Re: [Overland] Digest for overland-forum@googlegroups.com - 6 updates in 2 topics

Graham Everett

Oct 29, 2021, 4:24:17 AM10/29/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I think you have travelling in the bush for a few years , you should know not to approach eles & surely a bit of negative news shouldn't put us of? There have been a couple of people killed in Maramba River Lodge & another just outside, but it won't put me off staying there again. Although next year I shall be taking my grandchildren, so will be warning them again st running around.

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021, 5:40 am , <overlan...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Eben Henning <cust...@gmail.com>: Oct 28 07:29AM +0200

We were chased by ellies in Gona in 2019 and the following hilux behild us
got rearranged by a young bull.
They are extremely agro in Gona and those mopani thickets are super nervous
to drive as you have zero chance of turning around or getting away.

EbenH.

Bruce Turner <bjtu...@gmail.com>: Oct 28 08:05AM +0200

Not to disagree at all but this is the first incident this chap has experienced in 22 years of visiting the park. I have experienced two charges in Kruger and I’ve only been there about 5 or 6 times so as a ratio Kruger for me is more dangerous. On hunters a mate of mine had the same experience about 3 weeks ago where he was literally chased by an elephant for about a km he said and again when he was in the Moremi. So I think it happens all over and as in any wildlife area you have to be careful and sometimes its the luck of the draw.

I also think that these sorts of stories can get out of hand and actually do more harm than good for the areas and already struggling parks concerned. I have already had several people telling me I am mad for going to Gonarezhou as two people died there about a year and a half ago and because of this elephant incident. (The two people that died had driven into a tree in the park and it is still unknown why as far as I know - maybe they were running away from something or maybe just rushing to get back to camp before it was dark, I don’t know).

Out of interest how many people here have been to Gonarezhou, how many times and how many times have you been charged or worse?

Rgds
BruceT

Walter Ortell <chunky...@gmail.com>: Oct 28 12:17AM -0700

My uncle was visiting KNP with my aunt, driving a Valiant station wagon,
this would have been back in the 60' or 70's when the park was still all
dirt roads. They came across some Ellies crossing the road and my uncle
leaned out the passenger window to film them on his Super 8 camera, who can
still remember those? While he was filming they were charged by one of the
Ellies and my aunt started to reverse while my uncle, the mad German,
continued to film. He said he could actually see, through the lens, as the
elephant's foot started to descend towards the bonnet, narrowly missing as
the car slid away. They managed to escape and when they returned to
Johannesburg he sent the film away for developing. When the film was
returned the footage of the charge was missing and he was told that the
film was blank. He speculated that someone at the lab either stole the
footage or that they were under orders from the government to 'cover up'
negative news about Kruger from reaching the outside world. Would have been
awesome to see.

Cheers
Walter
On Thursday, 28 October 2021 at 08:06:04 UTC+2 BruceT wrote:

Hannes Thirion <hannes....@gmail.com>: Oct 28 03:27PM +0200

Bruce wrote: 'Out of interest how many people here have been to
Gonarezhou, how many times and how many times have you been charged or
worse?'

Gona is still on my go to list, but I have been charged by elephants many
times in Kruger and once in Hlane in Swaziland. I had no elephant charges
or aggressiveness in Kruger the past 2 weeks.
None of the many elephants that I encountered in Tanzania charged. I have
been told that they are far less aggressive.
Regards,
Hannes Thirion

Mike Slater <mozg...@gmail.com>: Oct 28 05:16PM +0200

Been to Gonarezhou five times over the past 15 years. Last trip in 2019.

Iver the years the elephants have become less nervous and we have had a
number of occasions to back out when they look un happy.

Move away at the first sign of discomfort. Don't try to sneak past, rather
wait around a corner, go back or take a detour.

Gona elephants are still traumatised.

On Thursday, 28 October 2021, Hannes Thirion <hannes....@gmail.com>
wrote:

--
"Alla fin del gioco tanto va nel sacco il Re quanto la pedina."

Best wishes

Mike Slater

Join me in amazing Mozambique:
http://www.mozguide.com/index.php/about/about/custom-trips-and-tours
Eben Henning <cust...@gmail.com>: Oct 28 07:21AM +0200

I'm going 13th Nov so if you guys have any follow up questions I can table
them to the unsuspecting presenter :-)

Mike

Oct 29, 2021, 4:57:07 AM10/29/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

I have also been to Gona, and they said it was due to the poaching that the Ellies became so aggro. (Bush war was there in the early 80’s ??)

We had a game-ranger with us, and so we were able to avoid most of them but we had to put foot occasionally where we crossed an area where they could see us, but were far away.

M2