Slightly off topic: Renault Duster

Stuart Carliell

Apr 30, 2024, 8:04:34 AMApr 30
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

Slightly off topic but perhaps not entirely not overland related,  I have been Overlanding around South America for the last 3 years and will sometime later this year for a holiday.  The journey is not over (we are currently sitting in Colombia waiting to ship across the Darrian gap to Mexico) but are seriously missing ZA and family.

When we do that I will be looking to purchase a vehicle for running around and a bit of touring in ZA, current thoughts are for a 2nd hand Renault Duster.

I remember on the forum some years ago many people raving about the vehicle, do people still consider it a good car and what about older models (parts availability, cost of repairs, years/models to avoid, etc).

Many thanks
Stuart

Mike Nieuwoudt

Apr 30, 2024, 9:17:36 AMApr 30
to overland-forum
Hi Stuart, you can try reading up here
Several threads on Dusters

Jeff Morris

May 1, 2024, 4:00:35 AMMay 1
to overland-forum
I took delivery of a new Duster 4x4 diesel in January 2018 and it has been a pleasure ever since. This was a downsize from a 4x4 Raider Double cab after the chickens flew the coop. The deeper, the softer, the dryer the sand is, the better! Absolutely unstoppable. It is not as happy on jagged rocky tracks as there is no low range. Creeping forward at walking speed can be challenging when the revs drop too low.

The tyres that were fitted were rubbish and all (including the full-size spare) were replaced within the first 5000km. Apart from normal wear and tear items, I have had very little trouble. The turbo went at about 90000km but was replaced under warranty. I am on my 3rd set of rear shocks. The experts say it is because I overload on long expeditions and 'bottomed-out'. I routinely take out the back seats to make space for camping stuff and this might be possible.

I can't comment on the availability of genuine spares. The turbo replacement had to be imported (3 weeks) and Renault didn't have rear shocks in the country so I went for 3rd-party ones. I have been inside four Renault workshops and my only advice is make sure you find a reputable one. Three of the four I visited were shocking, both equipment-wise and technician-wise.

Earlier this year I thought of donating my Duster to a child and getting a later model. It seems that imports of the 4x4 stopped in 2019 so I could only get a one year newer model. Looking at various second-hand car websites it quickly became clear that there are very few of these in circulation. There were only four on the WeBuyCars site. So, I have decided to stick with what I have and look after it. 121 000km done and still going well @ 6.2l/100km, if I drive carefully.

You are welcome to contact me if you have more questions.

Manfred Bollner

May 1, 2024, 11:19:27 AMMay 1
to overland-forum
Stuart, I had the same question in Namibia concerning the Duster. Unfortunately Renault stopped the import, no idea why. In Europe they are still very popular and in production.  An alternative might be the Suzuki Jimny in the 3- or 5-door configuration. Obviously for purists which drive nothing below the Cruiser, they are no alternative.

Stuart Carliell

May 3, 2024, 2:11:48 AMMay 3
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jeff and Manfred for your input too.

As for the purists comment, haha - fortunately I drive a Defender.  Lately we also made an interesting observation: outside of the Voetspore team we know of more South African Land Rover owners doing the so called Pan American route than Toyota owners - some fuel for a campfire somewhere…

Stuart Carliell

May 3, 2024, 2:11:48 AMMay 3
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mike, will have a look