Duster 4x4 tyres

Jeff Morris

Oct 16, 2021, 4:38:28 AM10/16/21
to overland-forum
Hello all, some advice please! I do a bit of light 4x4 driving. There is nothing better than my Duster on sand!  I don't want macho knobbly tyres!

My Duster came out with Scorpio tyres which had very thin sidewalls. They could not cope with our potholes and I lost a few.

Moved on to Yoko Geolandars from TWT which gave excellent service but now need replacing. Out of stock until Feb 2022 so not an option.

Lesson number 1 - buy tyres that are readily available in the smaller joints of SA.

I have quotes from my favourite dealer (not TWT).
Goodyear Wrangler 215 70 16 T GY AT ADV XL 104T
Dunlop Grandtrek 215 65 16 H AT5 98H
Continental Conti cross 215 65 16 H ATR 98H
All three seem to be readily available although the Goodyears seem to be made for one of the Ford bakkies and not much else.

I had wonderful service with Wranglers on my Toyota's.

The Wranglers are '70' where I now have '65'. Apparently this will lift clearance an inch which is not a bad idea but what are the disadvantages?

Any discussion and suggestions welcome.
Jeff

Mike Nieuwoudt

Oct 21, 2021, 3:10:31 AM10/21/21
to overland-forum
70 profile will increase rolling radius (and clearances) only by about 11 mm over 65 profiles, so should not be an issue (difference in profile height is 215*0.05=10.75mm).
You can also look at General Grabber At3 tyres, locally made in PE and 215/65R16 is listed size.

Jeff Morris

Oct 21, 2021, 10:28:04 AM10/21/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mike,
Thank you.

I got 215-70's Goodyear Wranglers fitted today but the gap between the tread and body at one particular turn angle was less than 1mm. Picking up a stone in the tread would destroy the plastic mudguard inner in no time.

The very helpful guys at TyreMart took them off and mounted 65's Conti ATRs. I am happier that way.

Best wishes,

Jeff W Morris