Mapsource ?

Hennie Rautenbach

Aug 30, 2021, 6:48:25 AM8/30/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Chaps - where can one download Mapsource from ? New laptop no longer has a CD/DVD drive so I can't use my disk. I tried to google but only found updates - not an actual install copy ? And yes - I know about Basecamp. I use Mapsource for my own reasons... :)

Regards

Fanie du Plessis

Aug 30, 2021, 6:50:46 AM8/30/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Also looking for a copy, my previous one got wiped on a new Win install.

On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 12:48 PM Hennie Rautenbach <hennie.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
Chaps - where can one download Mapsource from ? New laptop no longer has a CD/DVD drive so I can't use my disk. I tried to google but only found updates - not an actual install copy ? And yes - I know about Basecamp. I use Mapsource for my own reasons... :)

Regards

Kevin Smith

Aug 30, 2021, 7:02:13 AM8/30/21

On 30-Aug-21 12:48, Hennie Rautenbach wrote:
Chaps - where can one download Mapsource from ? New laptop no longer has a CD/DVD drive so I can't use my disk. I tried to google but only found updates - not an actual install copy ? And yes - I know about Basecamp. I use Mapsource for my own reasons... :)

Regards

Kevin Smith

Aug 30, 2021, 7:03:37 AM8/30/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com

Marc Hall

Aug 30, 2021, 7:08:56 AM8/30/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hennie, you need to have a Base Camp install on the laptop before you download the Mapsource app from Garmin website.

--
mh...

Marius Liebenberg

Fanie du Plessis

Aug 30, 2021, 8:51:07 AM8/30/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the links, managed to install, hope I can recover my maps from GPS

Hennie Rautenbach

Aug 31, 2021, 3:07:25 AM8/31/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
This link didn;t work for me. It is just an update and is looking for the original installation.

Hennie Rautenbach

Aug 31, 2021, 3:08:40 AM8/31/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Same here. I don;t know how Fanie managed...

Hennie Rautenbach

Aug 31, 2021, 3:12:14 AM8/31/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Ah ! That solved it. Thanks Kevin & Marc...

grahambowring2

Aug 31, 2021, 3:29:02 AM8/31/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
The "update" package is actually the full deal but it looks for particular registry settings which say it is "updating" an existing installation.

A Basemap installation will set the Registry for you... A previous installation of any of the MapSource products ( City Navigator, WorldMap etc) or the MapSource training package should do the same.

Graham Bowring

Hennie Rautenbach

Aug 31, 2021, 4:25:47 AM8/31/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
That is what I did in the end. Thanks chaps... I can now bugger around with my 25 year old track logs...

Peter Levey

Aug 31, 2021, 7:31:30 AM8/31/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
Hennie i just the thing for you.  Mapsource in a single executable file that does not need installing.

I'll be in touch.

--
Peter Levey

Hannes Steyn

Aug 31, 2021, 8:16:47 AM8/31/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I've found my CD with MS. Will upload to dropbox...

On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 12:48 PM Hennie Rautenbach <hennie.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
Chaps - where can one download Mapsource from ? New laptop no longer has a CD/DVD drive so I can't use my disk. I tried to google but only found updates - not an actual install copy ? And yes - I know about Basecamp. I use Mapsource for my own reasons... :)

Regards

Regards
Hannes Steyn

Message has been deleted

Hennie Rautenbach

Aug 31, 2021, 11:20:01 AM8/31/21
to overlan...@googlegroups.com
I am sorted thanks chaps...

On Tue, 31 Aug 2021, 4:26 pm Mike Ferguson <mikef...@gmail.com> wrote:
I still use mapsource as well. But in the last 2 versions one of them gives errors in saving to .gpx files which can be universally used. Still my favorite mapping program for managing , splitting track etc.

Regards
MikeF