Here we go again, building another camper

Gregg Howard

Feb 1, 2021, 12:41:36 PM2/1/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Some of you may remember, a

round 2005, I built a Unimog camper.

 0E434620-094A-47DF-A800-4946AEA19E25_1_105_c.jpeg

C9E381F5-F844-4B85-998B-B232EDF34C5D.jpeg
4572AD78-0B2D-4D3E-B7F5-A34929DA18ED.jpeg

A6C61D58-2A27-41A3-B6DA-6D2730E36A0C_1_105_c.jpeg

Well ... I am at it again.

We have had our Land Cruiser Troopy (78) camper now for 3 years, and have decided to modify it for extended travel. For Africa, and a lot of the world, the Troopy cannot be beaten. However, where we want to go to a drastic change is needed.

72447E9E-F3DB-4496-8850-EDADA1085F00.jpg

Our aim is to have a vehicle that is as big as possible and yet be able to fit in a container (a standard container is 5.89m long and 2.39m high). Balancing that with the requirement that we must be able to live in her for a few years, in all weather conditions, is not a simple task.

10aeab31-1652-43ac-a51c-5b102af3bec3.jpg

62d2e4425c72565765d5c5969a39b11d.jpg

By extending our Troopy wheelbase by 600mm, and when shipping removing the rear paraphernalia (gas bottles, boxes and spare wheels), we have managed to come to a length of 5.8m. Height being another challenge will require the bed being fitted on sliders to the popup roof to enable it to fit into the space in the box whilst traveling and sliding it over the cab when sleeping/down.

The interior box size will be 2.75m length x 1.75m wide x 1.25 m high (2.25m roof popped up). As to the current of 2m length, and 1.4 wide with about the same height. There has been many iterations in design to be able to optimise the limited space.

Why the Land Cruiser as a platform?

- it must be able to go where any other vehicle and 4x4 can go

- costs of travel; shipping and entry feels (countries, national parks, etc)

- basic motor; no turbo to stress the motor

- spares available across the globe

- for us to replace it will cost too much with all the extras that we have

Current challenges in the current configuration:

- too narrow for two people to pass each

- the toilet is just under a bench, need more privacy

- not designed for colder climates; need an internal shower for colder days

- need a bigger clothes cupboard that also has hanging space

- want a gas oven for bread, etc

- no internal heating (air diesel heater)

- no ability to drop the popup roof and still have the bed out (cold or bad weather, and covert camping)

- seating is not comfortable  (need back support)

The cruiser will be back this week, and then over the next few weeks, the frame for the chassis to mount the box, and the box itself will be made.

It is a daunting task, but we are committed now .. hahaha

Mike Slater

Feb 1, 2021, 12:54:23 PM2/1/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Excellent project.

Put an old Kombi Camper body in a cruza chassis.  Ticks most of the boxes.  OK one or two...

Will follow progress with fascination and envy.

kúnóógwa kwáshákuúlya kúmáííka ukáálya

The above is an expression from the Makonde language of north-eastern Mozambique.  Loosely translated it means "the proof of the pudding is in the eating."

Best wishes

Mike Slater

Join me in amazing Mozambique:

Mac Mc Laren

Feb 1, 2021, 3:35:51 PM2/1/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Greg I have done a lot of research and could share plus mistakes I have made

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Etienne du Plessis

Feb 1, 2021, 6:00:24 PM2/1/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Gregg,

While doing research, you might want to take a look at this vehicle: https://slrvexpedition.com.au/products/slrv-bushman-4x4/

While I'm not suggesting you make a solid pop-top like they've done, I do think the idea of a lift up bed is cool...one doesn't have to make and unmake the bed to have a seating area...I don't know if you'll be able to make it work in your setup, but it might be worth considering.

Note on the diesel space heater: I have Webasto Thermo Pro 90 heating in my vehicle (for water and ducted heat)...just remember that while it is on, it has a fan blowing, and a circulation pump continuously running. It draws about 4 amps while running...and it runs continuously...so make sure you have enough battery power to keep it going in those snowy climes.
(Note on this: I chose diesel heated water instead of a gas hot water heater to cut down on gas consumption. Diesel is much more readily available than LPG refill stations...)

Etienne

Bruce Turner

Feb 2, 2021, 1:31:54 AM2/2/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Wow Greg that’s awesome.

I am also making some changes to my 130 to lower the overall height as I am about 8cm too high for a container. We will be avoiding cold climates for now though so keeping the basic concept the way it is until I can get a slide on type camper. Have a look at Four Wheel Campers (Grizzly model) for some great ideas.

A good suggestion made by  the shipping company was to let down the tyres to help it fit. Thought I would mention this as it can help you with say 5 to 8cm maybe a bit more.

I’m looking forward to seeing the end result as well as hearing about the planned trip. Good luck with it all.

Rgds
Bruce

Gregg Howard

Feb 2, 2021, 1:52:08 AM2/2/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Morning Ettianne,

About the bed, currently our bed is(was) always made and just tilts up.  In the new configuration the bed is also made up permanently and is attached to the roof.  It is then slid forward on sliders and then lowered down into "brackets" to use.
This has many advantages, other than having the bed always made up.  It keeps it out the way, gives us 360deg view when game viewing and also makes the inside bigger.
I have already built the bed frame and have a mechanism that it is currently manual wind, but will/may put a motor on later (but keep the manual option) that lifts and drops the roof.  Works like a charm.

I investigated a lot about a solid popup, there were three types that I was looking at, however they also have disadvantages.  I have settled for a canvas side to the pop-up, but has an extra layer that can be rolled down and if needed filler put inbetween.  The bed can also be lowered right down to the bench level so that we can have the popup closed if very cold.

I was looking at these previously, thay are a bit out my budget though.

gregg

Hannes Thirion

Feb 2, 2021, 1:57:44 AM2/2/21
to Overland Forum
Gregg,
Sounds very interesting.  Will follow here and on LCCSA.
Looking forward to seeing how the roof and bed config look and work.
Regards
Hannes Thirion

grahambowring2

Feb 2, 2021, 2:32:16 AM2/2/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Have you thought about a set of low profile shipping wheels?  Maybe space-spacesaver spare wheels for easier storage?

I recall years ago seeing tractors shipped on laminated timber wheels. Just big enough to provide minimal ground clearance but as small as possible to minimise shipping cost.

Regards, Graham

Gregg Howard

Feb 2, 2021, 2:35:22 AM2/2/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Gregg Howard

Feb 2, 2021, 3:23:12 AM2/2/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hello Graham,

Yes I have.  I may get some made, however they are heavy so don't want to cart them around.  However they are something that you can get made when you need them.  They give about 20cm.

image.png

grahambowring2

Feb 2, 2021, 4:00:51 AM2/2/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
The timber ones they used to use were disposable, not as pretty as yours!

Graham Bowring
0417 827 390

Mac Mc Laren

Feb 2, 2021, 4:42:27 AM2/2/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg, have you given thought to international medical Insurance?
I am investigating that now?

Piet Visser

Feb 2, 2021, 5:03:51 AM2/2/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hallo Greg,
Hou ons op hoogte.
think you going to enjoy the Troopie

Mike Nieuwoudt

Feb 2, 2021, 6:13:35 AM2/2/21
to overland-forum
Hi Gregg
Just make sure about your container minimum sizes (ISO 668 containers). Also make sure you take minimum door sizes in consideration.

Standard 20' 1C 8' high container
Internal Height 2197mm
Internal Width 2330mm
Internal Length 5867mm
Door Height 2134mm
Door Width 2286mm

Hi-Cube 20' 1CC 8'6" high container
Internal Height 2350mm
Internal Width 2330mm
Internal Length 5867mm
Door Height 2134mm
Door Width 2286mm

All the best with the build

Mike Nieuwoudt

Feb 2, 2021, 6:15:15 AM2/2/21
to overland-forum
Sorry man, 1CC door minimum 2261mm

Gregg Howard

Feb 2, 2021, 6:18:45 AM2/2/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mac,

Funny enough, we were talking but that last night.
Over and above this insurance there is GEOS, which has been bought out by Garmin

using an Garmin inReach devices annual subscription gives you access to this.  There are different packages, have a look.

gregg

Gregg Howard

Feb 2, 2021, 6:29:01 AM2/2/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mike

I have different internal heights

image.png

Normal : 2.39m internal and door 2.28m
High cube: 2.69m  internal and door 2.58m

We are planning a normal.

Although in most cases, overlanders share a 40ft as it saves a lot of money.

gregg

Gregg Howard

Feb 2, 2021, 6:30:52 AM2/2/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
image.png

Mike Nieuwoudt

Feb 2, 2021, 7:06:41 AM2/2/21
to overland-forum
Hi Gregg, that 20' hi-cube is a 1CCC which is not allowed to be transported in SA and several other countries? The 20' General is the 1CC. But those are manufacturers values, not minimum specifieds.

roaming yak

Feb 2, 2021, 10:02:20 AM2/2/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
How essential is the inside toilet really?
I know quite a few big truckers who still go outside to avoid cleaning it out, and it’s usually hot and humid and can stink out the whole cab for a while lol

Tiny bucket with a gardening trowel, loo roll and a lighter is all I use (wink)

4x4's and other stuff for sale:
http://www.overland.co.za/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=2
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "overland-forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/overland-forum/a32b2b11-56e4-4f79-a045-85c229532708n%40googlegroups.com.

Gregg Howard

Feb 2, 2021, 10:27:43 AM2/2/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Mike, the standard container is the 1CC, which is the one that I am designing to fit the vehicle in.  The hi-cube is used on a lot of the shipping routes.  the 1C is not common, it is an open (flat rack) container.

gregg

Peter Levey

Feb 3, 2021, 5:03:22 AM2/3/21
to Overland-forum
Hi Gregg,
Big project - watching developments with keen interest.

Cheers
Peter Levey

Dave Raulstone

Feb 3, 2021, 2:29:57 PM2/3/21
to overland-forum
Hi Gregg
Where are you going to be travelling, or is that a secret?

Post covid s Africa still has a lot for us to enjoy.

Gregg Howard

Feb 4, 2021, 12:12:04 AM2/4/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Dave,

Patagonia and Mongolia with some stuff in between.  There is still a few years to go before we can depart :-(  but as you know getting the vehicle optimised, the planning, etc takes a while.

regards

Gregg

Hennie Rautenbach

Feb 4, 2021, 3:37:59 AM2/4/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Following your developments with keen interest...

Mac Mc Laren

Feb 4, 2021, 4:08:55 AM2/4/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Greg, our departure date is the 29th May 2021. Will keep you posted.

Michael Bishop

Feb 4, 2021, 6:35:36 AM2/4/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys

Anyone have any experience with the 2.8Tdi ("Powerstrock") engine that was (relatively) often put in to replace 200Tdi and 300TDi Land Rover engines?

I'd be particularly interested in hearing about inherent faults / things to look out for / things to watch / etc.

I've read some comments on the 'net about the R380 gear box not being strong enough for the engine - but other people say they never had a problem.

Regards

Mike B

Gregg Howard

Feb 4, 2021, 7:08:35 AM2/4/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Cool, Mac, I shall be following.  Egypt is a bit expensive (as far as I understand from some travelers), and an admin nightmare.

gregg

Sean Riley

Feb 4, 2021, 7:18:31 AM2/4/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

The R380 is sufficient for the Powerstroke motor. It would be ideal if the R380 was a suffix K version which is an upgrade from the suffix J box.

Dave Raulstone

Feb 4, 2021, 7:27:46 AM2/4/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gregg

Impressive,
julle skrik vir niks after over 20, maybe 25?, years  on overland, some of them I've been quiet.

We're still hooked on southern African wildlife and environment to the exclusion of totally different places like that.
Tricky is finding fellow travellers: it seems that with age many get less inclined to explore, the opposite of you.

Dave Raulstone

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "overland-forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/overland-forum/CABHC6HiRz_KBnbkqQVfuVtFHmaBHmVE25MR92boAu-4PJePq6Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Eben Henning

Feb 4, 2021, 11:13:31 AM2/4/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

I have rebuilt one sitting in my workshop at the mo waiting for a vehicle to be completed.
The R380 will be good, as Sean says, BUT if you have some sympathy with it.  Guys complaining about it eating R380s tow trailers and complain about 300Tdi having no power :-)

The K or L R380 is plenty for it.

Parts are scares if you talking internals (rods, pistons, bearings, head, correct head gasket, etc)

It fits directly on 300Tdi, BUT the spigot bearing (bush) is different!! (size in crank is bigger)

Head is slightly different (internal not external)
Block is different (internal not external)

Pump is completely different (internal not external) and has different timing setting.
Dual stage injectors but higher pressures.

Exhaust manifold is different for the VVT turbo, it also swaps the exhaust / intake around, exhaust at the back and intake at the front.

No Vacuum pump!!!  Uses a alternator with vacuum on the back (Bosch)

Rest is same and will take 300Tdi parts.

Can take a 300Tdi head but will defeat the upgrades in the PS cooling design.
Head bolts are different to 300 Tdi, you need to combine a 300Tdi set with a FORD 2.2 set to get all the correct bolts.

Oil filter can be a pain for 300Tdi mounting so some V8 bits and mods make it miss the engine mount.

Need more info contact me.

EbenH.

Hennie Rautenbach

Feb 5, 2021, 2:03:34 AM2/5/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Interesting. Does the Power-Stroke come standard with a VVT ? Quite a few years ago I represented a forum subscriber in the sale of his 90 fitted with a power-stroke. Old age is catching up - can't remember his name and going through the subscriber's list nothing was triggered. Anyway what I can remember from it was that it pulled like the clappers but was a lot coarser (vibration) than my 300 Tdi. May have been an issue with that one only.

Hennie Rautenbach

Feb 5, 2021, 2:04:54 AM2/5/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I just remembered ! Wikus du Plessis...

Michael Bishop

Feb 5, 2021, 2:18:25 AM2/5/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Eben (wish you were in CT).  😉
Just bought a '97 110 Station Wagon with a Powerstroke in it.
No aircon pump (I suspect someone took it out to create an on-board compressed air supply - maybe...).
PO says the motor was rebuilt in 2019.
I guess, that like the P38, there'll be things that I'll need to sort out before I'm completely happy.  LOL
Regards
Mike B

Feb 7, 2021, 7:16:47 AM2/7/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Hi Michael,

I’ve had no issues with mine that was fitted in 2007.

Its 375 Nm torque maximum just fits within the specs of the R380. So as others pointed out it’s still possible to shorten gearbox lifetime if you wanted to but all good for me with decent driving.

Eben’s notes on the conversion are excellent. As far as I recall mine came with a variable nozzle turbo.

Cheers,

François

François Visagie

Mobile  +44 (7624) 321682

Email      francois...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2021, 1:37:56 PM2/7/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Hennie

Feb 7, 2021, 1:38:15 PM2/7/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Francois

Feb 7, 2021, 3:19:37 PM2/7/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Ahemm Mike, time to visit.

About 60000 on Powerstroke.

Johan S

Feb 8, 2021, 5:08:30 AM2/8/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hennie,

It came with two variants, Non VVT and a VVT.  DOn't think any of those in SA did not have VVT as it was the reason for the lekker pull.

It had a different exhaust manifold with a industry standard mount of many different turbo's to be fitted, so you can over do it if you want.  The std one is set to 1.1bar from factory.

I did manage to buy them locally specific for the motor, even came with SPanish install instructions :-)

If you want details for the turbo (part no) or the manifold ...... https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/327387-2-8-Powerstroke-TDi?p=4335075#post4335075

You can read the rest of the thread if you want....

EbenH.

Michael Bishop

Feb 9, 2021, 5:09:07 AM2/9/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Without a doubt.  🙂

To: overlan...@googlegroups.com <overlan...@googlegroups.com>

Ahemm Mike, time to visit.

Michael Bishop

Feb 9, 2021, 5:15:53 AM2/9/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Hi guys

For those of you with experience of the 2.8Tdi Powerstroke.  Does it matter whether one uses 500ppm or 50ppm diesel fuel in the engine?

Also, any guidance on the reliably cheaper places to get diesel in the Cape Town / greater Cape Town area?

Thanks

Regards

Mike B

Louis Jooste

Feb 9, 2021, 6:15:25 AM2/9/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Not sure where you are, but Agrimark in Durbanville and Cavalier Motors in Durbanville are 2 of the cheaper places.

Over weekends Cavalier Motors is normally R1 cheaper than anywhere else.

Louis

Mike

Feb 9, 2021, 9:28:46 AM2/9/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mike, 500ppm or 50ppm Diesel, for both, phone me at 021 554 2031.

Mike Eaton

Feb 11, 2021, 11:43:53 AM2/11/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

On our way back from Kimberly to Johannesburg we are bypassing Kamfers Dam. Now I saw that there is a flamingo colony and it might be a nice stop. Google Maps shows a road towards flamingo island.
On the WWW I found Kamfers Dam as privately owned. Can I take the road coming from the north towards the dam or is it not accessible at all?

Thanks,

Andreas

Gregg Howard

Aug 4, 2021, 4:25:26 AM8/4/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Some updates:

Off to my brothers place to start the construction
build01.jpeg
build04.jpg

Pano of the inside, empty
insidepano.jpeg

The pop up roof, the roof pops up by 1m
oldmechanismback.jpeg

nearly ready for painting and the canvas
almostreadyforpainting2.jpeg

The inside has also began, will send pics later

gregg

On Mon, 1 Feb 2021 at 19:41, Gregg Howard <howa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Some of you may remember, a

round 2005, I built a Unimog camper.

Well ... I am at it again.

We have had our Land Cruiser Troopy (78) camper now for 3 years, and have decided to modify it for extended travel. For Africa, and a lot of the world, the Troopy cannot be beaten. However, where we want to go to a drastic change is needed.

Our aim is to have a vehicle that is as big as possible and yet be able to fit in a container (a standard container is 5.89m long and 2.39m high). Balancing that with the requirement that we must be able to live in her for a few years, in all weather conditions, is not a simple task.

Hannes Thirion

Aug 4, 2021, 4:47:06 AM8/4/21
to Overland Forum
Well done Gregg, look great so far.
Please keep on sending photos.

Mike Slater

Aug 4, 2021, 5:10:50 AM8/4/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Very impressive.

What material are the panels made from?

What is the weight without fittings?

4x4's and other stuff for sale:
http://www.overland.co.za/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=2
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "overland-forum" group.

"Alla fin del gioco tanto va nel sacco il Re quanto la pedina."

Best wishes

Mike Slater

Join me in amazing Mozambique:
http://www.mozguide.com/index.php/about/about/custom-trips-and-tours

Gregg Howard

Aug 4, 2021, 5:28:01 AM8/4/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mike,

they are 40mm insulated fibreglass panels made of polystyrene sandwiched with fibreglass sheet.  They are pretty rigid and strong. I could not find someone here in Gauteng to do it for me at that price, so I had them made in PE (or whatever it is called now).

Interesting facts:
1. There is over 150m of aluminium in different profiles.
2. So far 72 tubes of sealant (only available in 300ml tubes) and 10 of silicone. That's 25 litres!

I am going to get the vehicle weighed next weekend and I will let you know.

gregg

Very impressive.

4x4's and other stuff for sale:
http://www.overland.co.za/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=2
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "overland-forum" group.

"Alla fin del gioco tanto va nel sacco il Re quanto la pedina."

Best wishes

Mike Slater

Join me in amazing Mozambique:
http://www.mozguide.com/index.php/about/about/custom-trips-and-tours

Mike Slater

Fanie du Plessis

Bruce Turner

Aug 4, 2021, 6:40:41 AM8/4/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Nico Roets

Aug 5, 2021, 6:56:45 AM8/5/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Looks great

--
Regards,
Nico Roets.

Piet Visser

Aug 5, 2021, 10:23:04 AM8/5/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hallo Greg,
met hoeveel het jy toe die voertuig verleng?
Hanteer hy nou anders?

Piet Visser

Gregg Howard

Aug 5, 2021, 11:56:30 AM8/5/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hello Piet,

I extended the wheelbase by 60cm
The troopy wheelbase is just under 20cm shorter than a single cab and the single cab rear overhang is 20cm longer than the troopy.  So the camper is only 20cm longer than a single cab.
As for the handling ... it is smoother, but the turning circle is horrendous ... but I would prefer the extra to be between the axles instead of the overhang on the rear.

gregg

Sean Steyn

Aug 6, 2021, 5:52:34 AM8/6/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

The Itch.

Gregg Howard

Oct 18, 2021, 3:32:50 AM10/18/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
A couple of months have passed since my last post on the build.

On the long weekend we did our first trip.  Although she is not complete, the basics were working.

ontrip1.jpeg

roofup-canvas.jpg

Hopefully next month she goes for painting, but until then she is good enough to use.

gregg

Michael Bishop

Oct 18, 2021, 4:19:28 AM10/18/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

For years the cab heater element (Part Nº AAP817 or UTP1725) of my Defender has been disconnected / bye-passed due to it leaking - causing coolant loss.

Got a new one from the UK (a long time ago) and have decided that it's time to fit it - after all, summer has arrived! LOL.

Question:

The heater matrix is surrounded by a sticky black foam (referred to in the workshop manual as "foam rubber"). It holds the matrix in place and prevents air from passing around the matrix instead of going through it. I suspect that the stickiness is age related.

Anyone have any experience of this / could tell me what product (actual specification) the "foam rubber " is.

Obviously, it needs to be heat resistant, so I can't just use a sheet of polystyrene. 🙂

Regards

Mike B

________________________________

On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 at 16:23, Piet Visser <kui...@gmail.com<mailto:kui...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Hallo Greg,
met hoeveel het jy toe die voertuig verleng?
Hanteer hy nou anders?

Piet Visser

On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 at 12:56, Nico Roets <roets...@gmail.com<mailto:roets...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Looks great

On Wed, 4 Aug 2021 at 12:40, Bruce Turner <bjtu...@gmail.com<mailto:bjtu...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Awesome Gregg. Looks really good.

On Wed, 04 Aug 2021 at 11:51, Fanie du Plessis <dupless...@gmail.com<mailto:dupless...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Looking great Gregg.

Op Wo. 4 Aug. 2021 11:37 het Mike Slater <mozg...@gmail.com<mailto:mozg...@gmail.com>> geskryf:
Thanks Gregg

overland-foru...@googlegroups.com<mailto:overland-forum%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/overland-forum/CABHC6HhvTXqjtXEc-eu%3Dr%3DCqVkNifg6kmZotx5N32OHDR0mEKg%40mail.gmail.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/overland-forum/CABHC6HhvTXqjtXEc-eu%3Dr%3DCqVkNifg6kmZotx5N32OHDR0mEKg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

"Alla fin del gioco tanto va nel sacco il Re quanto la pedina."

Best wishes

Mike Slater

Join me in amazing Mozambique:
http://www.mozguide.com/index.php/about/about/custom-trips-and-tours

"Alla fin del gioco tanto va nel sacco il Re quanto la pedina."

Best wishes

Mike Slater

Join me in amazing Mozambique:
http://www.mozguide.com/index.php/about/about/custom-trips-and-tours

Regards,
Nico Roets.

Bertus Bekker

Mike Lauterbach

Oct 18, 2021, 8:03:47 AM10/18/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Yip, I used close cell foam from Sondor as well

Eben Henning

Oct 18, 2021, 8:18:19 AM10/18/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Sonodor does a fire retardant closed cell if you want to be technical, but big sheets of it.
Just use the self adhesive 'foam strip' jobbies you buy from builders.

EbenH.

Peter Levey

Oct 18, 2021, 10:01:38 AM10/18/21
to Overland-forum
Hi Gregg,
Looks very nice.  Please give us some shots of the inside as well sometime.

Thanks
Peter Levey

Mac Mc Laren

Oct 19, 2021, 8:05:49 AM10/19/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Impressive Greg.

Gregg Howard

Oct 26, 2021, 2:45:02 AM10/26/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hello Peter,

I will post some pics on the inside in the next couple of weeks.

gregg

Michael Bishop

Nov 17, 2021, 3:31:23 AM11/17/21
to overland-forum, ZA-Land-Rover-Owners
Hi Guys

For any who are interested...

Just had a Minus 40 repaired after having stood in my garage for the last 8 or 10 years.  Minus 40 quoted R7,860.25 (new SECOP compressor) - the job was done for a fraction of the price using a second hand Danfoss compressor that looked like new.

I can definitely recommend the elderly gentleman (75) who did the job and who was able to supply a replacement compressor after confirming that the original one was, in fact, no longer working (Mr Korb 083-794.1700).   Mr Korb's experience includes repairing fridges for the yachts out of the Royal Cape Yacht Club.

I've had no previous knowledge of Mr Korb, his name was given to me by a chap at Metra Clark (wholesale fridge component seller in Paaren Eiland) - but I watched what he did and was impressed.

Regards

Mike B

Gregg Howard

Mar 3, 2022, 8:28:34 AM3/3/22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Here is a video of the external build so far.
I will try and do the inside soon.

Gregg Howard

Mar 3, 2022, 10:37:53 AM3/3/22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hello Peter,

Here are some inside pictures.  There is lot of finishing still to do and also things still in progress, like the inside shower and some cupboard doors.

Gregg

01lookinginbeddown.jpg02beddown1.jpg03bedup1.jpg04bathroom1.jpg05lookingbackbedup2.jpg

On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 at 16:01, Peter Levey <lev...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Gregg,
Looks very nice.  Please give us some shots of the inside as well sometime.

Thanks
Peter Levey

james...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2022, 10:48:17 AM3/3/22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Hi Gregg,

Well done but it is too fast to appreciate what you have done.

Kind regards

James

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 9:32 AM Gregg Howard <howa...@gmail.com> wrote:

A couple of months have passed since my last post on the build.

On the long weekend we did our first trip.  Although she is not complete, the basics were working.

Looks great

Looking great Gregg.

Very impressive.

Some updates:

Error! Filename not specified.

Error! Filename not specified.

Pano of the inside, empty

Error! Filename not specified.

The pop up roof, the roof pops up by 1m

Error! Filename not specified.

nearly ready for painting and the canvas

Error! Filename not specified.

~WRD0001.jpg
image001.jpg
image002.jpg

Gregg Howard

Mar 3, 2022, 11:41:45 AM3/3/22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hello James,

The video became too large, and I also did not want bore people.

Gregg

Nico Roets

Mar 4, 2022, 4:22:53 AM3/4/22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Looks great Gregg

--
Regards,
Nico Roets.

Hennie Rautenbach

Mar 4, 2022, 4:45:38 AM3/4/22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
That was a bit rushed... (referring to the video)...

H.

Willem Coetsee (GMAIL)

Mar 27, 2022, 1:47:48 PM3/27/22
to overland-forum
Hi All,

I am in SA for a week and a half hoping to get my SA passport renewed.

I can not make an online appointment as they have my Dubai number, the website says that they can and will send the PIN there but I don't get it. There are lots of other people on the web complaining about the same.The number cant be changed without the PIN. I have tried to contact them over weeks through various means without success. So that avenue has been exhausted.

So I am off to Internal Affairs in Centurion tomorrow morning. I have been told to be there at 05:30 to get a place in the queue. Any tips? Are there offices that are guaranteed to be better ?

Regards,

Willem

Eben Henning

Mar 28, 2022, 2:49:40 AM3/28/22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Willem, unfortunately the system has crumbled to the lowest low.  You will be 15th in that que at 5am, but 10min before the opening time 50 people will walk right past you and join the que with touts queuing for them.  You end up not being served that day.

Best to do is go up to the security guy at the door and ask for a number you can call to get helped quickly. Or if there is a small snacks shop serving those in line, ask them.

Hennie Rautenbach

Mar 28, 2022, 2:59:25 AM3/28/22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Online is the only way without going crazy. Get a local sim card just for the procedure. managed my son's passport a month ago without issue (once they got the system working again). It's a hit & miss affair. ALternatively fly to the Western Cape and go do it here where things still work...

Willem Coetsee (GMAIL)

Mar 28, 2022, 4:04:55 AM3/28/22
to overland-forum
Hi Hennie,

I have a local SIM and a local number. The problem is that they already have my UAE number on the system and you can not change that without being able to log in. In order to log in and change the number you need to receive the pin. Chicken and egg. Online is out, I explored all those possibilities. Some very clever analyst worked out that user journey.

But having said that, I was in the queue at 05:00 this morning, through the gates at 08:00, at 09:00 I was told the system changed and there is now an online "Branch Booking" system (not dependent on the PIN) and that no walk-ins for passports are allowed anymore. Look, there is the poster on the door (that I queued for 4 hours to get to). This kicked in one week ago.

The first available booking on this new system is on ...... 4 March. My flight back is on ...... 4 March. My passport expires in June, I am not allowed back with a passport that expires within 6 months.

The fun and games continue .....

Regards,

Willem

Neale Penman

Mar 28, 2022, 4:11:39 AM3/28/22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Easy tigers, it's not all doom and gloom.

Are you over 60?

My sister and BIL just (ie three weeks ago) did their passports at Randburg HA quite smoothly. They treat the older folk very well and move them to the top of the queue. Randburg also seems to have declared war on the touts and the staff are genuinely helpful. Queues are still an issue though.

Once processed, collection was in less than 10 days. They live in the UK so they could basically do all the admin on the same trip.

My other sister did the same on a trip out here in December. Passport wasn't ready by the time she flew back to the UK  but I could collect it on her behalf using a letter of authority and a passport stamp (in her British passport) proving that she was out of SA.

Now my niece, 25, had to stand in the queue because she made the mistake of registering online using her UK cell number. Just don't do this, use a local number on the site. The other complication is that she doesn't have a SA ID. I assisted her as guardian and the people at HO were very helpful. Still waiting to see how that pans out.

There are many SA's in the UK making sure their RSA citizenship/ passports are up to date. And not just for the convenience of travel. Grass/ Greener etc.

Cheers

Neale

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/overland-forum/CACSV_b_FrPuLyDCpmiq7iwC-aSdzKniA-VbBENCaWnFRvPkLWg%40mail.gmail.com.
--
Neale Penman | Confluence | Research driven strategy | 082 468 6766 | www.confluence.co.za

Willem Coetsee (GMAIL)

Mar 28, 2022, 4:27:38 AM3/28/22
to overland-forum
Hi Neale,

Thanx for telling me it's not all doom and gloom after waiting in a queue for 4 hours to be told to go away. You really cheered me up. Your positive attitude made me forget that I have been mailing them weekly, for four months now, and have a service ticket number for each and every mail. I also feel a lot better seeing your mail after having their call center on the line for 8 hours, on an international call. I will now not feel bad about that bill either. Thanx man.

"Now my niece, 25, had to stand in the queue because she made the mistake of registering online using her UK cell number." Its not a mistake. The web site states that you can register with an international number. Explicitly. Which I did. Now if you Google it, that does not work.

If you did read my message, you will have noticed that I have EXACTLY the problem that you say I luckily do NOT have. They DO have my UAE number, and that CAN NOT be changed. The only helpful bit was the advice about being over 60. Unfortunately I am not. At least that is not all doom and gloom.

You will notice that my original message was quite positive, just asking for a bit of advise. I was quite upbeat. That was till I saw your message telling me how doomy and gloomy I am, and read your advice that I should rather be over 60.

Regards,

Willem

Willem Coetsee (GMAIL)

Mar 28, 2022, 4:42:16 AM3/28/22
to overland-forum
Hi Hennie,

I will contact you off-list to talk about how flying to the Western Cape may help the situation if you don't mind ?

Regards,

Willem

Neale Penman

Mar 28, 2022, 4:43:27 AM3/28/22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Hi Willem

The doom and gloom comment was not directed at you specifically.

I am merely pointing out that not everyone's experiences are as bad as yours.

I do hope you can resolve your issue. Another mate walked into one of the banks HA offices and managed to get assistance without having gone via the web. That was two years ago though.

Keep well

Neale

Willem Coetsee (GMAIL)

Mar 28, 2022, 4:51:54 AM3/28/22
to overland-forum
Hi Neale,

My bank, Investec tried their best, but they are only allowed to work within the "PIN" system, which is not available to me. They can't override it and are also dependent on the same help desk. All-in-all the new system is a pleasure to book.

Booking an appointment using the new system was OK. If anybody is interested, I took a pic of the notice and can send it to you, I see it's on the website also, today. I have other challenges with returning to the UAE now that the passport won't be ready in time and will be looking into Hennie's comment about the Western Cape.

Regards,

Willem

Rudi Coetzee

Mar 28, 2022, 6:25:23 AM3/28/22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Is the option to use the HA desks in selected FNB and Nedbank branches only for the new ID card or can it also be used for passport renewals?

The last time I renewed my passport I paid a travel shop to do it for me but I am not sure if that option still exists?

Cheers
Rudi Coetzee

Neale Penman

Mar 28, 2022, 7:00:17 AM3/28/22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rudi

I think there may be confusion here between two different systems.

The HA Offices that sit in areas within some banks are mini HA outlets
where you can do anything that you would do at a full blown HA centre,
but without the exceptionally long queues and usually via an online
appointment interface. These are staffed by HA officials.  The rationale
for them being located in the bank is that they can piggy back on a high
security area. I've used the one at Killarney Standard bank and  I've
done both ID card and passport renewals there.

Then it seems some banks have HA assistance desks for their customers
who are based overseas, or just as part of their more premium offerings.
These are staffed by Bank people and I don't think they have any special
access privileges but can provide guidance on how to navigate HA.

Then Willem has highlighted a new booking system, online booking with HA
main centre appointment, which also looks promising.

Good luck

Neale

Hennie Rautenbach

Mar 28, 2022, 8:26:08 AM3/28/22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Willem. Sounds like the process at Stellenbosch still works...

Hope this helps.

Regards

Willem Coetsee (GMAIL)

Mar 28, 2022, 9:56:49 AM3/28/22
to overland-forum
Thanx Hennie, any idea what a recent lead time from application / biometrics to passport-in-hand  was ?

BTW, it seems that although the new booking system works very well, somebody forgot that the online payment system must be available for it to work, too. Early days I guess.

Are there any get-togethers anymore ?

Hennie Rautenbach

Mar 28, 2022, 10:06:33 AM3/28/22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Willem the Pretoria chapter regularly get together over a beer...

Willem Coetsee (GMAIL)

Mar 28, 2022, 10:10:22 AM3/28/22
to overland-forum
If there is one (currently) before 6 April, please let me know when and where. I may have another week or two here, who knows .....

 Not sure if the "Boom" or Ridgebacks still exists.

Hennie Rautenbach

Mar 28, 2022, 3:24:32 PM3/28/22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Hennie Rautenbach

Apr 5, 2022, 3:57:32 AM4/5/22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Willem, any luck so far ?

roaming yak

Apr 10, 2022, 12:10:21 PM4/10/22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I've had similar problems with regards to not getting SMS messages when overseas etc. They treat it as spam. It was pretty easy to fix at least with a UK SIM card:

Phone your mobile phone/sim card company, tell them you are not getting SMS messages from SA that you need - they should be able to stop blocking SMS messages from certain countries or even better certain numbers within countries if you can provide them this (ie: you expecting a SMS from 88555 in SA so they will let it through).

If that doesn't work, phone the SA company you are roaming with and try it again with them...
Worked for me in the past a few times.

Hennie Rautenbach

Jul 13, 2022, 3:04:49 AM7/13/22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Willem - curious how this worked out in the end ?

Regards

Willem Coetsee (GMAIL)

Jul 13, 2022, 9:47:53 AM7/13/22
to overland-forum
Hi Hennie,

I don't want to talk about it, it hurts too much ;-)

Suffice to say it took 4 weeks and numerous visits to Centurion Internal Affairs.

The passport was out of print, and despatched to Centurion within 4 days of successful application and exactly 1 week after fruitlessly and needlessly queuing to apply the first time.

It took Centurion 3,5 weeks and 4 visits to hand it over. It is broken, beyond repair.

I think once the new system (that came into effect the day I applied)  is fully in place, it may be better. My advice to any applicants :

The new system works. Choose an Internal Affairs office where the guy in charge doesn't drive a Maserati. It takes a lot of misplaced passports to pay for that car .......

Regards,

Willem

Hennie Rautenbach

Jul 13, 2022, 1:16:43 PM7/13/22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Sean Steyn

Jul 14, 2022, 1:57:41 AM7/14/22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I’ve used Bronkhorstspruit for all our applications. The team lead runs a tight ship, service is great.
Pre-Covid there was hardly a wait. The last time I was there, queues were horrendous but once inside it went well.

Hennie Rautenbach

Jul 14, 2022, 2:38:22 AM7/14/22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Nothing beats doing it through an appointment at a bank...

steyn...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2022, 4:16:13 AM7/14/22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Agreed, the first day queue tested our mettle, however I could not get an appointment at the bank within the timeframe (accounts with both Standard & FNB). Complicated by Rhona having to present herself to the SA consulate in London who mailed home affairs in Bronkies.

The supervisor was excellent. I was able to arrange that I collect Timothy’s 2nd passport whilst he was already in the UK (legally). Trust me, getting second passport for a minor without Mommy present can be challenging. We also applied for his ID & my 2nd passport – all came through in record time.

Out of gratitude, I offered to buy a case of Cokes for the staff – he politely refused on the grounds that it would be unethical.. This man gets my vote!

Jul 20, 2022, 6:53:23 AM7/20/22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Hennie, but if I make the delay longer the file size gets quite large.

gregg

Gregg Howard

Jul 20, 2022, 6:54:23 AM7/20/22
to overlan...@googlegroups.com