R.I.P Wouter Brand

Hennie Rautenbach

Jun 14, 2024, 12:44:00 PMJun 14
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I regret to inform this community of the untimely passing of a dear friend and founder of Tracks 4 Africa... 😢😢😢

Brian McMahon

Jun 14, 2024, 12:46:48 PMJun 14
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

RIP Wouter, you will be sadly missed We are all glad to have known you.

Regards,

Brian McMahon

Brian...@gmail.com

+44 743 601 7149

17 Phyllis Courtnage House

Smithfield

Hemel Hempstead

HP2 5YN

Uli

Jun 14, 2024, 1:23:47 PMJun 14
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Thank you, Hennie. That is sad news, and I offer my condolences to his family and friends.

Uli

I regret to inform this community of the untimely passing of a dear friend and founder of Tracks 4 Africa... 😢😢😢

Darryl Lampert

Jun 14, 2024, 2:01:00 PMJun 14
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
That’s very sad, rest in peace Wouter. Condolences to the family.

Deon Strydom

Jun 14, 2024, 2:18:55 PMJun 14
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for letting us know Hennie.  Wouter was special in more ways than one! Still remember him “coaching”me in how to do “proper” data submissions for T4A.  ;-)

Bessie, all our condolences
Deon

Sent from my iPad

On 14 Jun 2024, at 18:44, Hennie Rautenbach <hennie.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

I regret to inform this community of the untimely passing of a dear friend and founder of Tracks 4 Africa... 😢😢😢

Darryl Lampert

Jun 14, 2024, 2:57:13 PMJun 14
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
The early days of tracks4africa

On Fri, 14 Jun 2024 at 18:44, Hennie Rautenbach <hennie.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
I regret to inform this community of the untimely passing of a dear friend and founder of Tracks 4 Africa... 😢😢😢

Peter Levey

Jun 14, 2024, 2:58:51 PMJun 14
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Such sad news. Condolences to his family.

Peter Levey

On Fri, 14 Jun 2024 at 18:44, Hennie Rautenbach <hennie.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
I regret to inform this community of the untimely passing of a dear friend and founder of Tracks 4 Africa... 😢😢😢

Mike Lauterbach

Jun 14, 2024, 3:19:47 PMJun 14
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
RIP, Wouter

This is a shock.  Far too early.  Maybe you will see late Swambo...

Condolences to Bessie, family and friends.

Mike

On 14/06/24 18:43, Hennie Rautenbach wrote:
I regret to inform this community of the untimely passing of a dear friend and founder of Tracks 4 Africa... 😢😢😢

grahambowring2

Jun 14, 2024, 5:16:20 PMJun 14
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
So sad, Wouter was a real giant among men.

A visionary with immense drive to shoot for the stars.

Who can forget Wouter's "gentle" teaching re the correct method to create waypoints or how he knew that you didn't really even slow down let alone stop to create the waypoint...

 RIP Wouter, our thoughts are with Hester, Bessie & other family.

Graham B

Jun 15, 2024, 1:47:40 AMJun 15
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Wow! Blast from the past there Darryl...

Sean Steyn

Jun 15, 2024, 2:15:28 AMJun 15
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Another fallen too soon.

The Tracks for Africa initiative was a significant contribution to the overland community.

We all had fun while benefitting from learning new skills, collective contribution, making new friends and getting out there.

My deepest condolences to Bess, his family, and all who knew him.

Sean

Very best regards
Sean Steyn
+44 7542 444748

It went back a lot earlier as we used his “map” and co-ords for our Angola trip in 2003. I remember submitting the first maps for the Richtersveld National Park and several others. Good memories and as others have said a visionary guy.

Regards,
Darryl

On Fri, 14 Jun 2024, 8:57 pm Darryl Lampert <darryl....@gmail.com> wrote:
The early days of tracks4africa

<Snapseed.jpeg>

Errol Peinke

Jun 15, 2024, 7:42:04 AMJun 15
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Condolences to Bessie and family
Sent from my iPhone

Errol Peinke

Jun 15, 2024, 9:03:40 AMJun 15
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Condolences to Bessie and family

Manfred Bollner

Jun 16, 2024, 4:25:59 AMJun 16
to overland-forum
Sad news. What does it mean for T4A?

Mike Nieuwoudt

Jun 17, 2024, 9:15:37 AMJun 17
to overland-forum
It is indeed sad, he was an interesting man with an awesome outlook on the world and life. RIP Wouter.

Hennie Rautenbach

Jun 18, 2024, 3:08:51 AMJun 18
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
The T4A operations were handed over (sold?) to Johann Groenewald a few years ago and are still going strong...

Wilde Beest (Beesty)

Jun 18, 2024, 6:27:55 AMJun 18
to overland-forum
I'm so sorry to hear the news of Wouter's passing...thoughts and prayers are with Bessie and the family.

I first started exchanging emails with Wouter from the UK back in 2003...many late night conversations over the best track logger to use,  how best to name a crossroads waypoint in Namibia...etc etc, not to mention which vehicle to use :-).  I then had the opportunity to meet him and staff at the T4A office during the British Lions tour in 2009, and also many members of this group in Pretoria.

Wouter was a pioneer of the modern world, who changed so many people's thinking of how best to map what, at the time, was, even in the modern age, unmappable properly.  Bye bye Wouter.

Jeff Morris

Jun 18, 2024, 8:22:35 AMJun 18
to overland-forum
Even though I never met you, RIP, Wouter and thanks for my pan! https://tracks4africa.co.za/listings/item/w209862/jeff-morris-pan/

Hennie Rautenbach

Jun 18, 2024, 9:39:50 AMJun 18
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
It is not clear from your email address who you are?

Hannes Van Rensburg

Jun 18, 2024, 11:00:31 AMJun 18
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
The last time I saw Wouter - Overland/T4A get together 2013
RIP

--
Hannes van Rensburg
0832308191

Willem Coetsee (GMAIL)

Jun 19, 2024, 1:34:34 AMJun 19
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Sad news indeed. T4A and Wouter contributed a lot to our early forays into places unknown. I can remember when we submitted any new tracks to Wouter personally and then received the inevitable "uitk@k" mail about how it should be done.

He saw the power of harnessing the community before anybody else even dreamt about crowdsourcing. More importantly, he made it work for all of us.

Best wishes to his real family, and also to the vast extended family.

Regards,

Willem

swissno...@yahoo.com

Jun 23, 2024, 10:06:39 AMJun 23
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Our sincere condolences to Coenie and Bessi and the rest of the family.

Wouter left a big legacy for us Africa travellers, and in good hand for the future.
We met him e few twice and a was in contact a few more.

Ein Bild, das draußen, Person, Gras, Fahrzeug enthält.

Automatisch generierte Beschreibung

Greetings

Emanuel Berger

Kirchmattstrasse 2