Defender TD5 head

Jurgens Steyn

Jul 3, 2024, 11:46:42 AMJul 3
to overland-forum
Hi all.

im reaching out to all the Defender TD5 owners

has anyone had a cracked head before? and where to repair it or get another head.
symptoms are overheating when driving around 40km

and I believe its either a warped head or a crack

how it happened is, the water pump failed, and the engine overheated. so its most likely a cracked head.

I couldn't see any oil in the water or vice versa, so leaking happens under a lot of pressure

thanks.

Jurgens

et...@yebo.co.za

Jul 4, 2024, 3:51:43 AMJul 4
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jurgens

I had a similar issue after my turbo blew.  Fortunately, the crack on my Td5 head was repairable by the stitching process.  I sold my vehicle since. The new owner (from Germany) has done a few km (Kruger Park/Botswana) since and has reported no issues.  I just need to dig out who did the repair Roodepoort/Krugerdorp).

HenryT

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Walter Ortell

Jul 11, 2024, 4:56:50 AMJul 11
to overland-forum
`Try Components for Africa in Krugersdorp for new, used and reconditioned heads.
011 953 4580
Physical Address:
Factories 1 to 8
3 Drill Street
Boltonia
Krugersdorp
GPS: S 26.06 293″ / E 27.45 468″
https://componentsforafrica.co.za/

Jurgens Steyn

Jul 11, 2024, 4:56:50 AMJul 11
to overland-forum
The head was inspected today and confirmed crack the head (cyl 1), has a air leak into the cooling passages,

should be able to be fixed though.

Gerrie Scheepers

Jul 11, 2024, 4:56:51 AMJul 11
to overland-forum
Hi Jurgens
I had a simular issue previously. And the problem I had was dumping diesel in the sump as the Crack were in the area of the injectors. Had it at a a well known place in Pretoria that could not repair and eventually had to take it to land-rover. For a similar problem I would advise the same.

Gerrie Scheepers

Jurgens Steyn

Jul 17, 2024, 2:36:52 AM (10 days ago) Jul 17
to overland-forum
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies!

so just an update, so once the actual test was done on the head, (and not just observing by diesel mechs) the test showed that there were no cracks, which is great.

and the gasket was the problem, we got lucky here.

the head was skimmed, new gasket was purchased, piston rings and bearings, as well as valve stem seals was replaced.

almost a complete overhaul was done on the engine, its being assembled this weekend.

will update results.

thank you,

Jurgens