Any known problems with the Toyota D4D 3.0l Diesel engine

Neels Muller

Jan 4, 2013, 12:10:00 AM1/4/13
to overland-forum
Hi,
I am looking at swapping my old KZTE for an Fortuner with the D4D motor, is there any known proplems with the D4D motor, the car has done 140k kilometers.

Thanks

Neels

Marius Liebenberg

Jan 4, 2013, 12:27:38 AM1/4/13
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Neels, it is still a new motor :). If serviced correctly, it will last for a long time without any problems. Always idle the motor for a minute or two before switching off to give the turbo some time to cool down.

4x4's and other stuff for sale:
http://www.overland.co.za/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=2

--
Regards / Groete

Marius D. Liebenberg
MasterCut cc
Cel: +27 82 698 3251
Tel: +27 12 743 6064
Fax: +27 86 551 8029
Skype: marius_d.liebenberg
Skype Meâ„¢!
Get Skype and call me for free.

Virus Database (VPS): 130103-1, 2013/01/03
Tested on: 2013/01/04 07:27:41 AM

Mike Nieuwoudt

Jan 4, 2013, 12:55:28 AM1/4/13
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Diesel quality can affect the injectors. Have them checked out, and replace when worn, engine depends on it. That is only caveat I've heard of.

Bill Davis - BIS

Jan 4, 2013, 1:43:15 AM1/4/13
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

I know of 3 owners that had to have the Water pump replaced at about 180 k. Else nothing else.

4x4's and other stuff for sale:
http://www.overland.co.za/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=2

Disclaimer and Confidentiality Note

This communication, its attachments, if any, and any rights attaching to it are, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, the property of The South African Breweries Proprietary Limited (SAB). It is confidential, private and intended for the addressee only.

If you are not the addressee and receive this communication by error, please notify the sender, dispose of this communication immediately and do not disclose or use it in any manner whatsoever. Any views and opinions expressed in this communication are those of the sender. SAB accepts no liability for any loss or damages whatsoever, and howsoever incurred or suffered, resulting or arising from the use of this communication and/or its attachments.

SAB does not warrant the integrity of this communication or that it is free of errors, viruses, interception or interference.

For more information about SAB, visit our website at http://www.sab.co.za

Geoff Hill

Jan 4, 2013, 2:14:35 AM1/4/13
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Only problem I’ve heard of is early ones having injector problems which can be pricey to replace.

The supposed cure for long term injector health is regular diesel filter changes which apparently wasn’t part of the service requirement on the early ones. I believe that has now changed.

Geoff

Jan 4, 2013, 2:34:56 AM1/4/13
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
My former company operated a fleet of single & double cab 2.5 D4Ds without complaint. I have had both the 2.5 D/C & 3.0 Fortuner, the latter digests a lot of fuel from Bots & Zim bulk fuel. The filter warning has come on twice, I clean it & life goes on.
 The Fortuner remains my first choice, it offers great value for money compared to other SUVs.

Very best regards,
Sean Steyn
(Sent from my mobile)

Emanuel Berger

Jan 4, 2013, 3:44:17 AM1/4/13
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Emanuel Berger

www.nelson2africa.blogspot.com

Sats Oosthuizen

Jan 4, 2013, 5:38:17 AM1/4/13
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Speed fines.

Marius Liebenberg

Jan 4, 2013, 6:12:19 AM1/4/13
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Ooohhh yes I second that.

--
Regards / Groete

Marius D. Liebenberg
MasterCut cc
Cel: +27 82 698 3251
Tel: +27 12 743 6064
Fax: +27 86 551 8029
Skype: marius_d.liebenberg
Skype Meâ„¢!
Get Skype and call me for free.

Virus Database (VPS): 130103-1, 2013/01/03

Tested on: 2013/01/04 01:12:20 PM

emanue...@gmx.ch

Jan 4, 2013, 7:20:58 AM1/4/13
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the previus posting,I have no Toyota but a new Samsung SIII and battling with it 😊

Emanuel Berger

Neels Muller

Jan 4, 2013, 7:28:11 AM1/4/13
to overland-forum
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Ta
Neels
Neels

Sean Steyn

Jan 4, 2013, 9:58:26 AM1/4/13
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
:-) new phones cause much embarrassment..

Very best regards,
Sean Steyn
(Sent from my mobile)

Sean Steyn

Jan 4, 2013, 9:59:44 AM1/4/13
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Great fuel consumption too..

Very best regards,
Sean Steyn
(Sent from my mobile)

Mike Lauterbach

Jan 4, 2013, 10:17:06 AM1/4/13
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
What is great consumption?

My� business partner has a double cab hilux D4D, and gets around 8km/l, same as my tdi which carries at least half a ton permanently

Cheers
Mike

On 04/01/13 16:59, Sean Steyn wrote:
Great fuel consumption too..

Very best regards,
Sean Steyn
(Sent from my mobile)

On 04 Jan 2013, at 1:12 PM, Marius Liebenberg <mar...@mastercut.co.za> wrote:

Ooohhh yes I second that.

On 2013/01/04 12:38 PM, Sats Oosthuizen wrote:
Speed fines.�

�

4x4's and other stuff for sale:
http://www.overland.co.za/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=2
--
Regards / Groete

Marius D. Liebenberg
MasterCut cc
Cel: +27 82 698 3251
Tel: +27 12 743 6064
Fax: +27 86 551 8029
Skype: marius_d.liebenberg
Skype Me�!
Get Skype and call me for free.

Virus Database (VPS): 130103-1, 2013/01/03
Tested on: 2013/01/04 01:12:20 PM

�

Sean Steyn

Jan 4, 2013, 10:56:05 AM1/4/13
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
The Fortuner gets about 11.4 to 11.8km/l far better than the DC which got about 9. Neither were permanently loaded.

Very best regards,
Sean Steyn
(Sent from my mobile)