Re: [Overland] Digest for overland-forum@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Graham Everett

May 2, 2024, 8:16:40 AMMay 2
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Although you guys call them Renault Dusters, they are not manufactured in France as other Renault vehicles. They are  built in Romania, & marketed them here in Europe under the Dacia badge. They sell them alongside Renaults, at Renault dealerships. And are very popular, as they are very cheap.

On Thu, 2 May 2024, 4:39 am , <overlan...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Jeff Morris <jeffw...@gmail.com>: May 01 01:00AM -0700

I took delivery of a new Duster 4x4 diesel in January 2018 and it has been
a pleasure ever since. This was a downsize from a 4x4 Raider Double cab
after the chickens flew the coop. The deeper, the softer, the dryer the
sand is, the better! Absolutely unstoppable. It is not as happy on jagged
rocky tracks as there is no low range. Creeping forward at walking speed
can be challenging when the revs drop too low.

The tyres that were fitted were rubbish and all (including the full-size
spare) were replaced within the first 5000km. Apart from normal wear and
tear items, I have had very little trouble. The turbo went at about 90000km
but was replaced under warranty. I am on my 3rd set of rear shocks. The
experts say it is because I overload on long expeditions and
'bottomed-out'. I routinely take out the back seats to make space for
camping stuff and this might be possible.

I can't comment on the availability of genuine spares. The turbo
replacement had to be imported (3 weeks) and Renault didn't have rear
shocks in the country so I went for 3rd-party ones. I have been inside four
Renault workshops and my only advice is make sure you find a reputable one.
Three of the four I visited were shocking, both equipment-wise and
technician-wise.

Earlier this year I thought of donating my Duster to a child and getting a
later model. It seems that imports of the 4x4 stopped in 2019 so I could
only get a one year newer model. Looking at various second-hand car
websites it quickly became clear that there are very few of these in
circulation. There were only four on the WeBuyCars site. So, I have decided
to stick with what I have and look after it. 121 000km done and still going
well @ 6.2l/100km, if I drive carefully.

You are welcome to contact me if you have more questions.

On Tuesday, April 30, 2024 at 3:17:36 PM UTC+2 Mike Nieuwoudt wrote:

Manfred Bollner <manfred...@gmail.com>: May 01 08:19AM -0700

Stuart, I had the same question in Namibia concerning the Duster.
Unfortunately Renault stopped the import, no idea why. In Europe they are
still very popular and in production. An alternative might be the Suzuki
Jimny in the 3- or 5-door configuration. Obviously for purists which drive
nothing below the Cruiser, they are no alternative.