality canopies too but they don’t do a version with a full door.

I have just purchased another Hilux which has a fibreglass canopy on it. Not ideal for “overlanding” so I will be getting rid of it if anyone is interested in it. I will then be making a custom canopy to my spec. I use a great guy by the name of Lucky who used to run the factory at Outback Africa (for the original owner). Lucky does all my ali stuff if you would prefer to make one for yourself with your own design. His pricing is also very competitive and he can make them any colour you would like. He also built my drawer system and fridge slide in the New Defender and drawers in my Khaya campers.

I have removed all of my Frontrunner roof racks, given them away and replaced them with Eezi Awn roof racks. Main reason is that the FR ones are all bolted together now and they all ended up rattling on corrugated roads. The paint/powder coating is also not very good quality anymore and ends up chipping and peeling something I didn’t experience with the old FR or with Eezi Awn. I also removed the tables from under the roof racks and fitted them to the inside of the canopies. This also reduced the rattle a lot because that front runner table almost ended up in the bin after I did one trip down a corrugated road – and it was brand new brackets and table.

I have no rattles on the Eezi Awn racks and I also fitted an Eezi Awn RR on my Defender too which is super quiet. It’s also the only roof rack that I have ever stood on that doesn’t bend under my weight and is the only roof rack where there is very little chance of wood falling through onto the roof. In fact I often say to people take a piece of wood out of a back and throw it up onto the roof rack, if it hits your vehicles roof you have the wrong roof rack. They also look much better in my opinion. I think they’re quieter too but its hard to say as all my vehicles always have a ton of accessories on top of them. I highly recommend you consider the Eezi Awn roof racks.

As a side note and hint for dust; the biggest spots I have found for dust ingress is in the 4 top corners of the tub on the inside. If you look under the top lip on the inside of the tub, in the corners you will see big holes that are about 4cm squared. I have stuffed foam into them which has stopped most of the dust. Dish washing sponges work well. The dust still gets through but these spots were the biggest spots for dust on my vehicles. Also a great places to feed cables into the rear without drilling etc.

All the best with your new vehicle.

Rgds

BruceT

1bostoe

Jan 16, 2024, 12:31:29 AMJan 16
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brendon,
Have a look at Wild canopies.
I fitted one on my Ranger, very happy with it.
They are well priced cheaper than most others.
They deliver throughout SA.

Neels

Brendon Muller

Jan 16, 2024, 12:37:25 AMJan 16
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback Bruce, should have asked sooner as the first thing I went out and bought was my Frontrunner Roofrack for the bakkie 🙂 will keep your advice in mind for future purchases.
Does lucky have a FB page or site that a person can see his products?

Another item I need to upgrade is the Media System, only after buying the vehicle did I notice it was one without maps, I have been to 2 different places and both have recommended Star Sound as a
replacement option, this is a brand I don't know at all but the guys assure me they have no issues with these units?

Cheers Brendon

Brendon Muller

Jan 16, 2024, 12:48:39 AMJan 16
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Neels, took a look at their canopies, don't look bad at all, have asked them for a quotation, I think the only thing I don't like is the high level brake light 😕

Bruce Turner

Jan 16, 2024, 1:09:28 AMJan 16
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Brandon im not sure if he has a website but look on Social media for Kalahari Canopies. He does better work than marketing. 😊

Rgds

BruceT

Brendon Muller

Jan 16, 2024, 1:17:38 AMJan 16
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Bruce Turner

Jan 16, 2024, 1:46:24 AMJan 16
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

That’s him Brandon.

Brendon Muller

Jan 16, 2024, 5:58:49 AMJan 16
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Must say his work looks great and prices very reasonable at R23K

Bruce Turner

Jan 16, 2024, 6:18:41 AMJan 16
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Phone him and tell him you are a mate of mine. He may give further discount

--

Image removed by sender.

Hennie Rautenbach

Mar 14, 2024, 5:57:46 AMMar 14
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Brendon I am curious. Has the Cruiser gone to happier pastures ?

Brendon Muller

Mar 14, 2024, 6:19:29 AMMar 14
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hennie, yip I decided to sell end of last year, not really sure if it was the right thing to do but it is done.
Went for a 2.8 GD6 DC felt guilty not using the cruiser to its full potential, for the trip s we have been doing
lately the Hilux will do, and much more comfortable as an every day ride

Hennie Rautenbach

Mar 14, 2024, 6:26:19 AMMar 14
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Great! Happy travels...

Bruce Turner

Mar 14, 2024, 11:46:55 AMMar 14
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Hope no one minds about this blatant advert but its on topic.

I have just purchased two GD6 double cabs from Toyota and they included fibreglass canopys with them. Both in excellent condition. One is a 2022 and the other a 2021.

Im selling then for R5k each if anyone is interested.

--

Image removed by sender.