Re: [Overland] Digest for overland-forum@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Graham Everett

Sep 13, 2021, 5:48:30 AM9/13/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I cannot comment on the Hunters road either , but what I will say is "Elephant Sands " needs to rethink its name. As the last I was there all the new lodges built around the water had certainly put of the elephants. People were standing on the verandas pointing at incoming elephants & they turned round & left very few turned up on my last visit. Very disappointing, we saw more elephants crossing the road  between Pandamatenga & Nata.
Graham

On Mon, 13 Sept 2021 at 04:39, <overlan...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Bruce Turner <bjtu...@gmail.com>: Sep 12 10:46AM +0200

Hi All,

What is the latest info regarding hunters road especially entering from
just north of Elephant Sands please?

Thank you,

Rgds
BruceT
grahambowring2 <grahamb...@gmail.com>: Sep 12 07:39PM +1000

Can't help you Bruce but it brings back great memories of a Hunters Road trip 10 years ago. We had planned to enter the road at Nata but the gate was padlocked. Second choice we used the Hunters Road access track about 10km north of Nata marked on T4A as an "elephant path".  It was completely overgrown and we lost the trail several times. Even where the path was obvious we struggled and were bogged many times.After being bogged again ( often) along Hunters Road when we entered Chobe we discovered our rental Hilux had lost both front axles.  Best guess they fell out somewhere between Kubu & Gweta.  Oops!!!  So many fantastic memories, would love to be back there this year!Graham Bowring
-------- Original message --------From: Bruce Turner <bjtu...@gmail.com> Date: 12/9/21 6:46 pm (GMT+10:00) To: overland-forum <overlan...@googlegroups.com> Subject: [Overland] Hunters Road Hi All,What is the latest info regarding hunters road especially entering from just north of Elephant Sands please?Thank you,RgdsBruceT

grahambowring2

Sep 13, 2021, 6:13:59 AM9/13/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Senyati just out of Kasane is worth a night. We camped there in 2016 but the lodges were OK too.  Great bar overlooking the waterhole plus an underground viewing hide that puts you very close to the water hole without animals being disturbed.

Graham Bowring

Jeff Morris

Sep 20, 2021, 2:15:30 AM9/20/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jean,
My opinion - go mirrorless. I have a FujiFilm Xt3 and three lenses. Max is 70-200 zoom so I can't do birds but don't have the need. There is a stronger zoom available.

I am very happy with my setup. Probably cost R60k to replace with new kit but I have some nice-to-haves.

My favourite supplier is Outdoorphoto in Pretoria.

Jeff W Morris

On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 5:39 AM <overlan...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Jean Struweg <jean.s...@gmail.com>: Sep 19 03:33PM +0200

Hi Gents

I have been asked for advice by a friend who wants to take up photography,
specifically wildlife. Budget is not a major limiting factor, but let's say
he will be happy to spend up to around R40k and he does not mind buying
second hand.

My kit predates 2010 and my setup has not changed in over ten years, so I
am a bit out of touch with what's happening out there.

Given this my advice might also be out of date, but I was thinking a good
option would be to get a second hand mid range SLR body (Canon 7d maybe)
and pair it with a 100-400mm Canon to start with for wildlife.This should
suit his budget.if I se what these options go for on Outdoorphoto's
classifieds.

I am excluding mirrorless, because I know very little about them. Not sure
if full frame might be a better option in the long run?

Am I missing something like the size of memory cards / wifi enabled
cameras, or if it has become mandatory to also include post processing
software (and hardware?)

What do the gurus say? What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Jean
<james...@gmail.com>: Sep 19 06:02PM +0200

Hi Jean,

I am not a photography but took some friends and family to Camera Tek in Strijdom Park and Greg, partner, was very knowledgeable and helpful. They also rent equipment which may be an option to try different models. Obviously depends on where he stays

Kind regards

James

Graham Everett

Sep 20, 2021, 4:56:25 AM9/20/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I belong to a wildlife photography club, & I use a Nikon D800.  There are only 3 of us that use Nikons ( so maybe I'm not the right person to reply) as all the rest were Canon users. But over the last 2 years over 50% of them have now gone over to Olympus, I have no idea which model but they are all very enthusiastic  talking about how light weight it is etc.