Question for Radio Operators and clever oaks :)

Bruce Turner

Nov 5, 2021, 8:59:44 AM11/5/21
to overland-forum
Hi All,

I need to fit a new vhf 2m antenna to my Landy. I bought a Zara 130 and now need to trim it but for the life of me I can’t remember the lengths it needs to be.

Can anyone help with the formula please? I would like a quarter wave antenna for ham frequencies and a second for ORRA frequencies.

Thank you,

Rgds
BruceT

Louis Jooste

Nov 5, 2021, 9:34:19 AM11/5/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce

It is better to use a SWR meter.

‪Pierre Radley‬

Nov 5, 2021, 9:38:29 AM11/5/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce..... This is in my archives.

Thx

Pierre

--
Screenshot_20211105_153638.jpg

‪Pierre Radley‬

Nov 5, 2021, 9:42:09 AM11/5/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Google is your friend 😝.  Lots of nifty calcultors available on www which will work it out to the precise length for the specific frequency 🤠

Nov 5, 2021, 10:00:16 AM11/5/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Louis and Pierre.

Agree Louis but don’t want to buy one for one use

Pierre what are you searching on google?

Thank you
Rgds
BruceT

‪Pierre Radley‬

Nov 5, 2021, 10:31:18 AM11/5/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce

Frequency calculator

Thx Pierre

Nov 5, 2021, 11:29:15 AM11/5/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Great antenna. Don’t guess like that. Get some with a VSWR meter to set it up.

Bruce Turner

Nov 5, 2021, 11:55:41 AM11/5/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
You right Mike but although I am a ham I don’t know what I’m doing.😂

Anyone have any suggestions where I can buy one or does anyone have one for sale?

Thanks all for the replies

Rgds
BruceT

Francois Visagie

Nov 5, 2021, 2:18:00 PM11/5/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Be careful of blindly applying calculations to cut your new antenna. J

Because some antennas have base-loading coils, physical length may not correspond to desired electrical length.

In other words, frequency vs. physical length conversion may very well be antenna-specific.

Get yourself sorted either with a lookup chart specific to your antenna, or using a VSWR meter.

HTH,

François Visagie

Mobile  +44 (7624) 321682

Email      francois...@gmail.com

image001.png
image002.png

Mike Lauterbach

Nov 20, 2021, 9:20:12 AM11/20/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce

What mods did you do to your daughter's Jimny?  Asking since we just
sold our camper, and are getting a Jimny in the interim as a runaround
and plaything.

Did you do any suspension upgrades since you fitted a RTT?  Wheel spacers?

Cheers
Mike

Derrick Slogrove

Nov 20, 2021, 9:26:47 AM11/20/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

I found the standard suspension to be very soft and floppy when loaded, even without a RTT.

Fitted Des Sol 50mm suspension lift and spacers which made a huge difference even unloaded. The springs are firmer and the shocks are much better quality. Cross winds don't affect the car nearly as much now.

Regards

Derrick

20210616_153344.jpg
20210616_153451.jpg

Mike Lauterbach

Nov 20, 2021, 10:01:10 AM11/20/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks

I believe that cross winds do affect stability, especially when overtaking truck in a cross wind.

How often do you check your spacers?  I believe that if you use decent locktite and correct torqueing that this is not an issue

Cheers
Mike

Bruce Turner

Nov 20, 2021, 2:42:08 PM11/20/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

We did no mods. We also got the Eezi Awn Roof top tent which only weighs 39kgs and is only fitted when traveling.
It is much better than the old Jimny and don’t find it unstable at all. Obviously you feel it like on any vehicle but not dangerous at all.

Rgds
BruceT

Mike Lauterbach

Nov 21, 2021, 1:42:08 AM11/21/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bruce

Looking forward to driving ours - ordered it without ever having driven
one.  BTW, it will be the same colour as your daughter's Jimny :)  When
my wife saw your video, she stated that ours will be that colour...

Cheers
Mike

Bruce Turner

Nov 21, 2021, 1:56:33 AM11/21/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Awesome Mike.

I honestly didn’t like the colour when I first saw it but it’s grown on me and I now think it’s the best colour for a Jimny.

My daughter and her boyfriend, just did a trip down to Struis Bay doing a route I loaded on her GPS. They had an awesome time.

I received the attached picture from her say “it’s all your fault😂” - due to the dirt/mud 😂

All the best with it and I wish you many miles of smiles.

Rgds
BruceT

Mike Lauterbach

Nov 21, 2021, 2:05:53 AM11/21/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Cool picture, glad she's hooked.

It will be a change using this "dinky toy" coming from Defenders and
Discos, and the bigger Iveco Daily 4x4....

Cheers
Mike

On 21/11/21 8:56 am, Bruce Turner wrote:
> Awesome Mike.
>
> I honestly didn’t like the colour when I first saw it but it’s grown
> on me and I now think it’s the best colour for a Jimny.
>
> My daughter and her boyfriend, just did a trip down to Struis Bay
> doing a route I loaded on her GPS. They had an awesome time.
>
> I received the attached picture from her say “it’s all your fault😂” -
> due to the dirt/mud 😂

Marc Hall

Nov 21, 2021, 3:09:44 AM11/21/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mike, I’m surprised to hear of you selling the camper.
May I ask what pushed you to this decision. Was it the work required/ cost or just a directional change?

Marc

mh...

Mike Lauterbach

Nov 21, 2021, 10:35:11 PM11/21/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marc

Work and family matters prevented us from taking any leave longer than
long weekends the last few years, and then health matters arose,
prompting us to sell.  We only managed 10,000km in the last 4 years, and
most of these were from driving up to Jhg for further
modifications/upgrades.

Will reassess plans in the future again

Cheers
Mike

zs6...@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2021, 11:21:52 AM12/2/21
to overland-forum
Hi Bruce, have you maintained your Ham Licence? Be great to hear you soon. FYI I'm teaching CW Morse Code if you are interested.

Regards Mike ZS6MSW

Bruce Turner

Dec 2, 2021, 10:47:45 PM12/2/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike.
My licence is still paid up but haven’t ever really been a practicing ham.

Rgds
BruceT